• Show
Clear All
  • gordons
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Is it my imagination.....

..... or am I just too picky. Seems to me that the vast majority of labor in China is left handed. How do I know this? Well every time I get some or other item that is held together by a twist-tie, I always try to undo it in right handed fashion first, to no avail. I would go so far as to say that 95% of these ties are put on either by left handed machines, or left handed people.

I have proof too.... LOML is left handed and I continually have to hassle with items that she has retied, such as anything in a packet that is held together with these infernal things.

Please don't misinterpret my sentiments about lefties. Some of my best friends are...... Left handed people do things right, etc., etc.
    Gordon
    I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Because of the large number of people in China, there, statistically would be more of us who are in their right minds!
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Funny about how things turn out for righties and lefties. I'm right handed, and my wife is a lefty. When I re-did our kitchen, I used the same basic layout for the sink, refrigerator, and stove location. It is perfect for lefties.

But there is some good news. Since my hand problems have come about, I'm using my left more than my right, so, it's workin' out for me too.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

maybe, they only have one tier, or you are buying all things that are being out-sourced to this one individual in china for tying

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's been a strong tendency for conformity in china for the last few generations.
          I could find no reports of left handed incidence varying among people of different cultures, but some anecdotal evidence of pressure to conform to right-handedness in China. so if anything, more people performing righty at least in China, not less.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            http://www.benross.net/wordpress/?p=152

there's been a strong tendency for conformity in china for the last few generations.
            I could find no reports of left handed incidence varying among people of different cultures, but some anecdotal evidence of pressure to conform to right-handedness in China. so if anything, more people performing righty at least in China, not less.

The possibility that the lefties are really ambidextrous, and too proud (or ashamed) to perform tasks with their left hand or even make admission.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Loring I can't believe you actually did research on that. Well actually I can, since it is you.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Is it possible that twists by a right-handed person would be more difficult to undo right-handed than left-handed?

Comment

• JeffG78
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                  • BT3100

I have noticed the same thing about the twist ties over the last several years, but I don't think it has anything to do with China. 9 times out of 10, I find the backwards ties on bread products which are made right here in the states. I always thought it was because some goofball that designed the automated twist tie machine never stopped to think about the removal process and now left handed twisting has become the industry norm.

Comment

Working...