• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Battery Resurrection

My previous post requested recommendations for a cheap cordless screwdrive since one of my batteries died. It happed to be a Craftsman (B&D) VersaPak. I received several suggestions and finally did a Google Search on "VersaPak" to find a new one. One of the links came up that pointed to an Ebay page where someone was selling information on how to resurrect Ni-Cad batteries called "battery resurrection" (bring 'em back to life after they are dead). It peaked my interest so I did another Google search on "Battery Resurrection". After reading through several links I found a link to the information which is free.

I won't try to explain the whole process, but basically you use a technique called "voltage surging" by giving the dead battery a "hit" via a 12v battery. It works for all types of Ni-Cad batteries. I followed the directions for my dead VersaPak and it does work. Anybody trying this be sure to wear your goggles and don't exceed the charging time. Try at your own risk.

This link also explains why your Ni-Cad batteries go dead. It sounds like it could be accurate to me but I am not an Electrical Engineer or chemist. Here is the link:

http://www.doorsxp.com/YSUUSY_BATT1.html

Bob
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

well i'm not convinced that it works 100% of the time or even as much as 50%of the time, and who knows how long it will last, but if your battery pack is dead and otherwise useless, it can't make your battery situation worse to try it (However, use caution, beware of exploding batteries, you should know a bit of what you are doing. Objects that don't want to absorb power being shoved at it tend to explode or catch fire).
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

There are battery rebuilding businesses out there that doesn't require and acts of daring-do - LOL! Anyway, Bob, let us know how long the jump-start lasts for you. Interesting. Here are a couple of rebuilders - I'm sure that there are more. I can only speak for the good job that Primecell did on my Makita batteries at half the price of new. www.primecell.com www.voltmanbatteries.com
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

You can rebuild them yourselves also if you have soldering skills. You can order sub-c cells online and replace the ones that have went bad. Normally it is only 1-2 per pack and all of my cordless batteries come apart easily with a security driver or Torx bit. It is an easy fix for most. Probably not for the B&D's you were dealing with on your screwdriver though.
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I tried the surge thing on a couple old B&D 9.5v battery packs. It worked a little bit. I got about another 15% capacity form the bad pack. The pack was so far gone another 15% was like 2 minutes of working time directly after a charge, and few more hours of holding time.

Ebay had a whole bunch of versapack offers last time I looked.
          Erik

Comment

• mudder
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • I live in a house
            • Delta 36-650

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            well i'm not convinced that it works 100% of the time or even as much as 50%of the time, and who knows how long it will last, but if your battery pack is dead and otherwise useless, it can't make your battery situation worse to try it (However, use caution, beware of exploding batteries, you should know a bit of what you are doing. Objects that don't want to absorb power being shoved at it tend to explode or catch fire).

I do it a little differently. I isolate the dead cell and use a 6 volt lantern battery to "shock-it" and so far I have had a 100% success rate on 2 of my batteries, 3 that my father in law had and one from my brother in law. I used the "treatment" on one of my batteries not quite 4 years ago and it's still going strong. My second battery is also going strong 2 years after the treatment.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I never tried doing it to an individual cell, might just have to give that a try.
              Erik

Comment

Working...