• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Gonna Get In Trouble But....

My driveway has a culvert under it and the ends are exposed. I will be putting brick pillars up in the fall but we've been in the house almost 5 years and in that time 6 drivers have backed off one end or the other of the culvert. Two years ago I put reflectors up. Yesterday a woman stopped by to pick up a sink I was giving away. She backed over one of the reflectors and wrecked the end of the culvert - I had to jack her car up and bash a piece of concrete out so she could keep going backwards.

After thinking about it I realized all the drivers who couldn't stay on the driveway were women. I'm just sayin'
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a flagpole 27 inches from the edge of my driveway.
    Two women have backed completely over the thing.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
      After thinking about it I realized all the drivers who couldn't stay on the driveway were women. I'm just sayin'
      I'm cheap. For $1.50 I won't tell Mrs. Davey to check out this thread.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Wanna die laughing? Tell a woman to back your boat down to the ramp...

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

I'm sure you'll all appreciate this (no offense, ladies)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xyn-9cn0nE
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

LOML is actually a very good driver. She was taught by her dad and after 19 years of marriage, she drives a lot like me(my job requires a safety course every two years). Her sister on the other hand thinks she is a great driver. I don't ride with her.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

In the interests of fairness there are men who are stupid drivers too:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...0327/-1/NEWS01
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                I have a flagpole 27 inches from the edge of my driveway.
                Two women have backed completely over the thing.
                Up here we have markers for the snow plows (to show where the streets/driveways end and the grass/landscaping begins).

I watched as a customer leaving my shop backed her car up right over one. These are permanent markers (well, they were permanent). She did quite a bit of damage to her car.

So she came back into the shop and said she wants to make a claim. "For what?" I asked.

"That pole and my car just collided," she said.

Being the a$$ that I am, I said, "I was watching, and I DID see it swerve once it saw you coming, but apparently it couldn't move out of the way fast enough."

She never returned. She was always a PITA anyhow, so I was happy to see her go.

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by germdoc
                  In the interests of fairness there are men who are stupid drivers too:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...0327/-1/NEWS01
                  Yeah, but we're not called the "fair sex".

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Wanna die laughing? Tell a woman to back your boat down to the ramp...

This is funny because I can't back up our little utility trailer at all. Mark got to laughing at me one day when I had to back it up just a few feet and couldn't do it. And this is why I don't go to the dump because it would require me to back up the trailer and don't want the men at the transfer station to laugh to hard at me.
                    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Melissa, don't feel bad. Dinky trailers like that are tough to back up - very short wheelbase. I will haul my dad's 14' flatbed any day over my util trailer. It is much easier to drive a big trailer around than a little one.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mrs. Wallnut
                        This is funny because I can't back up our little utility trailer at all. Mark got to laughing at me one day when I had to back it up just a few feet and couldn't do it. And this is why I don't go to the dump because it would require me to back up the trailer and don't want the men at the transfer station to laugh to hard at me.
                        ah, concern for their welfare. how thoughtful of you.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

LMAO! In my former job position I watched many drivers back up poorly. The worst I ever saw IMO was a husband and wife long haul team where the husband was trying to back into a tight spot, wife was directing. She directed him in the same exact track 4 different times and could not figure out why it did not work! I gave up watching.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • BT-3000, 21829

When I was 19 and a new recruit in the Army Reserve, they gave me a deuce-and-a-half with a workshop on it (I was in crypto repair). Attached to the back of this pig was a 50KW generator on a heavy trailer.

The second time I drove it they made me back the rig into a space only 5 millimeters wider than the truck. I put a gash 2 feet long in the fender of the adjacent truck. Never felt a thing.

As punishment I was assigned to drive 1/4 ton Jeep for the next 6 years. Darn!
                            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

First run I ever made in a TT was to a place called Blue Diamond Supply in Dallas. Found out later it was a set up[ that all new drivers got. The dock was pigeon hole with maybe 12" clearance so a fork could work a flat bed from either side. No room for a straight shot so you had to back in on a turn. Took me over 1/2 hour and gave the 'gang' some good entertainment. Never had a problem backing again!

In the Marines I drove a 5,000 gal foam rig and taught a lot of guys to drive. I had a small Honda and a hitch carrier that the front wheel sat in. That was my training vehicle for backing. If you could control that while backing, you could back anything!
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...