• Show
Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

"Must-See" things in Houston?

Last week I was given responsibility for some staff in our Houston office. So in addition to the occasional trips to Los Angeles and Miami I will now be heading down there for business a few times per year. The last time I was in Houston for anything other than a connecting flight was in 1985 so I'm not real familiar with the city.

The office is in the suburb of Webster which I guess is very close to the NASA site. Beyond that are there any particular cultural or entertainment attractions that shouldn't be missed? I'll be down there the first weekend in April if there are any time-limited exhibitions or whatnot.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kristofor.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

NASA, of course has a lot of good exhibits.
    Close by is the Kemah Boardwalk for dinner/evening stroll amusement
    Galveston/freeport for fishing trips
    Downtown Aquarium Restaurant (altho there's one in Kemah, too)
    The Galleria, classy shopping are if you're into that.

Baseball at Minute Maid park will be starting the season April 1 or so. Nice retro stadium.

Houston Rockets NBA should be clsoe to play off time.

We also have Symphony, theater, opera etc.

Rodeo will be well done and over, though.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

If you don't mind a bit of driving Austin isn't too far away. lots of great music there.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• codaman33
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2004
        • Houston, TX, USA.

i live in clear lake which is part of Webster

Hey dude, Clear Lake is a very laid back sort of place. Normally, when it is warm, it is a shorts and flip flop kind of community. It also has some pretty nice fishing. All sorts of restuarants, both franchise and local ones.

If you want live music, there are several great venues for live music though they are kind of dives. The really good live music places are mainly downtown.

Kemah is really pretty cool. You can go ride the new roller coaster there. Go figure.

Galveston and moody Gardens is really nice. The Titanic artifacts are over there now.

The only bad thing about Clear Lake is that the closest Wood Craft or Rockler store is 45 minutes away. Other than that, we have the Depot.

Have a great time down here, and make sure and go eat at Taste of Texas. It is by far one of the best steak joints in town. They put $1,000 on it to say that it is.

Comment

• JeffW
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
          • BT3100

The one thing that you will see plenty of in Houston is TRAFFIC. Did I say TRAFFIC?
          Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Maybe this is a relic of my days as a single man, but I recall Houston having loads of fine strip clubs! IIRC, for ease of access they can be found nearby many schools and churches.

JR
            JR

Comment

Working...