• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

keeping others out of the shop while you are working

so I've told my family its dangerous to knock on my garage door or blatantly open the door while I'm working. My dad understands (he stood in the rain for 10 seconds for me to finish a cut) my little brother kinda understands. My mom kinda understands, but my sister does not. I've told them numerous times that they need to make sure no power tools are running, and then they can come in, however today, as I just started a rip cut, my sister opened the door, and walked in and began to try to talk to me. I told her she needed to get out, but she threw a temper tantrum and slammed the door before leaving. My mom yelled at me for telling her to get out, and refused to accept that even though she meant no harm if i hadn't been using a gripper I very well would probably not have a finger or two right now. I tried to explain how dangers a piece of metal capable of cutting wood, metal, and tons of other materials spinning at 140 mph has no digression on what it cuts, and that even though my sister meant no harm what she did could have very well injured me and therefore she unconsciously meant harm, but my mom didn't care.

How can I get through to them the dangerous nature of tools, and that they need to wait for me to not use them to com into the garage. I was thinking of taking the table saw outside and dropping a piece of wood on the blade to show them how far the saw would throw it, but 1) I worried about the saw and 2) I'm worried about both our house, neighbor's house, and the house across the street (out lots are tiny). My dad understands, but none else gets that tools can easily kill.
    Alex
  • williamr
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Mazatlan or Toronto
    • BT3000SX

Originally posted by Wood_workur
    so I've told my family its dangerous to knock on my garage door or blatantly open the door while I'm working. My dad understands (he stood in the rain for 10 seconds for me to finish a cut) my little brother kinda understands. My mom kinda understands, but my sister does not. I've told them numerous times that they need to make sure no power tools are running, and then they can come in, however today, as I just started a rip cut, my sister opened the door, and walked in and began to try to talk to me. I told her she needed to get out, but she threw a temper tantrum and slammed the door before leaving. My mom yelled at me for telling her to get out, and refused to accept that even though she meant no harm if i hadn't been using a gripper I very well would probably not have a finger or two right now. I tried to explain how dangers a piece of metal capable of cutting wood, metal, and tons of other materials spinning at 140 mph has no digression on what it cuts, and that even though my sister meant no harm what she did could have very well injured me and therefore she unconsciously meant harm, but my mom didn't care.

How can I get through to them the dangerous nature of tools, and that they need to wait for me to not use them to com into the garage. I was thinking of taking the table saw outside and dropping a piece of wood on the blade to show them how far the saw would throw it, but 1) I worried about the saw and 2) I'm worried about both our house, neighbor's house, and the house across the street (out lots are tiny). My dad understands, but none else gets that tools can easily kill.

Very eloquent.

Don't ask for advice where none is needed. :-)

Other than a lock to protect you!...

---
    will

Comment

• milanuk
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Actually... lockin' the door might not be the best idea. In the event something goes wrong and you need help in a hurry, the 'help' may not be able to get in.

True story. I have my Makita 10" SCMS mounted on a Ridgid MSUV folding cart/stand. I had it backed into a crowded corner, and needed to move it slightly to use the table saw. I couldn't quite get it to move w/ one hand, so I reached over with both hands to grab the carriage and pulled. Apparently my earlier efforts had loosened the latch, and when I pulled on it, it suddenly collapsed - trapping me by both pinky fingers right in the hinge points. I yelled and screamed to beat all ****. I honestly couldn't figure why I didn't see blood streaming down from my trapped fingers, unless it was literally crimping them off. It hurt that bad. My wife was upstairs, and came at a dead run. My shop door was locked, and I obviously couldn't get free to let here in. She had to go back upstairs, find my spare keys that had an extra door key on it. And I'm sitting there cussin' fit to peel the paint off the walls the whole time. Probably only a couple minutes, but it seemed like an hour. Fingers were barely cut, but pretty well crimped. Doctors didn't find anything broken, but it took several months before full feeling/circulation came back.

Moral of the story... do NOT lock the shop door.

There's got to be some pictures/footage of shop injuries floating around the Net. Showing your family members something like that might impress upon them that power tools are serious business.

Monte
      All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
        • Delta Contractor Saw

Monte - I had to laugh when reading your response since it reminded me of my CA glue episode a while back.

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by milanuk
          There's got to be some pictures/footage of shop injuries floating around the Net. Showing your family members something like that might impress upon them that power tools are serious business.
          Monte
          That could backfire if the pendulum swings too far in the other direction (lack of concern to hyper concern). You could be forbidden to do such things in their house (I'm assuming that it is theirs).

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

How about a sign on the doors saying "keep out" or "come on in"
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• milanuk
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Slik & Tom might have a point... perhaps hanging a sign on the outside door handle (where they can't say they didn't see it - make it so they have to lift it or do something with it to get to the door handle) that says something to the effect of "Power Tools In Use - PLEASE wait for them to stop before entering".

