• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shipwreck
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005

I got rear ended!

Rear end collision

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I got rear ended on Weds, on the way to work.

I have the factory towing reciever mounted on mine, and it took most of the impact causing the trucks rear frame rails to buckle. I also have a walnut sized dent at the rear corner of the cab where the top left corner of the bed must have hit it during impact. So........Im thinking the frame must have torqued during impact.

The other guys insurance wants to "total" my truck.

I would just assume that they repair the rear of the frame and replace the reciever/bumper assembly, and paint it.

Cant they repair frames any more? Any of you guys or gals gone through this? I would just assume keep my truck instead of a whole new set of payments for a new truck.
    Last edited by Shipwreck; 04-18-2008, 08:15 AM. Reason: info
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

A few years ago, a friend of mine was hit in such a way that the frame took most of the damage. The entire truck was taken off the frame and the frame replaced (other damage fixed to). By the time the truck was done, it cost more then replacing the truck.

Frame shops are rare anymore (so much is unibody), and at least in my state, you can't buy a whole frame out of a junk yard anymore (legislated it out, and vehicle numbers then won't match).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JeffG78
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
      • BT3100

I had a similar incident about ten years ago in my new Toyota truck, though my rails didn't buckle since I didn't have a hitch receiver on it. The bumper bent completely under, the spare tire crossmember was bent, and the bed hit the cab on both sides. My truck was repaired, but while it was in the shop, another truck, an F150, had the same type of hit as mine, but did have a hitch and did have a buckled frame. They were waiting on a new frame for it. Rather than totalling the truck, they planned on replacing the frame as well as repairing the cab, bed, bumper, etc.

If you plan on towing any decent amount, I would not trust a straightened frame. The rails would never have the same strength charicteristics as engineered. If you don't tow, then it wouldn't be as big an issue. If you like your truck, you might inquire about a full frame replacement.

One thing to keep in mind is that trucks are REALLY cheap right now. I have heard of people getting great deals on new trucks lately. They are not selling well with the high gas prices. You might come out of this in pretty good shape if you can get them to give you a decent price for your truck.

Comment

• OpaDC
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Pensacola, FL
        • Ridgid TS3650

Before you let them total it you need to do two things. First go to a couple of body repair shops you trust and get them to give you estimates as to what they think the damage is and how much it would cost to repair. You might also ask your insurance company what they think. Second, find out what the HIGH blue book value of the truck is. If the truck is in fact totaled, don't let them lowball you and try to give you wholesale price.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

How's that sore neck? Bet them headaches are terrible. I agree about the frame being questionable. The last thing you need is to have a towing problem. If you can score a new truck without being charged, that would be my approach.

Comment

• rh111
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2005
            • KS, USA.

Ok, so I am going to chime in on this as I work in the auto collision repair industry. I-Car guidelines have a bent vs kinked rule. (I-Car sets the standards for auto collision repair industry) If it is bent, it can be repaired. If it is kinked, replace. It is not uncommon for the trucks/suvs/vans that have a receiver hitch to have damage just beyond the attatchment point of the receiver. The receiver acts as a fulcrum point in the impact. During this type of impact, it is not uncommon for the momentum to cause damage to the rr cab corners/panel area.

Couple of suggestions that I might make, go to the I-Car website and check for Gold Class facilities in your area and have a second look taken at it. (I-CAR.COM, then select United States, then membership at the bottom center to find facilities). Most facilities have electronic measuring systems today that put the vehicle into pinpoint accuracy when repairs are made, as well as specialized equipment that makes the repairs on the money.

