• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rh111
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • KS, USA.

2 cycle vs 4 cycle trimmers

I have been informed that a new trimmer is in my future. The current house has a lot more trimming than the old place. My old trimmer is somewhere around 15 year old hand me down. Have been looking on line and every where and have not found a good reason to say no to either type. I know that I want a straight shaft (I'm 6'1") but, past that I am up in the air. Looking to stay in the $150-$200 range.

More interested in everyone's perspective on the the 2 cycle vs 4 cycle.

Thank you in advance!!!
    It's all good till it's no good any more.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I went through several trimmers before I switched to an Echo about 5 years ago. It is a 2 cycle and I have never had a problem with it. I keep a 1 gal can with mixed fuel for it and the chain saws.

The thing that got me to go Echo was the quick change head. Instead of a spool, it has spring clips that hold short sections of line.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

I put in another vote for Echo. I think that they're a shade over your budget, but they make a good, strong, trimmer. My neighbor has a small lawn care business. He has about 6 trimmers, with 4 or so getting used several hours each day. His favorite trimmer is the Stihl (considerably more $), and his 2nd favorite is Echo.

Good luck.
      Bill

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

2 cycle trimmers are lighter, slightly more maneuverable and take less maintenance. They are also noisier, smellier and you have to mix the gas. This last doesn't bother me because my chainsaw and leaf blower are both 2-cycle so I am mixing gas anyway. If you don't have any other reason to mix gas, go with a 4 cycle, that way you can run your mower and trimmer from the same gas can.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I picked up a 4-cycle straight shaft Cub Cadet from HD at the start of this season to replace an aging 2-cycle trimmer that I'd used for the last 5 years.
          • I like the straight shaft better than the curved shaft. I'm about 5'11" tall, and I had to hunch over to use the old trimmer. Not the case with the new one.
          • The 4 cycle is a little heavier, but I use straight gas on more machines than oil+gas, so I don't need to worry as much about having gas sit around getting old.
          • My biggest complaint about the cub cadet that I got is the string system. It uses individual pieces that are easy to replace once they wear down, but it's nowhere near as convenient as a bump spool.

HD lists the model I have at $189. Can't remember what I paid for it, but it was during one of their beginnig of the season sales.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=527119
          -Joe

Comment

• williwatt
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Springfield, TN
            • Sears 21829

Originally posted by rh111
            I have been informed that a new trimmer is in my future. The current house has a lot more trimming than the old place. My old trimmer is somewhere around 15 year old hand me down. Have been looking on line and every where and have not found a good reason to say no to either type. I know that I want a straight shaft (I'm 6'1") but, past that I am up in the air. Looking to stay in the $150-$200 range.

More interested in everyone's perspective on the the 2 cycle vs 4 cycle.

Thank you in advance!!!
            Have you considered an electric trimmer? I own a 2-cycle gas model and an electric and I will use the electric every time unless I want to cut some heavy weeds that require a steel blade. No mess, no fuss with the electric and it will keep up with any gas model I have seen. My electric has .080 dia "square" string that gives it four cutting edges.

Comment

• captbooshz
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • West Monroe, LA, USA
              • BT3100

I'll throw another vote in for an Echo 2-cycle.

I replaced my 8 year old Ryobi curved shaft this year with an Echo SRM-210. I couldn't be happier. My neighbor has a lawn service and he has the 210 with hundreds of hours and it's his most reliable trimmer.

Brian.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have a Stilh trimmer and a Stilh brush cutter. All the two cyles I have used from them are excellent. When I purchased the heavy duty brush cutter about a year ago.. Stilh had gone to 4 cycle on that for some enviromental thing I don't remember.

The 4 cycle from them is excellent also. So.. I think both are fine with the lighter weight going to the 2 cycle for simple trimming and the heavier weight going to the brush cutter (it has a saw blade that will cut about 4" trees) to dampen vibration that occurs with the thicker target.

Good luck...

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Another vote for the Echo 2-cycle.

I found mine (missing a part or two) at the dump.

For about $15 I have about the best trimmer money can buy.

Comment

• Chris_B
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Cupertino, CA

This is over your budget, but I have a 4-stroke Honda and love it. I prefer 4-stroke engines partly for cleaner burning, but mostly because I am lazy.

Like my 20 year old Honda mower, the trimmer *always* starts on the first pull and is clean and quiet.

Comment

• DUD
                      Royal Jester
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I have a Ryobi 4 cycle that is great, I didn't wear out the 2 cycle just gave it to My

Daughter. I bought this one from Harbor Freight, I think it eas $79.99 reconditioned. Bill
                      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• WayneJ
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Another vote for Echo. I have mine about eight years and no problems. Also have there leaf blower about the same age.
                        Wayne
                        Wayne J

Comment

Working...