• Show
Clear All
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Logistics for moving a large bandsaw

OK, first the good news (i.e. gloat). I just won the bandsaw of my dreams off of eBay (Mini Max MM20). Now the bad news, I have to drive 250 (Chicago-Land) miles to pick it up next Saturday. I have a Nissan Titan full sized pickup, but I'm not sure how to get the beastie into the truck bed. It's got the mobility kit, but it's also very, very heavy. At the moment, I don't have a hitch on the truck. My failsafe method will be to get a hitch put on, and rent a small U-Haul.

Does anyone out there have any bright ideas or suggestions? I'll also need to off-load it into my garage when I get back.
    To do is to be.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

My advice

Get the hitch and rent a small U-haul trailer, much easier than trying to get it into the back of the truck. Up side you will now have trailer hitch when you need it to haul more large tools. I found this out when I bought my Jointer on Craigslist. Rented a trailer and was much eaiser loading and unloading the trying to lift it into truck bed. Still took two of us to load but much easier. If you have bad weather rent an enclosed trailer.

Tom

Comment

• slieber967
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2007

bandsw moving

how about an engine crane? you should be able to borrow one from a gear head. the trickey part is to lift it so that it's stable and won't roll.

kc
      slieber967

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

its going to be pretty top heavy. Make sure you have the means to secure it from shifting and from tipping, as well as getting it into and out of the trailer.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

First.. even before a decision of what method, take the table off the saw when you get there. Unless you take several or he has several on hand, it's not likely you are going to get it on your pick-up up-right. That puppy is around 600 lbs.

So.. if you decide pick-up.. I would take stock and crate it before you tilt it on the tail-gate and slide the now crated BS in. And if so... make sure the back-frame is Down. We put my 18" on with a fork-lift at the distributor.. but the reverse of what I stated is how I got it off single handed. I just backed about 4' into my shop (two car garage) and Carefully slid it back and eased it down.

The trailer is a good idea as if tall enough.. the BS could be transported up-right. But in either situation.. make sure it is anchored well. Not likely to slide off laying in a bed.. but you never know do ya? Having one slide off into following traffic could be very costly in more ways than one.

Going to be a pain.. but you'll find a way. I got tired for waiting for help and put mine on a mobile base alone yesterday. Where there's a will.. there's a way!

Good luck...

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
            Going to be a pain.. but you'll find a way. I got tired for waiting for help and put mine on a mobile base alone yesterday. Where there's a will.. there's a way!
            Good luck...

Roger that, Ed. I got the 17" bandsaw up onto 3.5" wheels by myself with a little enginuity with an eye to safety.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

For a little more money you could get a small box truck with a lift. Two of us were able to move a Sub-Zero refrigerator with one. It weighs 550lbs.

I expect to see some huge bandsaw boxes in the next couple of weeks.

Steve
              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

1. Get a trailer hitch and rent a trailer. I would get a hitch rated for the max weight your truck can haul.

Best bet is a hoist (you maybe can rent one) but if you don't have access to one

2. Bring several pieces of 2x and a levering bar
                3. Lever up one side of the saw, put a piece of 2x under it.
                4. Lever up the other and put a piece of 2x under it.
                5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until it is a little higher than the trailer then drag/push/pull it onto the trailer. I moved a several-hundred-lb woodstove by myself this way and I moved a wood cookstove to my parents' house this way as well.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jspelbring
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Belleville, IL, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22114

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I looked into the engine hoist idea - the problem is that the holes designed for lifting this thing are at the top, and it's 6' tall. So, I would need a hoist that would do close to 9' high.

The more I think about it, the more a hitch and trailer make sense. I'll be pulling the table off (and maybe the motor as well). I think the best bet would be one of the 6x9 open trailers. They've got ramps (the saw already has the mobility kit installed), so I may be able to push/pull it up the ramp. I'll bring blankets (don't want my new baby to get cold :-) ), and some 2x4s, then lay it down. I think U-haul will rent the 6x9 for around $30/day.

As to the bandsaw boxes, soon, soon. I'm actually buying this before I'm ready. The garage (soon to be dedicated shop) isn't wired yet. 220V/30A, here I come!

Wish me luck!
                  To do is to be.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

I ditto the motion for the hitch and rental trailer. Try and get a low-boy trailer with a drop axle, so you will have a lower floor. And nobody should have a truck without a hitch, so this will solve that problem also. When I had a 1000-lb. safe to move, I did do as one poster suggested and rented a truck with a liftgate. It was a lifesaver, but I had to pay mileage on the truck, which would probably be a deal-breaker for you with a 500-mile round trip.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Ohio
                      • Ryobi bt3100-1

another vote for a hitch and trailer. then you just need a ton of load straps to keep it from moving around while you drive.
                      Alex

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                        I ditto the motion for the hitch and rental trailer. Try and get a low-boy trailer with a drop axle, so you will have a lower floor. And nobody should have a truck without a hitch, so this will solve that problem also. When I had a 1000-lb. safe to move, I did do as one poster suggested and rented a truck with a liftgate. It was a lifesaver, but I had to pay mileage on the truck, which would probably be a deal-breaker for you with a 500-mile round trip.
                        Moving a 100 lb. safe with 900 lbs. of gold bullion inside. Hmmmm.... what time did you say dinner would be served at your house to-nite?

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

Reguardless of how you decide to move it, make darn sure you tie it down GOOD! They are very top heavy and when you THINK you have it tied down good enough, tie it some more! DAMHIKT!!!!!!!!!
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jspelbring
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2004
                            • Belleville, IL, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22114

Postmortem and proof

The deed is done! I wound up renting one of the 6x9 U-Haul trailers with the long ramp. Not too bad getting the beast in (it has the mobility kit), getting it back out was a little more nerve wracking. It's now in my garage, asleep, waiting for the wonders of electricity to come to the new shop.

Hopefully the images uploaded correctly.

I'll post a follow on once I'm able to make some sawdust with it.
                            Attached Files
                            To do is to be.

Comment

• lrogers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mobile, AL. USA.
                              • BT3000

That looks sweet!
                              Larry R. Rogers
                              The Samurai Wood Butcher
                              http://splash54.multiply.com