• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone use ZipCar?

I just signed up for ZipCar (www.zipcar.com) through my workplace. Anyone else tried it?

It seems like a pretty cool idea. They have a bunch of cars scattered about the country and you can reserve them and rent them hourly. We're a one car family and I usually take the bus to work, so it a pretty good deal for me if I just need a car for a little while or if the wife has the car out of town -- or rent an SUV for $5 an hour to haul lumber (Gas and insurance are apparently included, by the way.)

But what strikes me as most interesting is that I can join here for a song and reserve/rent a car for excursions or day trips in Chicago or DC when I visit friends there.

So anyone have any experiece with it? I'll let you know how it goes once I get fully approved -- they need to check driving records for insurance purposes I guess. My main concern is availability, but I though I'd give it a try in any case.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Let me know how it goes. I occasionally need a truck to haul stuff too and 5 bucks an hr seems like a good deal
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
      I just signed up for ZipCar (www.zipcar.com) through my workplace. Anyone else tried it? ess. My main concern is availability, but I though I'd give it a try in any case.
      I was just at the House of Blues in Chicago last night looking at these things while waiting for the valet. They had three brand new Volvo S40's available.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

My wife's coworker lives in DC with her boyfriend. They don't own a car and
        get around town with Metro. For day trips they use ZipCar. They also used
        it to go on vacation to Ohio. There are daily mileage limits, though. They
        really like it. I'd probably do it if I didn't need a car every day. You do have
        to pay a yearly fee but you don't pay for gas, insurance, and maintenance.
        Here are rates for DC area for in-frequent use. Not bad.

http://www.zipcar.com/dc/details-plans?plan_key=odp

Comment

• MilDoc

Great service according to friends that live where it is available, but I don't. Wish i did.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i looked... no zip cars near the airports where i would want to pick one up.
            not really cheaper than rental cars.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...