• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Amazon Rant

I wish the folks at Amazon would just look at themselves once in a while...

Last night I noticed that the photo displayed in the listing for a Barracuda CSC500 lathe chuck (which is adjusted by two levers) contained a photo of the newer and more expensive CSC500K chuck, which uses a key to adjust. Thinking the errant photo to be misleading, I input a feedback message through Amazon's photo comment mechanism, explaining the error in considerable detail. This morning I received a message from Amazon stating that they would not be revising the listing, because they "couldn't duplicate the problem..." I realize that editorial errors are certain to occur when so much info is provided for so many items, but when somebody points out an error, they should listen. It's as much for their own benefit as anyone else's.

Another example occurred this morning, when I looked at the Friday Sale, and clicked on a CH cordless screwdriver for more info. The listing states that "people who looked at this item ultimately purchased... etc. etc. etc." Apparently, 1/3 of the people who looked at this screwdriver ultimately purchased a 6-quart food steamer, another 1/3 purchased a Tommy Hilfiger bath towel, and the rest of them purchased a 3-piece cast iron skillet set... Now that makes a lot of sense...

This kind of thing happens all over Amazon, and does nothing to bolster their image or reputation. I guess they think we're all imbeciles out here in customer land...

Rant off.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Not all, just some.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Most people don't care. And who knows, maybe the folks who bought the screwdriver also bought the cooking set? Life doesn't make sense.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I never even see those anymore. Not after I bought my Drill Dr. (after hearing about it via Schonce, here), and one of them showing the left handed chuck. They were still carrying the chuck for the old model, not the new one. Didn't carry it for a year, after.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I was looking for some boat elecronics last year, they had a item described as a Fish Finder marine GPS Navigator, at a good price for a combo device, and I was really excited except it didn't really have any GPS function to it as I found out in the manufacturers website. So I suggested they just call it a Fish Finder like all the other similar products: Here's the response:

Greetings from Amazon.com,
          Thank you for using the Catalog Update Form.
          For ASIN: B000ES8AWI, Title: Garmin Fishfinder 140 Marine GPS Navigator, we have received your updates to the attributes listed below. Beneath each attribute we include the action we have taken.

Attribute: Title
          Current value: Garmin Fishfinder 140 Marine GPS Navigator
          Your suggestion: Garmin Fishfinder 140
          Action: None. Incorrect usage.

Data accuracy is highly important to us. We appreciate the time you have taken to submit your updates to us.
          Best regards,

Catalog Department

"Incorrect usage"??? The darn thing had no GPS navigator capability, altho the title darn well claimed it. So I don't waste my time anymore trying to make Amazon's catalog better.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Yep, Loring. That is another excellent example of the ineptitude I've been talking about. I also forgot to mention that I bought a Freud router bit from them after being assured by them that it was one of the new Quadra-Cuts, rather than the obsolete 2-cutter models. It wasn't. After three re-ships, supposedly from different locations, and further "assurances" from warehouse personnel, I still had received only the discontinued units. Maddening...

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I suspect the whole deal with Amazon is that they try to keep indirect labor costs as low as possible. That is, they have poeple to fulfil the normal shipping and handling warehousing functions, but people who assist, answer questions, handle orders etc. is kept to a minimum and in a way i repsect that - There are some poeple who require a lot of hand holding and have a lot of problems and need special attentionm, and there are people who for the most part don't. people who require "low maintenance" do well to shop there.

by automating the catalog, information, billing and services (have you ever tried to find a phone number for someone at Amazon customer service - its buried about 20 pages down), they keep prices low. I'm generally a low maintenance shopper, but if they screw up and it needs fixing, I sure hope there's someone there to take care of me

basically the catalog pages are cut and paste (low labor, few original words written at Amazon, all cut and pasted from manufacturer info) or self service (customer reviews instead of advice from a salesman). Low labor expense and its a clever web model. I'll bet Amazon has 1/3 the labor cost content per dollar revenue of most department stores (like target or wally-world).
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-20-2008, 02:31 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Does anybody besides me miss the days when all Amazon sold was books?

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

I understand the cost-conscious, unskilled labor thing, but don't tell somebody something is when it ain't... repeatedly. And don't take an irresponsible attitude when somebody offers that a listing is incorrect. That's what they put the feedback system in there for in the first place. And I can't see how repeated shipments and sendbacks, with the final result being a disgruntled customer and no sale, is in any way a cost savings.

Comment

Working...