Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Neat device for remote travelers

I found this thing called SPOT. See www.findmespot.com
    Its a satellite GPS receiver and a satellite transmitter. About the size of a cell phone powered by Lithium primary batteries.
    It sends a message via satellite to the internet and then addresses an e-mail to a recipient.

What it sends is the SPOT unit's location in Lat-Lon coordinates along with a google map link pinpointing the spot on the map.

It can send out four messages:
    SPOT features four key functions that enable users to send messages to friends, family or emergency responders, based upon varying levels of need:
    Alert 9-1-1 – Alert emergency responders to your exact location
    • SPOT sends one message every 5 minutes until power is depleted or 911 is cancelled.
    Ask for Help – Request help from friends and family in your exact location
    • SPOT sends one message every 5 minutes for one hour or until Help is cancelled
    Check In – Let contacts know where you are and that you’re okay
    • SPOT sends three identical messages to the SPOT service for redundancy. The first of those three messages is delivered.
    Track Progress – Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps™
    • SPOT sends one message every 10 minutes for 24 hours or until SPOT is powered off.
    Would be quite the thing for someone who is going off to explore a very remote area or sailing trip with no other means of communications, in a war zone or remote camping trip. Could manually check in or track progress to provide current location and progress, or send help messages if in trouble. Does not rely on cell phone networks.

Only $150-170

Pretty cool.

oh, Yeah, this site, www.forestry-suppliers.com has some neat toys for someone who spends a lot of time in the woods, too. go on their mail-list at some oil-exploration conference i was at.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

I have a good buddy who just started a hike of the Applachian Trail at the very end of June. He'll be on the trail until December, walking home to Georgia from Maine - 2,700 miles. He was investigating this device to keep his parents from worrying, but he didn't tell me if he went with it or not. He's got a website, but the link detailing where he's at isn't working right now.

Anyway, cool device, there are thousands of people on the AT every year who could use it.
    - Chris.

Comment

• OpaDC
      Established Member
      • Feb 2008
      • Pensacola, FL
      • Ridgid TS3650

I just happened to see a TV add for this the other night. Thought it was pretty cool. My Florida born and raised son now lives in Denver with his South Dakota born and raised fiance. They love hiking and camping in the mountains. I always worry after the fact that they will get caught in a snow storm or just take a wrong turn in the mountains. Looks like they (read: for my peace of mind) may be getting an early Christmas present this year.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

docrowan, he is starting his thru hike late - it will be chilly when he is walking through NC. My dad hiked the trail but he did section hikes. I've hiked it from Connecticut south to Smokey Mountain National Park.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

My wife got one of these to take backpacking.

Comment

• cwithboat
            • Jan 2008
            • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
            • Craftsman Pro 21829

Note that after you buy the device you still have to pay for the service on an annual basis. $100 for the basic and $50 for tracking.
            regards,
            Charlie
            A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
            Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Recently cell phones here have been advertising that and are being sold that send out GPS locator info with the phone call itself. One call to a service help center with location identifiers and they know where you are even if you don't. Easy for personally tracking/locating a family member or friend just by their phone call.

. . . Bad for people who tell their spouses that they are somewhere other than where they really are!
              Last edited by leehljp; 07-12-2008, 03:29 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
                Recently cell phones here have been advertising that and are being sold that send out GPS locator info with the phone call itself. One call to a service help center with location identifiers and they know where you are even if you don't. Easy for personally tracking/locating a family member or friend just by their phone call.

. . . Bad for people who tell their spouses that they are somewhere other than where they really are!

Hank, I'm surprised at you're thinking like that. If you can't be tracked if the phone is off, just turn it off. You know that old BS excuse about no message was received, ha, ha, joke's on them.

In reality, if I'm headed to the woods, maybe I just don't want to be bothered. As for finding my way out, I just follow the breadcrumbs. On second thought, that may not work, because some critter may have eaten the crumbs, so, it's back to the Boy Scout Field Manual.

Comment

Working...