• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

XP Home vs XP Pro

This thread revisits a question I asked a couple years ago, but with a different scenario. Before, I was asking about a business workstation on a small network. Now, I'm asking about a standalone home computer.

I run Windows 2000 at home, and it more than fulfills my needs. In the last few weeks, however, I have run into two programs (iTunes, Microsoft Streets & Trips 2008) that won't run on Win2000 and require XP or Vista. I figure that situation is only going to get worse. So I'm looking at upgrading to XP and running that for the next two or three years until the Vista/whatever-is-next debacle sorts itself out.

As stated, the machine is a standalone. No network, and I don't foresee that changing soon, if ever. (But never say never when talking about computers.)

I don't even have Internet access at the house. I shut it off about three years ago, when nothing but intolerably-slow dial-up was available. I can get cable or DSL now; but I really haven't felt deprived, so I have no immediate plans to subscribe to either.

So: no network, no Internet, not even an anti-virus program installed.

The upgrade version of XP Home is $100. XP Pro (which I run at work) is $200.

Realistically speaking, is there any reason I can't save myself a hundred dollar bill on this one?
    Larry
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

You can get XP Pro from Neweg for $130:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116400

Well worth the extra $30 IMHO, but then I'm not a fan of stripped-down "home" versions of any software.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If I recall correctly, the only differences between XP Home and Pro are around networking. XP Home cannot join a domain, can't use remote access and support etc, and there are limitations on the number of computers sharing printers, folders etc.

A full comparison is here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...choosing2.mspx
      Chr's

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

If it is not networked, get Home. I run Pro on all mine with my home network but there is no reason I could not do what I need with Home. I use Pro because I get it for free.
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Even if it is not networked use Pro. There are few more things than networking that make Pro a little easier to use. Besides, just because it is not networked now doesn't mean it never will be.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

I have XP Pro on one computer, and XP Home on the other. They are linked via a LAN. Personally, I don't see any difference between the two. But I'm not much with computers, either.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by crokett
              There are few more things than networking that make Pro a little easier to use.
              Such as ...?

I am also one to generally not use "cut down" versions of software. But for what I foresee as an interim install, I don't want to pay the extra money if it's not really necessary. There's no point in paying double (for the retail upgrade versions: I can't use an OEM copy because I may upgrade the computer itself) just for the sake of knowing I have Pro if there are no Pro features I genuinely need.

I do, however, need to be able to create multiple user accounts, some with restricted user rights. I read somewhere that XP Home makes all users Administrators by default. That's okay IF the account type can be changed -- can it?

Also, does Home allow you to use the Windows Classic skin, ala 2000? I really dislike the default Fisher-Price skin.
              Larry

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

I run XP home on all my (networked) Windows PCs at home. A total of 3 (plus a Linux box (or occasionally more) on the network. No problems at all. Looking at the linked chart, I can't see any reason to go with Pro for home use, even in a networked environment, unless you are a network administrator and want to use advanced features for networking. File and printer sharing works just fine with home, and few users will ever use much more than that on a home PC.

Jim

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
                  Such as ...?

I do, however, need to be able to create multiple user accounts, some with restricted user rights. I read somewhere that XP Home makes all users Administrators by default. That's okay IF the account type can be changed -- can it?

Also, does Home allow you to use the Windows Classic skin, ala 2000? I really dislike the default Fisher-Price skin.
                  Yes, you can create restricted users in home. You don't have as much control as with Pro, but restricted does exist, and prevents installing software, etc.

The classic skin is there, and I use it on all of my machines.

Jim

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

I may be wrong but I think on big difference not mentioned in the linked chart is the other bundled software you get with pro. I've home @ home and do not have any of the MS office programs. Don't all these come with Pro?

At work I have pro.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• jziegler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Salem, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                      I may be wrong but I think on big difference not mentioned in the linked chart is the other bundled software you get with pro. I've home @ home and do not have any of the MS office programs. Don't all these come with Pro?

At work I have pro.
                      Nope. Office is the real cash cow for Microsoft, and they always make you pay for it. But I suspect that most computers bundled with pro also have some form of office bundled with them.

Jim

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

The other difference is that Pro supports to chips. So you can have up to eight cores running with pro (two chips, each with four cores).

There are a few admin things that are nicer about Pro. Don't know if they are worth $30 extra, though.

Comment

• rjwaldren
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Fresno, CA

Home should be fine for your purposes, but that's the first time I've ever said that. Only for the licensing issue though, if you were upgrading HW I'd say pro. OEM vs Retail makes a big price difference and your paying only for the legal ability to move it to a different PC.

It doesn't sound like you'll be doing anything to elaborate with it. Adding DSL and maybe a shared fold/printer or two don't count as advanced networking.

The main additional feature of Pro that I actually use is Remote Desktop, but there are alternatives to that. I rarely sit at my home Windows PC, I just RD to it when needed from my Linux laptop.

The only time I've ever hit a wall with someones XP home box was with Remote Assistance. You can RA into a Home box but you can only RA out (provide assistance) from a pro box - That's my recollection at least.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • BT-3000, 21829

Act fast! I believe Microsoft will discontinue sales of XP next month.
                            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• TheOne
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2006

Last I heard that is correct. MS hasn't sold the boxed version of Home or PRO for quite a while. Only the OEM versions are available now. Home OEM can be had for around $100 and PRO OEM for around $140. Retailing ends some time in June. After that only available preinstalled.

But then if you want to try something totally different, (here it comes. had to happen when MS topic comes up.) switch to linux. Some linux distributions even try to give you the windows eperience, minus the blue screen of death of course. And the best part is it's free. Check out www.distrowatch.com and pick a flavour.

Comment

Working...