• Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

A really, really bad movie

The other night I fell asleep watching a good movie (Eastern Promises) and woke up at 3 AM. I decided to check out what was on TV and came upon a movie so bad I think it permanently affected me.

The movie is called "Rat Pfink A Boo Boo"--I'm not making this up--and it was made in 1966 (www.imdb.com/title/tt0059637/). It was apparently a spoof of Batman and Robin type costume capers. It had senseless editing, little or no plot, bad lighting, no acting so to speak, a gorgeous heroine who walks around in her underwear for no good reason, stupid villains wearing white sneakers, a guy in a gorilla suit, oh and did I mention a hero who carries around a guitar without a strap or case and breaks into musical numbers without warning? The only positive thing is that there is really cool footage of the clothes and cars and hairstyles of LA in the mid-60's.

Here are a couple of excerpts:

Television's destination for premium entertainment and storytelling, with original scripted and non-scripted series

Here's a selection of clips from the cult 1965 Ray Dennis Steckler movie, accompanied by the title music.

And of course the title song sequence featuring bikinis, go go dancing, fat guy with a goatee at the barbecue, and kids jumping into the pool with their clothes on:

A song from the 1965 Ray Dennis Steckler movie 'Rat Pfink a Boo Boo'

It almost makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look professional.
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I once made the mistake of tuning to Priscilla Queen of the Desert late on night. Drag queens on a road trip just wasn't what I had in mind.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• MilDoc

Was it as bad as Attcak of the Killer Tomatoes?

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

Since we are naming bad movies, I think the worst movie I've ever seen is Banzai Runner from the late '80s. It "starred" Dean Stockwell from Quantum Leap and was about a bunch of guys who liked to drive fast and street race. It was terrible. In one scene, a car flew off a cliff and it was painfully obvious that they filmed somebody throwing a plastic glue-together model car for the footage. It was so bad, that my buddy and I kept rewinding it (rented it in the early '90s on VHS) just to make fun of the bad acting and plot holes. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181305/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I've wasted my money on so many bad ones... One of the worst would have to be "Barbarella".

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

The title of this thread is giving the movie WAY too much credit!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Good movies and bad movies are in the eye of the beholder. I remember when Animal House first came out, the critics hated it, gave it thumbs down, F grades, no stars, etc. After the public liked it, and became a hit those same critics started to talk a little different, and gave it better grades, ratings, etc.

I know many people that will say "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a horrible movie, and I know many people would love to sit down and watch it again for 100+ time.

I believe Barbarella and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes are two movies that also have a small cult following. I also seem to remember that both of those movies were firsts for something in the movie world, don't remember what at the moment. Was watching some documentary type thing on movies, and remember both of those movies being mentioned.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

We rented a movie a while back about Merlin. It seemed to go on forever, with painfully slow fully unsatisfying climactic waves... on and on and on... I stuck it out to the very end on principle.

Then we found out it was a miniseries. Doh! If I'd known that going in I probably would have enjoyed it!
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Anna
                  • Feb 2006
                  • CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I'll have to nominate Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death for the Worst Movies category.

We rented those, along with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes one weekend when my friends and I needed time off from school work and we honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cringe. Well, we did a lot of both. The acting was so bad and the stories were so predictable, there was obviously no attempt to any form of excellence at all. With so many pretentious movies out there, you just have to admire that brand of honesty in filmmaking, inadvertent or not.

That same weekend, we also had Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. After watching the first scene in absolute silence, I finally said, "Does anyone here understand a word they're saying?" It turns out that noone understood a single word, and we were all absolutely relieved that there was nothing wrong with either our hearing or our English comprehension. We then agreed to turn the subtitles on. It wasn't so bad after that.

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Plan 9 From Outer Space An Ed Wood S/F movie from 1959.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• ars_lurker
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Iowa
                      • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

Does anybody remember a show called Mystery Science Theater 3000? It made those old sci-fi B movies fun to watch.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Pink Famingo's by John Carpenter. It was even too gross for me!

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• germdoc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Omaha, NE
                          • BT3000--the gray ghost

I read an interview with the producer of Rat Pfink. He pointed out that he was only trying to make a fun movie on a very low (read "no") budget. Today's producers spend over $100 million to make their crap.

You gotta admire the innocent gumption of the mid-60's...
                          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• smorris
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by ars_lurker
                            Does anybody remember a show called Mystery Science Theater 3000? It made those old sci-fi B movies fun to watch.
                            That used to be a Saturday AM ritual, while the kids were watching cartoons we were watching MST3000.
                            --
                            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by germdoc
                              a gorgeous heroine who walks around in her underwear for no good reason
                              What exactly is the complaint here?

I stumbled on this gem back around Christmas.

Santa and the Martians
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...