• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Rant about cell phones while driving

My job sometimes requires driving from point to point to fix computer issues that can't be fixed remotely.

In the last two years I've noticed the number of people talking on their cell phones while driving has skyrocketed. It seems there are people that never, ever, put down their phones during their entire car trip.

I understand getting a quick call and wanting to take it. But today I had to drive 12 miles in somewhat heavy traffic and I spotted a number of drivers that never seemed to put down their phones.

And I can unequivocally say that people that are talking on the phone while driving make terrible drivers. They make last-minute lane changes to get to their off-ramps. They follow too closely because they aren't paying attention. Or they drive too slowly to compensate for the fact that they are talking on their phones.

And I can't even imagine what they are talking about. It has got to be mindless blathering! I've been self-employed for 20 years now, and I'm the emergency contact when all sorts of computing/networking/voice meltdowns occur. And my average phone conversation is < 1 minute!

And I'm not even going to talk about the texters. Yes, actually texting while driving!
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

I hole heartily agree, here lately I have been seeing many more people texting while driving.But my all time favorite was a young lady putting on one of those teeth whiting strips and talking on the phone at the same time.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I agree. way too many people talking on the phone ( and I would add, most for no reason at all). The co. I work for has officially banned use of cell phones while driving for safety reasons.

I would agree to a general ban on cell phone use while driving. I really think there's no way to do half measures and make it enforceable.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I agree. way too many people talking on the phone ( and I would add, most for no reason at all). The co. I work for has officially banned use of cell phones while driving for safety reasons.

I would agree to a general ban on cell phone use while driving. I really think there's no way to do half measures and make it enforceable.
        Yeah, I agree with that. There seem to be more places that are making it illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone. But it also needs to be enforced.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

The drivers are dangerous. Here on the Interstate the speeds are about 80 MPH, and then there's a line backed up with someone going 50 MPH, while yaking on the phone.

On several occasions going into a grocery store, I'll see someone with a phone wedged between their shoulder and their ear walking into the store. They do all their shopping, go through check out and exit the store with the phone still propped there.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

If we go back to $0.50 a minute, that will stop... overnight.

Comment

• Anna
              • Feb 2006
              • CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Uh, does this rant include all cellphone-using drivers, or just the ones who don't have a hands-free device?

I never use the cellphone without a hands-free device when I'm driving. When on the phone, it's no more distracting to me than when I have someone else in the car and we're conversing. In California, it's state law starting in July that everyone has to use a hands-free device when using a cellphone.

I can see many reasons why I want to have my phone available with me while driving. On very long drives (e.g. SF-LA), I spend most of my time in the car and DH often would check up on where I am on the trip. On shorter trips and I'm either lost or running late, it's nice to not have to exit the freeway just so I can check in with someone and let them know where I am.

I do agree that texting while driving is insane. I don't even operate the iPod in the car when the car is moving. I usually just preprogram the stuff I want to listen to. I can only imagine how distracting texting can be.

I don't walk around the store seemingly talking to myself either because I'm using a bluetooth earpiece while talking on the phone. That's just too Borg-ish for me. Not to mention quite rude.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by Anna
                Uh, does this rant include all cellphone-using drivers, or just the ones who don't have a hands-free device?
                It is ALL cellphone-user drivers, hands-free or not. While some people have made the observation that hands-free isn't much different than talking with a passenger, I don't agree. The passenger can take visual cues and stop talking to allow the driver to concentrate when need be. The person on the other end of the cell phone conversation has no idea and often requires (demands) attention just as the driver is entering a tricky situation with comments like, "hey, where did you go? Are you still there? What is going on? I think I lost you."

Again, I have no problem w/ the occasional "I gotta get this" type 1-minute calls ("hey, I'm driving, if it is important I'll pull over but if not I'll call you back"). But non-stop talkers have gotta go.

I agree w/ Loring, though, that the later would be pretty impossible to legislate. I would agree w/ no talking on phone while driving.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I use the half-hour drive home and a hands-free device a few times a week to be on conference calls for the west coast. I do that so that I don't take time from my family. But then, my drive (all about about 3 miles of it) is interstate and I drive it every day so there is no real urgent decision making. I too view it as the same as talking to a passenger. I know it is less distracting than driving 2 kids in the car.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• MilDoc

Hands free device or not, if you want to talk on the phone while driving, pull over. Studies have shown repeatedly that a phone conversation and driving do not mix, just like driving slightly drunk.

If you want to kill yourself, do so. just do not take me out at the same time.

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
                      I know it is less distracting than driving 2 kids in the car.
                      Yeah, no kids in the car, either. Lest you have an episode such as the one my dad referred to as the "giant frogs incident." Happened during a trip we took when I was about ten.

There were co-conspirators.

Don't even ask.

Comment

• Anna
                        • Feb 2006
                        • CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                        It is ALL cellphone-user drivers, hands-free or not. While some people have made the observation that hands-free isn't much different than talking with a passenger, I don't agree. The passenger can take visual cues and stop talking to allow the driver to concentrate when need be. The person on the other end of the cell phone conversation has no idea and often requires (demands) attention just as the driver is entering a tricky situation with comments like, "hey, where did you go? Are you still there? What is going on? I think I lost you."
                        You should get less demanding friends.

When I'm in a tricky situation, I just say, "Hang on a sec, sweetie, I'm navigating a tricky situation." The only person I talk to at any length when I'm driving is my husband, and he's learned patience in the few years he's been married to me.

With other people, they normally don't stay long on the phone when I tell them I'm driving (and I do the same thing when I call them and they're driving).

As for passengers taking a visual cue, ever drive with 3 screeching 6-year-olds in the backseat? I say if we're banning cellphones altogether, we should also ban carpooling school kids. And hostile couples riding in the same car after a bad evening out. And sports radio.

Added: I got curious, and dug these statistics out:

Most car accidents are entirely preventable. Recent auto accident statistics reveal that the drivers involved in accidents are most likely distracted, tired or possibly drunk. The National Highway Safety Traffic Administration reports that most drivers engage in activities that take their attention away from the road. These activities include:

Talking with other passengers: 81%
                        Playing with the radio or CD: 66%
                        Eating or drinking: 49%
                        Using a cell phone: 25%
                        This was in 2002. I guess we should have started banning talking with other passengers back then, too.
                        Last edited by Anna; 04-21-2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                          Yeah, no kids in the car, either. Lest you have an episode such as the one my dad referred to as the "giant frogs incident." Happened during a trip we took when I was about ten.

There were co-conspirators.

Don't even ask.
                          You KNOW I'm gonna ask...

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by Anna
                            This was in 2002. I guess we should have started banning talking with other passengers back then, too.
                            The problem is that the person driving a minivan with six kids is also likely talking on the cell phone. And if you dig for more statistics, you'll find there is no statistical difference between hands-free and hand-held cell chatter when it comes to accidents.

Comment

• MilDoc

It stands to reason that anything that distracts a driver is potentially deadly. Cell phone use has increased. I expect the numbers would be different than in 2002.

And, Anna. That was my point. talk on a cell phone by holding the phone or hands free - and you are at risk. Period.

Comment

Working...