• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

$50 HP Laserjet, shipping included

Great for printing out your woodworking plans! Works with Ubuntu and Vista, XP, etc, but not Mac.

I tempted... I'm *really* tempted.

From newegg.com, it's an HP LaserJet P1006 CB411A Up to 17 ppm Laser Personal Monochrome Printer, $180 regular, less $80 instant discount, less $50 promo code "EMCACBKAB".

Linky: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828115080
    Here's a recent PCMag review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2246160,00.asp
    Last edited by Alex Franke; 02-19-2008, 11:53 PM. Reason: Corrected the promo code -- Sorry!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you get one you can easily pay back the $50 in saved ink jet costs even if you already have an inkjet printer.

usual stats, most injet printers get about 400 pages of text (mostly - 95% - white space) or about 40 pages of pictures (mostly 95% covered with ink) from a set of cartridges running $30 per cart.

most laser printers get 4000 pages of text per toner cart costing $30.

Works out to about 5 cents per page for text to ink jets and 0.5 cents per page for laser supplies.
    So saving a about nickel a page for printed text will pay for the printer in 2 reams of paper.

I do all my B&W printing or anything I'd be happy in monochrome on my $100 brother laser printer and only when I absolutely need color to the inkjet. I send all my 4x6 photo printing to Walgreens 1/4 mile from the house via internet upload and pick up the pics about 45 minutes later for $0.17 per print, I consider that a bargain compared to the ink and paper cost, trouble and labor and time of printing and cutting them on special photo paper. My inkjet success ratio is not all that high with operator error (inserting photo papers upside down) and printer problems (paper jams creasing or damaging the print).

8x10 prints are still a bit cheaper by photo-paper and inkjet (I figure around $1.50-2.00) compared to $5 or 8 or something at the stores, but take a while; I only do a few of those per year.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

i put it in the cart and went to check out. the code that you gave us for the $50 promo is not working. do you know why?

thanks

Comment

• Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

yea, the code isn't working for me either.
        Alex

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Whoops! I typed in the code wrong!

Try "EMCACBKAB" -- Sorry!

Edit again -- no wait -- it was the right code, only not capitalized. Use ALL CAPS in the promo code.
          Last edited by Alex Franke; 02-19-2008, 11:54 PM.
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Brunswick, MD

A B&W laser is definitely a good choice. I've got an ancient laserjet 4+ networked at home and a laserjet 4mp in the office and I love them both. I will not own an inkjet again. One advantage of the older laserjets is the heavier construction. I have not been as impressed with the small laserjets (or other branded small lasers) they're making today, they seem lightweight and flimsy in comparison... This is actually one of the reasons I am still using the 4mp in the office even though I have the option of getting a newer, faster printer...

Comment

• Mrk67mark
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2006
              • Ocean Springs, MS
              • Grizzly G0478 hybrid

I still can't get the code to work. Anybody have any luck?
              Mark

Comment

• Zenaca
                Established Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Idaho

I couldnt get the cade to work either.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Still not working? Hmm.... I received it in an email from them (image attached). I wonder if it's only available to email newsletter subscribers... It might be worth trying to subscribe to the special offers newsletter, then trying to purchase, then unsubscribing if you want.

Here's the link to subscribe https://secure.newegg.com/Newversion...tterSignUp.asp
                  Attached Files

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

maybe the code is linked with the email of the account. its out of stock now anyways

Comment

• williamr
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Mazatlan or Toronto
                      • BT3000SX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      if you get one you can easily pay back the $50 in saved ink jet costs even if you already have an inkjet printer.

usual stats, most injet printers get about 400 pages of text (mostly - 95% - white space) or about 40 pages of pictures (mostly 95% covered with ink) from a set of cartridges running $30 per cart.

most laser printers get 4000 pages of text per toner cart costing $30.

Works out to about 5 cents per page for text to ink jets and 0.5 cents per page for laser supplies.
                      So saving a about nickel a page for printed text will pay for the printer in 2 reams of paper.

I do all my B&W printing or anything I'd be happy in monochrome on my $100 brother laser printer and only when I absolutely need color to the inkjet. I send all my 4x6 photo printing to Walgreens 1/4 mile from the house via internet upload and pick up the pics about 45 minutes later for $0.17 per print, I consider that a bargain compared to the ink and paper cost, trouble and labor and time of printing and cutting them on special photo paper. My inkjet success ratio is not all that high with operator error (inserting photo papers upside down) and printer problems (paper jams creasing or damaging the print).

8x10 prints are still a bit cheaper by photo-paper and inkjet (I figure around $1.50-2.00) compared to $5 or 8 or something at the stores, but take a while; I only do a few of those per year.

That printer uses the HP LaserJet CB435A Black Print Cartridge

It gets about 1500 pages per cartridge.

CDN and USA pricing.

A lot of new printers are designed to churn through supplies -- IMO.

The older HP1100 Inkjet has a per page price of about $0.025 per page.

I think that the K5400 is similar.

Assuming that you buy the high capacity black cartridges pricing should be similar on cost per page.
                      Last edited by williamr; 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM. Reason: wrong model of HP1100

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

This printer is still available for $99 at Tiger Direct.

Now if somebody could find a $50 coupon for TD, I could go for it .

Somehow a $49 tag is much easier to swallow than a $99 one, particularly after having bought a nice MP530 just months ago.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Here's another $50 laser printer...

Buy Used - Good: Brother HL Series HL-2140 Personal Up to 23 ppm Monochrome USB Laser Printer with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$109 - $40 instant - $20 MIR
                          Brother HL series HL-2140 Up to 23 ppm Laser Monochrome Printer - Retail
                          Brother special savings, ends 2/25

Comment

• rjwaldren
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Fresno, CA

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            I bought my wife (teacher) a $500 Brother Multifuction laser at the beginning of the school year... I know I've already received my money back at least once, compared to the printing she was doing on my photo printer @$75 for a complete cartridge change. It also cured her need to printing EVERYTHING in color.

Comment

Working...