• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

"Good versus "Nostalgia"

My wife was playing music from one of her playlists. After hearing several songs, when one finished, I said "That's some pretty good music". She said "Everything I have on here is good music". I think there's something like a 3 second delay between songs. As soon as she said that, Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally" started playing.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Ed

I can relate to that. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I find as I'm getting older I have a harder time telling the difference between what's good versus just something nostalgic. Maybe it's the memories that are associated with something that make it good?
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

There are a whole series of songs from my childhood I associate with growing up, hanging out at the swimming pool, etc. They were not great songs, but boy do they trigger a lot of emotional memories.

"Wendy", "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress", "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "California Dreamin'" come to mind right this moment...
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

For me it is a bit of both. Some songs are good, some are nostalgic and some are both. I listen to the 80s channel on my sat. radio. Of the not-good songs, some have gotten better mostly due to nostalgia.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

I'm finding there is still a lot of music I still consider good, after all those years. "Long Tall Sally" isn't one of them. Now "Maybeline" is a different story. But they do bring back good memories.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I like Long Tall Sally. But that's probably because I knew a woman named Sally once. OTOH hand another song that reminds me of her is Devil With The Blue Dress...
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

My backyard neighbor has his outdoor radio playing oldies. It seems to me that while many songs are good, there are many that really remind me of certain times in my life, or special happenings. Then there are some oldies that I just get a yearn to hear, like a good toe tapper.

A while back, a friend gave me a big box of cassettes (tapes), as they had made CD copies. As I looked through the selections there were several famous waltzes. I played one (yes, I still have a working cassette deck). I have to say it relaxed the heck out of me. They almost gave the feeling you were in this huge ballroom, and there were many dancing wearing elaborate costumes.

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Even though it's before my time, I've got a soft spot for big band music.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

Wendy

Germdoc:

My oldest daugher's name is Wendy. She wasn't named after the song exactly, but it sure played into the decision. I saw the Association perform live about 5 years ago, and they were still pretty good.

Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

Originally posted by germdoc
                      There are a whole series of songs from my childhood I associate with growing up, hanging out at the swimming pool, etc. They were not great songs, but boy do they trigger a lot of emotional memories....
                      Certainly agree with your statement. Music is an audio bookmark for our memories.

happy listening and remembering.
                      Russ

Comment

Working...