Few other thoughts. State/insurance company policies differ. I know of a few insurance companies that will make a vehicle non-repairable (total loss) if a full frame needs replaced on a full frame vehicle. Each state should have an insurance commissioner that all insurance companies have to get their policies endorsed by to sell policies in that given state. That is another avenue of discussion if needed.
            It's all good till it's no good any more.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

They're sure not gonna buy you a new truck. They will offer you a check for the market value of your truck, in whatever condition it was in at the time you were hit, plus certain accessories that were added. I'm not sure the exact percentage, but if they think that repairs will run within say 80% of what they can justify as market value, they will go the "total out" route. They will not give you more if you insist on keeping your truck, no matter how much you liked it. If you disagree with their valuation, get a Truck Trader, and see what similar pieces are selling for. If higher, show them the book. If lower, clam up. I know some people that have benefited from dropping the name of whatever ambulance-chasing attorney runs the most TV ads in their area, but others using the same tactics have seen the insurance company end the negotiations (and that's what it is) immediately if the subject of litigation comes up. Remember, the insurance companies go through this same thing every day. They will use this experience to their advantage at every turn, regardless of how "sympathetic" their adjuster seems to be.

I can tell you that any frame repair needs to be precise, or you will start chewing up tires and all kinds of other bad stuff.

Comment

• iceman61
                • Oct 2007
                • West TN
                • Bosch 4100-09

I NEVER deal with the other guy's insurance company. They are out to get the case closed ASAP & get out with the least amount of money spent. If I have a wreck I always go through my insurance even if it is the other guy's fault. I have never understood why people go to the other guy's insurance & take a chance on them slighting you.

#1 This is why you pay your insurance so let them do the hard work. It's part of you privaleges with the premiums you pay to them. It's a whole lot less stress on you because they are doing all the footwork.

#2 Your insurance companies adjuster will shoot you straight about all your options and will come closer to pleasing you since they know they will get their money one way or the other out of the insurance company at fault. This is why you pay them good money on premiums. They are more likely to give you top (fair) market value on your claim.

On online source to get an idea of the value of your vehicle is:
                www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book)

Make sure you pick the option for selling your vehicle & not trading in, it makes a difference. Ask your adjuster what all options you have with your claim such as taking the repair amount & keeping your vehicle. You could also take the amount they offer to total your vehicle & then buy the vehicle back at fair value because if they total your vehicle, they will sell the vehicle to a a rebuilder that will rebuild it anyway more than likely. I have taken the "totaled vehicle" amount twice before & then sold the vehicle to a rebuilder myself a couple of times. It's a headache but I came out better in the long run. As UC stated:

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                I can tell you that any frame repair needs to be precise, or you will start chewing up tires and all kinds of other bad stuff.
                He is exactly right.
                Last edited by iceman61; 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

If the total the truck, they are in fact buying it from you at a price that they set. Often not enough to replace it. They then sell the truck to a repair or salvage place. The net is what they are out. Much less than just fixing the truck. I would take the money and keep the truck if you can find someone to repair it.

Bill, that's my thoughts and I will stick to them until I change my mind.

Comment

• annunaki
                    • Jan 2008
                    • White Springs, Florida
                    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Another thought

Hire an Insurance Expiditer to work for You.
                    I hope your Ins. Co is not the same as that person that gave you that delayed Whiplash effect with the headaches, and muscle spasms in your lower back, with sciatic burning pain running down the back of both legs from butt to ankles.
                    Last edited by annunaki; 04-18-2008, 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• paintandbodtman
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2006

The insurance co. by law has to total the vehicle if the repairs exceed 75% of the retail value of the vehicle. This is actual repairs to the vehicle and cannot include towing,storage or other incidental cost.At one time the NADA book was the source that they used.A lot of people advocate hiring an attorney but most of the time when attorney are involved, you may cost the insc. co. more money but after fees you are usually are'nt any better off.medical claims maybe but usually not property claims.Unless there's a windfall in it for them attorneys don't like these kind of claims. Alot of states have passed a lot of laws regarding what Insc. co. can and can't do in these cases. Getting them enforced in the problem lots of times. If in doubt call your state insurance commissioner for the facts based on your state laws on top of the federal law regarding the 75% total law.Not an attorney but this is based on 35 years in the collision repair industry both as a shop owner on a tech.Things change regarding insc.co. regulations especially at the state level so bottom line don't be confused by everyone's well intended advice and call the commissioner if need be.
                      have more but wife wants to go to dinner.

