• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Disappointment

Yesterday I decided to take LOML and kids for a drive with the hope of taking a scenic route to where we could take pictures of Mt. Tahoma. (a.k.a. Mt. Rainer) We left town on a two lane county road that soon turned to gravel that should, if the map was correct, allow us to drive most the way on dirt/ gravel roads. About 12 miles outside of town we saw a couple of mule deer. About a half mile farther down the road Rebecca spotted three deer that I missed. I stopped the car, backed up and took a few pics. One small buck and two does. After about 30 miles and after a few required turns we came to the end of a County road to a sign that said Private No Trespassing. So we had to go a bit east before we could once again go south then west; drats

Finally we were on SR 410 going west. As we traveled closer and closer to the summit of Washington's Chinook Pass the clouds became darker. That darn weather doppler radar that I viewed online was way wrong! At one point I even had to turn on the wipers. Imagine if you will having to run the wipers while driving on a state hiway in Washington. I'll admit that's not really much of a stretch of the imagination, but we were on the dry side of the rock. We arrived at the summit rest stop which was only partially open due to snow, yup, snow on July 4th! We ain't talking just a little bit of snow here neither. Several feet of snow. I have pictures to prove it:

Exhibit A:

I have no idea who the people are in this pic. It would have been us playing in the snow but since we live in the desert, well comparativly speaking, a farmed valley thanks to irrigation, anyhow you get the idea.... We all were wearing summer attire and the outside temp was 50°F. I had along a couple of jackets just in case but we did not have spare clothes or a jacket for Thomas so we did not play although it looked like fun.

We proceeded over the summit hoping for a miraculous parting of the clouds but it did not happen. Traveled a few miles into Mt. Rainer National Park passing a couple of lakes that still has snow topped ice, one mostly and the other partially covered. We turned around and headed back since LOML's boss had invited us over for a BBQ. Upon cresting the summit Thomas became car sick. Rebecca freaked out which upset Thomas even more. The clouds seemed to thin and lighten to the east so I was able, after helping LOML of course, to take a few more pictures. Looking down the American River valley, which is the valley that SR410 follows. I also took the following picture of a peak of one of the mountians next to the hiway.

Backing up in my tale a bit, as we neared the summit heading west we passed a scenic view. Since I saw it as we were passing and I was traveling at the 50 mph speed limit I said to LOML "we'll have to stop and check this out on our way home." We remembered, I know that might shock ya'll. The viewpoint just happened to be of Fife's Peak named after Jim Fife a pioneer that also happened to live, back then, at Goose Prairie Wa and donated his place to the Boy Scouts of America which became Camp Fife. Fife's Peak is a volcano low profile caldera, or the core of a volcano that remains after the rest disappears. Unfortunately none of the pictures of Fife's Peak turned out, mostly too dark. I did however take this following picture of a flower, the type of which I have not a clue. It is growing up through a 7' foot douglas fir.

You might be wondering about now how on earth I could have named this topic disappointment. I'll admit we had a wonderful drive. We saw a plethora of beautiful sights. We had a safe trip. I have pictures that will spur memories for years to come. Alas the only real disappointment is the main reason for this journey was to be able to take one of those perfect close up shots of the eastern face of Mt. Tahoma so as to be able to post it on this forum so that ya'll that live on the flat lands can enjoy. Suffice it to say you'll just have to wait until the next time. Hopefully todays pictures will bring enjoyment to ya'll. It was a splendid time taking them. We are so blessed to be able to live free in paradise!
    Last edited by Black wallnut; 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Nice pictures but you can keep the snow up in the mountains
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

There is nothing wrong with snow in July (if it is just someplace you are just visiting).

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

We were married on June 22 at Lake Tahoe. There were high, thin clouds but after the typical lousy Memorial Day, it's supposed to be a relatively unbroken stretch of beautiful weather until late November.

Wrong!

On June 23, we had rain, snow, thunderstorms and hail.

Nice photos, Mark.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Great pictures Mark. I have never regretted picking Washington to live in for the past 22 years.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Mark, great pictures. You can keep the snow in July though.

Somewhere my dad has pictures of us kids in shorts playing in a snowbank in July at Yellowstone.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Nice pics, Mark. I always enjoy it when you post pics of your beautiful area.

JR
              JR

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Watch out, Dick. Mark may be vying for your slot as resident photog of the NW territory!! Very nice pices of everything, Mark.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• cwithboat
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                  • Craftsman Pro 21829

How did you miss all the thunderstorms the TV weather bimbos and bimbeaus were raving about? You folks in the midwest and east would die laughing if you heard the ranting about a little lightning here in Seattle. Similar to snow, 3 flakes is a blizzard. I swear, what wimps! Earthquakes, however are a different issue.
                  regards,
                  Charlie
                  A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                  Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

God's country. Ain't it beautiful?

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• shoottx
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2008
                      • Plano, Texas
                      • BT3000

Beautiful pictures!

I can accurately report we had no snow in the northern portion of Texas during the July4th weekend.

I don't see any forecasts of any in the Immediate future, in fact, we have a great forecast for the next seven days:

Overnight: low around 74. South wind around 10 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 96 - Sunday Night: low around 75.
                      Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 97. Heat index values as high as 100.
                      Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 96.
                      Wednesday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High near 94.
                      Thursday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High near 94.
                      Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 98.
                      Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 97.

Great weather!
                      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by crokett
                        You can keep the snow in July though.
                        And the rest of the year, too! Great pictures, Mark but the only white, fluffy stuff I want to see up close is what now covers my chin...

We are in a cold snap in Central Texas. Lows 72-73 and highs 89-92 through next Thursday. 30% cahnce of ISOLATED (Translation, It ain't gonna happen!) thunder storms to Wednesday, with 40% scatttered T-storms on Thursday. 40% = a sprinkle to drive the humidity off the charts.

Back to normal next weekend. Sunny and in the 96+ range.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• Hellrazor
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Abyss, PA
                          • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Pappy
                          Back to normal next weekend. Sunny and in the 96+ range.
                          Ugh. I'd move...

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                            Bandsaw Box Momma
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by cwithboat
                            How did you miss all the thunderstorms the TV weather bimbos and bimbeaus were raving about? You folks in the midwest and east would die laughing if you heard the ranting about a little lightning here in Seattle. Similar to snow, 3 flakes is a blizzard. I swear, what wimps! Earthquakes, however are a different issue.
                            On July 3rd I was at work (10 pm to 6 am) and watched most of the lightning show for a couple of hours, I like watching those things and it was pretty cool to watch. And I do laugh at how the weather people over that way think that its hot at 75 and making a big deal of it and over this way about 109 miles to the east we are praying some days that it cools down to 75 instead of over 100.

The day was very nice where we started and it was nice spending the time with the family and enjoying the scenery. When we got out to take some pictures of Fife's Peak Thomas had a fun time running around the steps and watching the motorcycles coming in to take a break. And dinner that night was great as the food was done in a great way. Some of the family members by marriage are Samoan and they sure know how to cook and marinate things that make it taste awesome.
                            Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• mschrank
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Hood River, OR, USA.
                              • BT3000

Looks like a fun outing! We vacationed in Glacier NP the week previous to the 4th....the road over Logan Pass finally opened on July 2, so we got to play on top of about 10' of snow up there.

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                              I did however take this following picture of a flower, the type of which I have not a clue. It is growing up through a 7' foot douglas fir.
                              We have one of those growing in our back yard...I've always called it a "tulp vine," but I'm not sure that's right.
                              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...