• sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Clothes hanger HDTV antenna.

I'm not sure where this should have been put. This fits so many different
    catagories. Why spend $$$ for one when you can make your own over the
    air HDTV antenna with clothes hangers a piece of wood, some washers and wood screws.
    Actually works for any UHF reception not just HDTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

or maybe this one.

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 06-08-2008, 09:16 AM.
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

wonder which one is worthwhile trying...

gychang

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's no magic to HD TV antennas, basically the frequencies are the same band so your old antenna, if it worked for analog OTA TV, will work for digital OTA TV (BTW, digital does not equal HD... Digital an be HD but does not have to be.).

I think people will find that a marginal analog TV signal may be watchable with snow, but that a marginal Digital TV signal will result in breakups, freezes and pixelation and gaps in sound that will render it unwatchable.

So the only special magic in digital antennas will be maybe a better one is required. A properly engineered antenna will work better in marginal signal situations than a homebrew. If you have a good signal, a short piece of wire will do.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        there's no magic to HD TV antennas, basically the frequencies are the same band so your old antenna, if it worked for analog OTA TV, will work for digital OTA TV (BTW, digital does not equal HD... Digital an be HD but does not have to be.).
        This is something that I both wonder, and I believe a LOT of people fall for. They think that a new antenna, will fix their tv.
        That said, I looked at some tv's the other day, and they were listed as analog, and HD. I saw nothing that said wether or not they had a digital tuner. I can hook my old tv, currently to the old attic antenna, and receive a signal that shows "broadcast in HD", so HD tells me nothing.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

HD or High Definition is not in and of itself digital.

They've tried in analog, but digital is better. When you see the caption, "...broadcast in HD...", it only means that the signal is being sent over the air in both analog and digital. Digital is good but as earlier post mentioned, it can be lost in weak signals.

Comment

Working...