• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

D-d-d-darn it's cold!

-14 this morning and -7 now. Went out to the garage, flipped on the compressor and all I got was a chug...chug...stall. The oil was so think the darn thing wouldn't even turn over! Guess I wasn't meant to work out there today.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

You think you're Cold!

I just read on the news that it's -30 degrees (that's Minus 30 degrees!), Chill Factor in Chicago!
    I'm glad I don't live there anymore!

I managed to escape about 5 years ago!
    Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

That makes our 0 degree temperature seem down right balmy. As I post this from the shop/garage the temperature is 33 and holding. It makes me long for those hot August days.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I feel your pain, guys. When I locked the Playpen down at 7:45 tonight the mercury had plumeted to 65 degrees!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• eliasbboy
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2008
          • Chicago Heights (IL)
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by gmack5
          I just read on the news that it's -30 degrees (that's Minus 30 degrees!), Chill Factor in Chicago!
          I'm glad I don't live there anymore!

I managed to escape about 5 years ago!
          I managed about 2 hours in the garage today, but the cordless tools eventually froze. That and the fact I was so cold I couldn't blink....

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

I don't look at the temperature anymore. It depresses me. When I look at any temperature under 32 degrees all I can think about is the sound of my furnace running and how much it is costing to keep me from freezing to death. Forget about running tools in this their all out in an unheated garage.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I'm with Pappy on this one. A frigid 44 degrees in Atlanta at 00:45 AM (45 minutes after mid-night) and going down to 33 degrees expected.

Brrrrrrr...... And it won't be back to 60 degree's till at least 11:00 AM in the morning.. brrrrrr...... My natural gas space heater will have to struggle for at least 10 minute tomorrow morning to get the shop up to around 70 degrees where I like it.... brrrrrrr.......

Take care guys and stay warm.. hey, that's why my wife moved to Atlanta from a small town east of Pittsburg 25 years ago and from all indications.. isn't moving back anytime soon.

Regards...

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

I had the air conditioner going in my truck today, it was about 80*.

don't get frostbite!
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.

I spent most of Saturday in the shop in shorts and T-shirt installing an air cleaner and generally cleaning/straightening up. Had the garage doors wide open and it was nice but later in the day it must have gotten below 70 or so because the breeze was getting chilly so I had to give up for the day.

Of course, when I lived in Wisconsin I can remember winter nights working on race cars where we had to break wrenches free from the concrete floor where they had frozen in place when set down....

I hate winter! (in Wisconsin, kind of like it in North Carolina....)
                  Tom Hintz
                  NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

We're not far from Chicago. Didn't even get out of the house yesterday. That's the perks of retirement.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jhart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

One of these winters I'm gonna move!!!
                      Joe
                      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• JeffG78
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                        • BT3100

Yeah, -4 at my house this morning. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that I had to take our three dogs out every 1/2 hour yesterday to pee. I kept switching from T-shirt in the basement while building my shop cabinets, to bundled up braving the -20 wind chill outside. They normally get two long walks per day, but it was too cold for them and us. Since they didn't get their walks, they were very bored and whined all day.

Comment

• germdoc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Omaha, NE
                          • BT3000--the gray ghost

This cold builds character. I must have a lot of character, because it was about -40 yest. with the wind chill! (So cold my dog refused to poop when I walked her...)

On the other hand, keeps the riffraff out. We know where the lowlifes go this time of the year, and it ain't rural WI. Also, we'll have to check in with Pappy and the other Sunbelt stalwarts in 6 months to see if they're fed up with the extreme heat and want to move up North!
                          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scmhogg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                            • BT3000

Out here in SoCal, it was unusually cold last month. In the 30's and 40's. The last few days have been unusually warm.

My flowering pear tree thinks its spring already.

I was at Fort Campbell in January 1963, when Kentucky had its lowest recorded temperature. We were out in the boondocks for maneuvers. Overnight, it went from cold rain to 16 below. Our squad tent froze solid. We took the poles out and left it there until the thaw.

Steve
                            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• BobSch
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

My flowering pear tree thinks its spring already.

PTHLBTHLBTHLBTHLBTHLB!

Dang, I think my tongue just frost to my lips!
                              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...