Wayne

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Two things. I am pretty sure lots of guys here are talking about headaches and back pain and neck pain delayed and all to try to help you get more money, but let me tell you something...

GO SEE A GOOD DOCTOR!

I got rear ended in November 2000 in a 2000 Ford Ranger pickup (under 5 mph pulling away from a pre existing accident scene I was not involved in) by a 1985 Pontiac Parisienne (Think Chevy Impala with a split grille) travelling on the freeway at 70mph.

The frame did it's job and buckled. So did the seat back, the rear cab wall, back glass, and front bed wall...

2 things happnend there.

#1. The insurance company paid to have the truck repaird with a new frame, new bed, bumper, etc...

#2. Since then I have had frequent back and neck problems, not to mention migraines.

Rear end collision is no joke. Get in to see a good doctor, not just the ER idiots that will only look to see if anythign is bleeding or broken. And do it NOW instead of later. Lack of bleeding or broken does NOT mean uninjured.
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

A lot of reading but i see 3 main points.

1. Involve YOUR insurance company.

2. Pick the body shop you want to evaluate the damage.

3. See a doctor.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• paintandbodtman
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2006

Keep in mind that you can settle on your property damage seperate of any medical claims.The vehicle claim cannot be combined with medical claims they are entirely seperate from each other.As far as buying back your salvage after a total loss claim that is an option. The thing you have to be carefull of is that some states have changed the laws regarding this transaction.Some states used to let the owner buy back the salvage and the vehicle in question was not branded as salvage but because of people selling them to rebuilder and or fixing them as cheaply as possible and then reselling them without being represented as total loss and future owners having lots of problems they now require any vehicle that is totaled be branded regardless of the fact that you buy back the salvage, the insc is required to send that info to your state department of motor vehicles. Some states also will not let you repair and put the vehicle back on the road if it has been totaled, some states will not let certain types of totaled vehicles be repaired such as flood vehicles,fire damadged vehicles, vehicles with structural damage meaning frames under trucks and suvs or structural members on unibody vehicles.
                            Insc. co. use time to their advantage lots of time so don't appear to be in a hurry to settle if thats possible.Being a liability loss is in you favor in more ways then one but don't get arrogant with them because the odds are stacked against you if they want them to be.
                            Do your homework,be diligent but don't get cocky.I have seen that backfire too many times.
                            When the economy slows down there are shops that will lowball an estimate just to get the vehicle in the door knowing that they can get a supplement on damages after starting the repairs,Even if you authorize the repairs the shop should an in some states are required by law to call and get your authorization before any additional damages are performed that are not on the original estimate.

Wayne
                            for any any all repairs that exceed the original estimate total

Wayne

Comment

• iceman61
                              • Oct 2007
                              • West TN
                              • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by OpaDC
                              If the truck is in fact totaled, don't let them lowball you and try to give you wholesale price.
                              Originally posted by paintandbodtman
                              ...Insc. co. use time to their advantage lots of time so don't appear to be in a hurry to settle if thats possible.Being a liability loss is in you favor in more ways then one but don't get arrogant with them because the odds are stacked against you if they want them to be.
                              Do your homework,be diligent but don't get cocky.I have seen that backfire too many times....
                              Here are 2 excellent examples of why you should just deal with your own insurance company instead of the other guy's. Your insurance company will give you a fair deal & will not drag it out because you are one of their customers & they know that they will get their money out of the other company. When the other guy is at fault, my insurance company has always given me top dollar on my claim. Once the adjuster told me "they are at fault so we will get our money back from the other company, one way or the other."

Another after thought nobody has mentioned yet would be to arrange in the final settlement for you to keep your truck, part it out & sell the parts yourself through ads. It sounds like not much of the truck is damaged besides the frame & you would still have alot of truck parts that are in great shape. What doesn't sell, send it to the scrap yard for even more money. This option would probably net you more money in the end.
                              Last edited by iceman61; 04-18-2008, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Working...