old woodworking tools display

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LCHIEN
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2002
    • 22085
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

    #1

    old woodworking tools display

    while on vacation last week I saw these WW equipment in a museum.
    Beautiful belt driven table saw, planer, jointer, bandsaw and lathe machines.

    Any guesses what museum I saw them in?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-03-2008, 01:25 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • goslin23
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 233
    • Richmond, TX
    • Rigid TS3650

    #2
    Is this not a miniature display? If not I'm stumped.
    If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

    Comment

    • cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • 4503
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

      #3
      Some sort of maritime museum? I can't imagine any other industry where they'd use machines like that which would have a museum devoted to them. I was thinking something to do with Edison but are those machines too new?
      Last edited by cgallery; 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM.

      Comment

      • germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 3567
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

        #4
        All I can think of, is where are the safety guards and protective equipment on these workers? I guess they were more expendable back then...

        As far as where it's at, I'm going to guess somewhere in New England. Connecticut?
        Jeff


        “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

        Comment

        • dkerfoot
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • 1094
          • Holland, Michigan
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          I'd guess that would be an Amish workshop - No electricity! Not much different than they are now. The one I saw actually had all the belts running under the floor, so it was marginally safer.
          Doug Kerfoot
          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

          Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          KeyLlama.com

          Comment

          • LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • 6693
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

            #6
            Greenfield Village? I don't know why I think that, other that it being somewhere I've always wanted to go, and the period clothing and the factory building look about right.
            Larry

            Comment

            • Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • 4301
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

              #7
              Aviation museum?
              Lee

              Comment

              • cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • 15216
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

                #8
                It all looks like a miniaturized working scale model.
                .

                Comment

                • LCHIEN
                  Super Moderator
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 22085
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

                  #9
                  Those are full size actual machines, and the mannequins, too. 12" TS. 24" Thickness planer, and 12" Jointer maybe bigger than you are used to make the men seem small.
                  The power source is that green thing visible in two pictures (between TS and jointer) driving the belt distribution system. Its an electric motor.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-03-2008, 08:00 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                  Comment

                  • jking
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2003
                    • 972
                    • Des Moines, IA.
                    • BT3100

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Stytooner
                    Aviation museum?
                    Yes, although I don't know where. You can read the text on the display sign for the table saw. It indicates this is aviation related.

                    Comment

                    • crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • 10627
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

                      #11
                      Originally posted by jking
                      Yes, although I don't know where. You can read the text on the display sign for the table saw. It indicates this is aviation related.
                      Maybe not. The sign also says something about boats. So could be a shipyard.
                      David

                      The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

                      Comment

                      • ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 2553
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                        #12
                        The TS brought to mind the thread a while back on the use of a 'half-fence'. I wonder when and why that all changed to the current standard?
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

                        Comment

                        • LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 4890
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

                          #13
                          Originally posted by ironhat
                          The TS brought to mind the thread a while back on the use of a 'half-fence'. I wonder when and why that all changed to the current standard?
                          Why, I believe we can help with. Plywood.
                          Once manufactured sheet goods started being used, the longer fence was a benefit for ripping the sheets down.

                          Another factor, may have been the manufacturing costs. (accuracy and cost of one point squaring, verses the adjustments/squaring on a full fence).


                          These shops, with the old leather belts, could be run on various things. Waterwheels, (riverfront districts), Horse powered (two words, like the Amish/Mennonites, and I believe I read somewhere on the east coast, one may have been windmill driven.
                          I have a hot rod builder friend, whose shop has/still uses some of these old type machines, although, now run via an electric motor. The same principles were used when they started selling more home WW equipment, with those one and two spindle motors.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

                          Comment

                          • Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • 1867
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

                            #14
                            That looks like the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle, second floor of the Old Red Barn where Bill Boeing started building airplanes. Been in there several times, and am always impressed what they were able to do with those large belt-driven tools.
                            Bill in Buena Park

                            Comment

                            • Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 1867
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

                              #15
                              Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              The power source is that green thing visible in two pictures (between TS and jointer) driving the belt distribution system. Its an electric motor.
                              Loring, are you sure that's electric? That looks alot like an old (now considered antique) single-piston large-flywheel gasoline engine, such as was used to power farm equipment.

                              On this antique farm engine webpage, http://www.enginads.com/, you'll see displayed, "For Sale: 6hp Stover X, nice original" - very similar to what you have displayed.

                              These things would really "chug-chug" when running - imagine having to be the guy on the machine working right next to the engine.
                              Bill in Buena Park

                              Comment

                              Working...