If that still doesn't get the point across... well, I'd feel somewhat justified about tearing a strip o' hide off of someone who disregarded it unless it was a real emergency. Then again, I own my own house, the 'man cave' downstairs is *mine*, and both my upbringing at home and my years in the military infused a tendency to *look* and *listen* before barging into any shop environment, no matter what. Men in my family (my Dad, my brother, and myself) tend to be easily startled when we are focused on some complex/dangerous evolution, and trying to control the work piece when you 'jump' can be difficult to say the least.
              All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Maybe you could get a few pictures together of some of the accidents that have been posted by some of our members or on other forums so they can see how easy you can get hurt by being distracted while operating a power tool. It might make them think different when they see what can actually happen.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

They can get upset, or they can get really upset.

Does not matter - if they know they are gonna get yelled at if they come in at an inappropriate time, they are gonna be more wary. Just drop the issue for now, but don't soften your stance if it happens again. They'll get it pretty fast.

If my 5-year old knows it and can accept it, others can too. She knows nobody talks to me when a machine is on. They (wife and two girls) know the garage door might be wide open, but it's not an invitation to enter unless 'all is quiet'. They are welcome to help vaccumming, but if I am wearing a dust-mask, they need to wear one too. I am happy to note that they know that even though all my tools are without power (or 'locked' one way or the other) when I am not around, they don't play with any tools - they don't allow neighbouring kids to wander around in the garage .
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                    How about a sign on the doors saying "keep out" or "come on in"
                    In my old shop, I had rigged up a red "keep out" light on the door, similar to a darkroom light. In my current shop, I don't need one.

Comment

• ejs1097
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

you can do 3 things:

1) make sure your table saw, jointer, etc are positioned so YOU are facing the door, that way no one can sneak up on you from behind while the saws are running.

2) enlist your Dad to get your Mom and sister in line.

3) explaining that your tools are only on for a short time and waiting won't hurt them and continue to yell at them when they come in and don't acknowledge what they came in for in the first place. Hopefully consistently will pay off and they'll leave you alone.
                      Eric
                      Be Kind Online

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                        • BT3100

this is a tough one.

i would still get some material on shop saftey and show it to them. best thing is to drop it for now. wait a couple of days and tell them you would like to sit with them and go through a few things and go through the material that you have. make them understand, that injuries occur when you least expect them to. remember, to present the material and your concern in a tone that is presentable. if you start yelling or screaming or become rude, you immediately put the other party in defense mode. you can what ever you want, everything will just bounce off!

my family just waits on their own until the machine stops before bugging me. they may call me, but i wont answer, they then just wait. when i work, i usually point the kids to move away when i start the TS or a machine and they stay away until it stops. there are times, when my kids bring me something to cut, but after handing it over, they run away and stand so patiently, i cant believe that they are my own kids! i hope this just continues.

best of luck!

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

My shop is in the basement. The basement has a light switch for the overhead lights. My mai shop lights are not on that circuit. When my wife needs me, she start flipping the switch. I notice the change in lights and shut down when safe.

maybe you can rig up something like this.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Ohio
                            • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                            My shop is in the basement. The basement has a light switch for the overhead lights. My mai shop lights are not on that circuit. When my wife needs me, she start flipping the switch. I notice the change in lights and shut down when safe.

maybe you can rig up something like this.

I kinda do. I have lights for my workbench that plug in, and the lights overhead are switch operated. my mom has flipped those to get my attention while I"m using stuff at my workbench, because I'm still fully capable of seeing what I'm doing.

edit-
                            Originally posted by Slik Geek
                            That could backfire if the pendulum swings too far in the other direction (lack of concern to hyper concern). You could be forbidden to do such things in their house (I'm assuming that it is theirs).
                            I doubt it would. I'm kinda the only person in the house that can fix most of the stuff. Its either me or a repairman. I'm the less expensive option. Who do you think they would choose? And I've already taken a chunk of finger off once (at school, building a rocket) and they don't forbid me to use and x-acto knives, or chisels, so I don't think they are all of the sudden going to not let me use the tools I have purchased (as in they are mine, not theirs.)

I think a sign on the door is the best option. I know it will work in cold weather because I'm not using any quite tool that can harm me in the cold, and in the summer the door is open so they can see when its safe. The problem in the summer is though is my little brother, I've been working and either a ball will fly in (when my dad wanted me to close to door, but I just moved the basket ball hoop) or they will walk in to get something without letting me know, so I'll have to find a solution for my little brother during the summer, because whenever anyone talks to him, he will tell them to shut up in a very condescending voice (even to my parents) But hopefully he will learn to stay out, and start keeping his stuff outside of the garage during the summer (not putting the bike in after hes done, only to take it out in 5 minutes, and so forth)
                            Last edited by Wood_workur; 02-04-2008, 03:56 PM.
                            Alex

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                              Bandsaw Box Momma
                              • Apr 2005
                              • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Alex I wonder if a type of screen door will help you with the little brother solution in the summer, maybe with a bell on it so that you know when the door is opened. What about a doorbell? Maybe when they want you they can ring the bell? Might be a solution for you.

Our kids are 12 and they know that before they go into the shop there should be no power tools on and if there is they wait and knock on the door first before entering.

Hope that things work out for you and you find a good solution to your problem.
                              Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

Working...