• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Woodcraft customer service

Back in December I had an issue with a Woodcraft store. I sent an e-mail to their corporate customer service via their web site. After a couple weeks with no reply, I sent a paper letter to them on 1/8/08, and then followed up with a second copy with delivery confirmation. I've still received no reply at all from them, and I provided all of my contact information in the letter.

The original issue is no longer the primary problem; their lack of care is a reason for me to never do business with them again. Just posted for your consideration next time you're deciding where to shop.
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

So I guess the crap level of service at the store comes from the top down then.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Every employee at my local store except for one is really helpful. I used to like going there a lot, except for the problem with this one employee. However it does appear that top-down, there is a complacency to a lack of quality and responsibility.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I had a different experience with Woodcraft corporate. I called their CS department on the phone to complain about a pattern of poor service, poor inventory, and intentional misinformation at my local store. The woman I spoke to was supportive and sympathetic, promised to take care of the issues, and gave me the name of a corporate exec that I could call if she was not able to solve the problem to my satisfaction. That same day, the owner of the local store was on the phone, ready to do whatever it took to make me happy. Even though each store is an independently-owned franchise operation, it was immediately evident to me that Woodcraft corporate still carries some weight.

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

That answers a question I had--whether they are franchise or corporate stores. I can't explain the lack of answer, but I have proof of mailing a letter and no reply, so I'm quite surprised myself. I wrote instead of calling because I wanted to include some written documentation that was relevant.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Carlos
            I wrote instead of calling because I wanted to include some written documentation that was relevant.
            Understandable. I just can't be as charming and persuasive when I write (or intimidating, if the situation calls for it), so I usually initiate by calling first if I can, and follow up with faxes and e-mails if required.

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

I have had nothing but good experiences with Woodcraft, both the local store and on line.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by Whaler
                I have had nothing but good experiences with Woodcraft, both the local store and on line.
                Can't say anything about online, but aside from them not asking if I need help on occasion, they're pretty good at my store.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

i think the owner's attitude makes all difference.

you know, before they were looking for a new owner for the AZ stores, they were really good. the manager was awesome. he would stand and go through things, options etc with you. the even accepted competitor coupons (rocker, woodworker source).

ever since, i think its been like 4 months, one of the employee there bought the store. he wasnt all that helpful before and he now is the manager. i notice the two good guys that were really helpful, are no longer there. a few weeks back when they had all sorts of misc things on clearance, there were too many things that did not have a price. so at check out, i asked for the price, and owner said x amount, and i replied i'll pass on the item, the guys replies "i have to make some money on it". that statement, just turned me off.

i will go there only when there is a sale or there is something that i want to get from the flyer or something.

my 2cents.

Comment

• Anna
                    • Feb 2006
                    • CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

If I may ask, just out of curiosity, what was the original issue? I love my WoodCraft, and the folks who work there all know me by name and have always been very helpful.

With respect to the complaints procedure, when I'm unhappy with anything, I always ask to speak to the store manager first. If that's not resolved, then I work my way up the corporate ladder. I get on the phone and if the first layer of customer support does not help, I ask for a supervisor.

If I'm still unhappy, then I write to either the CEO or the vice president for customer service or equivalent. I always take down the names of everyone I speak with. I pointedly ask who it was I was speaking with so that the customer service person knows I might either write to the higher ups, write to consumer advocacy websites, or write to the consumer advocacy columnist in the paper. It somehow motivates them to resolve the issue without escalating it.

When writing to the CEO or whoever, copy furnish the state department of consumer affairs or the BBB or both, and make sure it says "cc" in the bottom so that the CEO knows. I've done this when dealing with insurance companies (copy furnishing the department of insurance or the department of managed health care), and it makes them much more amicable and compliant. The state agency probably just files your complaint away without any action, but if enough complaints against a particular company piles up, they're bound to do something, and the company knows that. I haven't taken anything up to the federal level yet.

Most of the time, I do get what I want. There are a few companies that are impossible to deal with, and I just stay away from them (Sears comes to mind, on a rebate issue, and I haven't bought anything from Sears for more than a year).

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

The owner of the stores in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio lives near the SA store. He cares about his business and reputation so, needless to say, the staff and inventory in that store are always good. Can't say about Houston, but Austin is hit/miss on both counts but problems get solved when Mike gets informed!
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

If I'm still unhappy, then I write...
                        That's way more effort than this is worth. There are other woodworking stores that are happy to take my money. I wrote them the letter to let them earn my business back, but they don't seem to care, or at least whoever got my letter didn't care.

one of the employee there bought the store. he wasnt all that helpful before and he now is the manager.
                        Well that makes perfect sense and the timing seems right. There are a couple of helpful employees and then there's the manager who just seems to dislike people. Cracked me up to see the two helpful employees roll their eyes behind the manager when we were discussing this issue and he said something stupid.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by Carlos
                          Well that makes perfect sense and the timing seems right. There are a couple of helpful employees and then there's the manager who just seems to dislike people. Cracked me up to see the two helpful employees roll their eyes behind the manager when we were discussing this issue and he said something stupid.

Had to laugh at that one. We had this dog grooming place that was VERY successful, then the gal decided to sell it due in part to a $$$$$$$$$ franchise they owned locally. (other type of business).

The guy who bought her DOG grooming business, HATED dogs. He ran it for a few years (his family always trying to make up for him), but he didn't like the groomers either, and ended up chasing them away (he didn't know how to groom at all),......
                          Well, the business sold for something like 1/10th of what he paid, it has a horrible reputation NOW (people remember how it used to be), the people that bought it fought and I guess one either sold, or became a silent partner. It is down to two groomers and in its second location (the original was out of the owners house).

What are people thinking?
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

I have had nothing but great service at my local Woodcraft store (Merrillville Indiana) I had a Woodcraft remote control for my dust collector. It was several years old and started acting up, would come on by itself and sometimes the remote would not shut it off. I took it in and ask if there was somewhere I could send it for repairs stating that I knew I would have to pay for them since the unit was long out of warranty. The owner could not find where it could be sent so he handed me a brand new unit off the shelf at no charge! Now I consider that to be well above and beyond good customer service!
                            John Hunter

Comment

Working...