A Christmas Idea, tools are not just for the shop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

A Christmas Idea, tools are not just for the shop.

The discussion on being allowed in the kitchen got me to thinking, you need tools in the kitchen too!

Last night I made some cookies, dumped all the stuff but the M&M's in the bowl and turned the mixer on, waited a few minutes, added the M&M's and then scooped the dough onto a cookie sheet, 11.5 min later I am eating fresh warm cookies. (OK, I am burning my mouth with hot out of the oven molten M&M's). The point being, the mixer and the scoop made a chore into a pleasant experience. So this Christmas, or gift-giving holiday of choice, give yourself and the LOYL the tools the kitchen needs. I recommend a KitchenAid mixer. The one where the bowl is lifted up rather than the one where the head tilts. Think Drill Press. The scoops are like ice cream scoops with a lever that moves a scraper across the bowl of the scoop and ejects the contents. They are available in various sizes. Get little ones for cookies and large ones for pancakes and muffins. Think set of chisels.

Anyone with similar thoughts?

Bill, that's what I think and I am sticking to it until I change my mind!
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

We bought the mixer you recommend. But it was slightly too tall to fit under the cabinets. Had to go with the other one.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

I think someone should invent a resealable caulking tube. That way you could put your cookie dough or pancake batter in it & use your caulking gun to dispense the dough or batter.

Seriously though, I've been eyeballing that same mixer at Sam's for awhile now. I think it's $250 - $260 for the 6 quart professional model. It would making short work out of mixing drywall mud & pizza dough.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by iceman61
        Seriously though, I've been eyeballing that same mixer at Sam's for awhile now. I think it's $250 - $260 for the 6 quart professional model. It would making short work out of mixing drywall mud & pizza dough.
        Gosh for that kinda "dough" you could get a Bosch 1617EVSPK and have money left over to make a mounting jig to hold it over the bowl. it would make a great variable speed mixer and you could use it in the shop when not working in the kitchen.

Hmmm, what happens to cookie dough at 22,000 RPM?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by iceman61
          I think someone should invent a resealable caulking tube. That way you could put your cookie dough or pancake batter in it & use your caulking gun to dispense the dough or batter.
          That will probably get you in less trouble than using LOYL's cookie-shooter to caulk the bathtub...

I should also point out that giving LOYL any gifts that suggest her domesticity can also be a hazardous activity, depending on the individual person. DAMHIKT

Comment

• iceman61
            • Oct 2007
            • West TN
            • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Hmmm, what happens to cookie dough at 22,000 RPM?
            It becomes instantly installed "Spackle"

Comment

• pacwind3
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Vancouver, WA
              • Bosch 4100

I was told once: a smart man never gives his wife a gift that has a power cord attached.
              Of course I was told this AFTER haven given my EX-wife a carpet cleaner for Christmas. ( I was young, dumb and first Christmas together).
              That being said, I do think the Kitchenaid mixer is one of the few exceptions to above rule.

Comment

• rnelson0
                Established Member
                • Feb 2008
                • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                • Firestorm FS2500TS

They actually make cookie guns. My wife inherited the one my mother used to bake sugar cookies in all sorts of shapes, christmas trees, bells, dogs, snowmen, etc. Awesome sugar cookies coupled with awesome memories of helping mom cook. And by cook, I mean stealing raw cookie dough when I thought she wasn't looking. Which I still do, much to my wife's chagrin.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                  I recommend a KitchenAid mixer. The one where the bowl is lifted up rather than the one where the head tilts. Think Drill Press. The scoops are like ice cream scoops with a lever that moves a scraper across the bowl of the scoop and ejects the contents. They are available in various sizes. Get little ones for cookies and large ones for pancakes and muffins. Think set of chisels.

Anyone with similar thoughts?

Bill, that's what I think and I am sticking to it until I change my mind!
                  Great idea, but I definitely prefer the tilt head type. It is MUCH easier to get the bowl on and off the mixer with the tilt head. And the Artisan series has the same power rating as the older heavy duty models, but with the tilt head instead of the bowl lift.

I have the Ultra Power, and the extra power from the Artisan and above isn't really necessary, the Ultra Power will do everything but huge batches of bread.

Jim

Comment

• annunaki
                    • Jan 2008
                    • White Springs, Florida
                    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Painting made easy

Get a big blender, place it in the middle of the room, add a long extension cord that reaches to another room, place paint of choice into blender, go into adjacent room and plug in.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by annunaki
                      Get a big blender, place it in the middle of the room, add a long extension cord that reaches to another room, place paint of choice into blender, go into adjacent room and plug in.
                      Scrounge Craigslst for a used blender first. DO NOT use the one in SWMBO's kitchen for this!

LOML has had an Oster Regency Kitchen Center for many years. Great appliance, but do not use it to make Divinity. Ther is a plastic gear in the head that doesn't like mixing divinity as it thickens. (DAMHIKT - TWICE!)
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

I was convinced to buy the 600 [The lift type] by a review that said the Artisan had plactic gears that would strip with heavy dough.

I have had the 600 for several years and it makes baking a snap. You just can't get the right consistency of the creamed butter and sugar ith a hand mixer.

I just bought the ice cream maker attachment. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Now THIS is a blender.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            Now THIS is a blender.
                            I know a guy who inherited one of those from his mother, she made chicken soup with it. --- ya know what's coming don't ya --- He said it was a real time saver, you don't have to boil the chicken first to take the bones out!

Bill, On the Sunny Oregon Coast, we had a heavy mist the other morning, only about a half of an inch in the rain gauge.

Comment

• sscherin
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have that Kitchinaid mixer and I was the one that asked for it!
                              Did you know they make a Ice cream maker kit for it?
                              It has a new bowl you freeze and a special paddle.

Get a Cuisinart too.. you can make pie crust in about 2 minutes with it.
                              It also makes great crushed ice for drinks.. Even used it for Margraitas once when the hand blender broke... Just watch how full you get it

I'd never get LOML an appliance she didn't ask for..
                              William's Law--
                              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...