• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Another uncle just passed away...

I just answered the phone as i replied to a post and found out that another uncle of mine just passed away a few hours ago in pakistan. he was my mom's older brother. she lost her first brother back in january this year, and now another. she's the youngest of her 13 siblings. there are a few of her siblings that have been very sick for some time now and i am afraid that she is going to have to go through this again. and i cant be there to comfort her personally. she's back in canada.

i cant even visit her primarily because the lack of interest of our government to rectify the immigration crisis that we have had for the last seven or so years! i have been in que for a green card since 2004 or 2005 (i cant remember anymore!) and still no word on when i will get it. in order for me to travel, i need to apply for travel documents blah blah blah ..... and that takes time, but they are only good for a year and they cost a lot...... its just ridiculous! instead of our govt fixing problems here in the US, we have been busy in the "extracurricular activities" abroad that is draining this country of its resources and financially.

sorry it got long, had to get it off my chest.
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Sorry to hear of the death. That's a lot to handle in a short time period. If it helps, tell her we'll be saying a prayer for the loved ones left behind.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Sorry to hear about your uncle. My mother came from a large family. She was also the youngest. When one of her siblings or their spouse would die, it seemed to take a piece out of her.

I share your frustration with the INS. Before my parents became citizens, my mother had to return to England for her father's funeral. There was a lot of red tape. She had to prove that the families taxes were up to date before they would let her leave.

We also had to go to the post office every January to register as aliens. I don't know when they stopped that.

I have been trying to get a copy of my naturalization certificate, that was lost or stolen, for years. If I didn't have a passport, I would be in trouble.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to hear about the loss. I went through a similar loss losing my mothers brother, and my aunts husbands within a 2 year time frame. That was not all that long ago either. It sucks to know they are gone, but my life is far richer for them having been here and shared their lives with me...

As far as the travel problems go... I hate to say it, but you are completely correct. Had this been 7 years ago, or pre 9-11-2001, you would not be having such a tough time getting to the middle east and back. An unfortunate side effect for the innocent.

No worse than what U.S. citizens of Japanese and German ancestry had to put up with from our government during WW-2.

I guess they might dig up McCarthy and run him for office again?
        Last edited by dbhost; 06-10-2008, 11:31 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

Sorry to hear about your loss & the paperwork situation. It's a tough combination to deal with.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Omar, I'm sorry for your troubles. I hope your mother is able to be with her family during their time of need.
            Originally posted by dbhost
            As far as the travel problems go... I hate to say it, but you are completely correct. Had this been 7 years ago, or pre 9-11-2001, you would not be having such a tough time getting to the middle east and back. An unfortunate side effect for the innocent.
            I'm not sure the problem is worse now than pre-9/11.

Focusing on the particular issue Omar raises, and NOT the greater issue of immigration, we have a real problem with adminstering proper visas. We have not funded the State Department to deal with this issue. I used to work for a Canadian company prior to 9/11, and we had many immigrants at my facility. It took years to process a green-card request, with many requests getting lost or misplaced. Once a request was granted, an "appointment" with the State Department office in LA was arranged.

In order to get into this appointment, the applicant and his family would have to stand in the street outside the federal building in downtown LA starting at 2am. Any later than that and the line would be too long to deal with the number of applicants with "appointments" on that day. Downtown LA is a place which is not appropriate for families at 2am.

There are similar issues with temporary worker permits. I raise these issues not to present an "America in crisis" case, a la Lou Dobbs or your favorite pundit. I only mean to point out that among the many immigration issues is the very practical one of having the computer systems and staff necessary to handle the normal everyday flow of people into and out of our country.

As Omar points out, the results are human consequences and some real heartache.

JR
            JR

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Omar,

Sorry to hear of your loss, our thoughts are with you and your family.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

Omar, I am truly sorry for the loss and do feel for your frustration with the process. I am a little confused though. You are complaining about "our" government, yet it doesn't sound as though you are a US citizen. Please correct me if I have misunderstood. Which government are you referring to?

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                primarily because the lack of interest of our government to rectify the immigration crisis that we have had for the last seven or so years! i have been in que for a green card since 2004 or 2005

its just ridiculous! instead of our govt fixing problems here in the US
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...