• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Quality materials

I needed some 2x4s to cut down for tomato stakes. I went home with six, hand picked 2x's and began to rip them down into 4 stakes per piece. Well, one of those bad boys started pinching so badly that I had to put a spreader in the curf and had to place another one before I mcompleted the cut. I was called in for supper and left the offending slice lay on the table and didn't return until after work the next evening. I could see that it had a fair, upward bow in it layed on the TS but the worst was yet to come. I piked up the stake and it was so wet that it rusted the TS (I guess that I need more wax- duh!). I chucked the remainder of the board and placed the two pieces that I had cut onto the pile. Three days later, this is what I got out of **one** of the stakes...
    Attached Files
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Check with your local lumber yards that have millwork capabilities, if there are any.
    I used to work at one and they usually had a bin of what they called 'fall' from milling hardwoods. These made great tomato stakes. They were about a full 1" square and 5-7 ft long.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Chiz,

I was ripping some 2x4s for the bathroom project earlier this year and had to use a spreader too. This was on hand-selected supposedly dry wood. I let that piece dry and measured it - it was bowed about 2.5" across 6' of length.

Somebody I know uses 3/4" PVC pipe for tomato stakes. He drives rebar in the drops the pipe over the rebar. It doesn't warp, rot, twist, etc.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Yea, I usually use some 6' steel fence stakes which have held up for quite a few years. I gave them to the daughter last year for her garden (I was unable to tend one) and decided not to ask her for them. She came over as I was cutting the 2x's and said that she forgot that she had mine and had bought some of her own and I could have mine back. Oh well, not a big thing. And, yes, these were also marked 'select'. What a joke.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• iceman61
          • Oct 2007
          • West TN
          • Bosch 4100-09

If those curl just a little more, you might be able to sell them for Sheppard's hooks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

they already look like hockey sticks.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jax
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2007
              • Fernandina Beach FL
              • BT3000

The wood looks fine. I think your saw blade must have an arc in it.

Jack

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

The curves should match the tomato vines pretty soon.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Next time, try some 1/2" (or bigger, if you prefer) galvanized electrical conduit for your stakes. I have a frame on one side of my vegetable garden that is a U shape of electrical conduit, you can hang either netting or string from it and let the vining plants climb up it. Comes from Square Foot Gardening, and works like a charm. Lasts longer than wooden stakes too.

Jim

Comment

• Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

I use PVC and I must say it is really easy to work with.
                    Alex

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by crokett
                      Somebody I know uses 3/4" PVC pipe for tomato stakes. He drives rebar in the drops the pipe over the rebar. It doesn't warp, rot, twist, etc.
                      Go to HD or Lowes and buy some 10' sections of 3/8 EMT, cut 4' off and hammer one end flat. I use the 4' stakes for the young tomato plants and then the 6' ones when they get about 2' tall.

edit: For those who don't work around electric, EMT is galv conduit.

Comment

Working...