• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

How should I repair this piano bench?

The back of our piano bench has been broken off by a very enthusiastic four year old. I'd rather not replace the whole board because I don't want to have to match the finish. I was thinking I would try to route down the broken parts like you would for a half-lap, glue in some hard maple, and refasten.

But that would put about all the stress on the glue joint... They say the glue is stronger than the wood, but I dunno... it just doesn't feel right.

Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pianobench1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	792598 Click image for larger version

Name:	pianobench2.JPG
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	792599
    Last edited by Alex Franke; 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

A glue joint will withstand repeated hammer blows if clamped and allowed to cure overnight. I tried it with simple, Elmer's glue many years ago. But, like you I would be hesitant. I've always thought that the tiny butt hinges on piano benches are inadequate. I would clamp and glue and then, use a piano/ continuous hinge for better distribution of stress.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

I might go a step farther than ironhats suggestion. Remove screws from inside piece reglue and clamp let sit overnight. Don't forget to glue in both directions. Across the break and where the end meets the corner post. Do not clamp the down the length as this will only serve to misalign the split. Get some slightly larger longer screws. Redrill for slightly longer and larger screws. Try to keep the screw length 1/8 shy of exiting. This should give them good holding power. Put them in. If possible add more screws. This should do the trick. You got lucky in that the split is to the inside. Should look as good as new when your done.

Oh yes and something more I just thought of. Some of those brackets that limit the travel of the seat so it only goes up just past 90 degrees. If they are there sorry I don't see any evidence of them from your photos.
      Last edited by sparkeyjames; 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM. Reason: additional thoughts.

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

The style of leg bracket pretty much guaranteed it would break like that.
        Unless you add the hinge to the leg, using a piano hinge won't lessen the force on the broken part.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• gary
          • May 2004
          • Versailles, KY, USA.

Also, how about reversing the bench and mounting the lid on the opposite rail? That way most of the stress will be on the unbroken piece?

Does the broken piece fit in after removing the loose pieces? If it does, I'd consider repairing it with Epoxy and clamping it up.
          Gary

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

Well, you got some decent advice but since I do this for a living I'll add my two cents. First, take off the bench lid, saving the hardware. Second, loosen the leg bolts and remove the legs. Use Titebond or Elmers to glue the pieces back together, clamp and let dry overnight. Be sure to pad the clamp if it's not already padded. Reinsert with original hardware- do not glue to the legs themselves, do not use longer, larger screws. Check tightness on the screws that hold the brackets. Set the bench on a flat surface, remount the legs and make sure there is no wobble. Reattach the lid and put a limit chain or string or bench lid prop on it. Don't put any load inside the bench they are made for very light storage. Make sure the bottom is firmly attached. Don't set the bench on unequal surfaces and you should be good to go.
            DP
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for all the advice so far. Nice to hear from a piano expert, wardprobst! (How come I can't find anyone who will tune a piano by ear anymore like my Uncle Hans used to? )

I have a monkey wrench to throw into the mix. I loosened the leg hardware and removed the screws and the broken parts fell in pieces. I also noticed that one side had been previously broken and apparently not-so-expertly repaired -- there's glue drizzled on both sides in the break.

I don't know if I'll be able to remove that glue without damaging the mating surfaces and compromising the integrity of the joint...

Here are a couple more pictures that illustrate this more clearly. One break on the left is along the screw hole. The image on the right shows the glue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pianobench3.JPG
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	783178Click image for larger version

Name:	pianobench4.JPG
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	783179

Gary, I like the "turn the bench around" idea -- I might just have to do that. I can get felt pads to cover up where the hinges were so it doesn't look so obvious. . . .and maybe attach a 90-degree stop to help prevent the same problem in the future.
              Last edited by Alex Franke; 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM.
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I believe there was a recent post which mentioned loosening this type of glue with an iron. If you don't get any response more knowledgeable than mine (not saying a lot, I guess) then I would only do this after a trial of your own.

Re: the wardprobst comment... Limit chain!! Of course... Ooooooo, I was soooo close - or maybe not so much - LOL!!

Addendum: Take a minute and go to the www.wardprobst.com and look at the terrific restorations that those folks do. They are truely "craftsmen".
                Last edited by ironhat; 06-30-2008, 11:59 AM. Reason: addendum
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Craftsman 22811

Alex,
                  Go to http://www.ptg.org/findATechnician.php to find an aural technician. Realize also that many of the electronic tuning devices out there are used by technicians as aids- the ear is the judge. The ETD is like a power tool for most of us, gets you in the ball park.
                  You can remove the old glue with heat most likely, if that doesn't work call a technician it will be better than messing up a bench that might cost a couple of hundred dollars to replace.
                  DP

PS Thanks for the compliment Ironhat
                  Last edited by wardprobst; 06-30-2008, 01:54 PM. Reason: PS
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• pierhogunn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I read in the past about using hot white vineager to loosen wood glue
                    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• wardprobst
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by pierhogunn
                      I read in the past about using hot white vineager to loosen wood glue
                      That will work but there is a danger of swelling the wood and possibly damaging the finish. I'd remove as much as you can mechanically, then try to heat soften and remove the rest. It's not much fun to redo another person's repair. We do it all the time which is why we get the big bucks~!
                      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Chapel Hill, NC
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
                        That will work but there is a danger of swelling the wood and possibly damaging the finish. I'd remove as much as you can mechanically, then try to heat soften and remove the rest. It's not much fun to redo another person's repair. We do it all the time which is why we get the big bucks~!
                        Well, I got most of it off with with a chisel -- it was very rubbery actually, so it's not the kind of glue I'm used to. I tried heat to remove the rest, but I think there's still too much space between the mating pieces for a strong glue-up.

So at least for that side I'm back to thinking the best way to repair it is to plane down past the break, glue in a new bock of wood, and then trim it flush... or maybe I can try the re-glue and just mount the lid onto the other rail so it doesn't get as much stress... hmm... I'll sleep on it.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Okay, crazy idea, but I gotta say it...

What about using a new piece of wood on the backside, and taking the existing wood and using it as a veneer? Something strong. I think poplar or another hardwood might do it.

I would think by doing so, you would eliminate the weak points of a glued joint, and from the outside still retain the original look. Yeah, if you open the lid you'd see the difference, but how often is the lid opened?
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                            Okay, crazy idea, but I gotta say it...

What about using a new piece of wood on the backside, and taking the existing wood and using it as a veneer? Something strong. I think poplar or another hardwood might do it.

I would think by doing so, you would eliminate the weak points of a glued joint, and from the outside still retain the original look. Yeah, if you open the lid you'd see the difference, but how often is the lid opened?
                            Ooo -- I like this idea!

I can cut a thin strip off the face of the board with the band saw, but then how would I clean it up? I guess attach it to a backer board and run it over the jointer?
                            Last edited by Alex Franke; 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM. Reason: added question

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

JSUP's idea was good.
                              I'd use a scrificial push block and run it over the table saw, make the offcut the thin strip. Then it would be more or less ready to attach without a lot of further cleanup.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...