Update on dog attack post from 06

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #16
    Unless the judge's order prohibited the owner from having any pitbulls on his property, then somebody sooner or later is going to have to prove that the "returnees" are, in fact, the same ones that were ordered off in the first place. Silly as it sounds, the burden of proof will be on the complainant if the owner contends they are different animals. Hopefully, there is photographic evidence from the initial complaint, and there are very distinctive markings to compare.

    Comment

    • Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 3152
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

      #17
      I would place a quick call to AC and ask if the first violation had been reported to the court? If not, I would ask that the judge be made aware of that violation due to the harrassment that you have received from the neighbor.

      I have a feeling that the AC officer didn't let the court know and basically gave the owner a freebie. These dogs don't deserve a freebie. They should have been destroyed by the courts in the first place (and that's a hard thing for me to say).

      What's sad is this neighbor is going to blame you no matter what. Even though it's his own stupidity that's to blame. Hopefully he will move soon.

      (the part about having them destroyed is hard for me as I have a black lab that was violent when I first got him. If you touched him when he was napping he'd try to take your arm off. I've had dogs all my life and know what they are capable of. I have successfully adjusted his attitude so that I now trust him enough to go to petsmart without hesitation. When done properly, dogs that have been made dangerous can be rehabilitated, but there aren't many out there who do it correctly. BUT he never bit anyone to my knowledge. If he had, I would do what I hate)
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

      If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

      Comment

      • mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • 4197
        • SC, USA.

        #18
        Thanks for all the good advice guys. I needed it. As I grow older I have calmed down a lot and try to handle things in a civil way. When I was younger something like this would get a quick reaction from me and I would be the one winding up in trouble. The other neighbors have said they will report the dogs if they see them and even told the owner they do not want the dogs brought back. I just can't understand how people like this think. Does he think because it has been a little over a year everyone has forgotten what happened and he can bring the dogs back and no one will notice? I remember that day well. It was the most fearful of my life and I can still hear my wife screaming for me. I hate to think what could have been if I had not been home that day. It was all I could do to fight those two dogs off and the owners failed to see the seriousness of it. Thanks for listening.
        Ken aka "mater"

        " People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

        Ken's Den

        Comment

        • Crash2510
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 830
          • North Central Ohio

          #19
          you are obviously calmer and more reserved than me. Those dogs would have been dead already in my neighborhood. I would let them bring them back so I could finish the job. To me dogs that attack people and other dogs without provocation have no place on this earth and should be exterminated.
          Phil In Ohio
          The basement woodworker

          Comment

          • MilDoc

            #20
            Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons in this world. Maybe someday the dogs will attck your neighbor. Meanwhile, I'd call the court too. Judges don't take kindly to having their orders violated.

            Comment

            • Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • 2091
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

              #21
              Ken,

              Be devious about the situation. Try to get a picture of the dogs at the house. Wait until he spends the money to build the fence. Then contact the judge and AC...

              Comment

              • JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • 4187
                • Lexington, SC.

                #22
                Ken,

                It's good to keep records of the dates and times and who said what. It helps a lot with credibility if you can give exact dates and times.

                It sounds like you have small children around and if that is the case, I would put a few baseball bats around just-in-case. If kids are not around (like for me), I would keep a loaded 22 rifle handy. I like dogs, we always had one growing up but my wife is scared of them, but if I owned a dog that was vicious, it would be dead. There are lots of nice dogs that get euthanized. There is no reason for anybody to keep a dog that attacks other animals or people. Attacking other dogs is just one step short of attacking people.

                I too would be tempted to put a CB cap in a 22 and end the waiting game if my neighbor had a vicious dog but that is not the right way to deal with it. Is it possible a conversation with the neighbor would help?

                Jim

                Comment

                • Daryl
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2004
                  • 831
                  • .

                  #23
                  Go talk to your lawyer about the matter. You will get better advice than you will off the internet, and a letter from your solicitor will likely carry more weight than any thing you can say to the neighbor.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

                  Comment

                  • cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 4503
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

                    #24
                    Do you have a written order? Can you get one? Does your AC department work within the sherrif's department? If not, you need to talk with the sherrif.

                    I agree that writing the judge makes sense, too. Remind him of the history, catch him up on current events, let him know what you're doing to try to combat it w/o having to get him involved, but tell him that it is becoming a struggle and you're feeling threatened.

                    Comment

                    • footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 1759
                      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                      • BT3100

                      #25
                      WOW! just read the first thread, and i cannot believe that the owner, the whole time, did not leave her front door! i think contacting the judge once you see the dogs, should do the trick.

                      when i was in grade 2 and 3, we use to walk to school. we had to go through a park to get there. every once and then a pit bull would chase us and we would run like nuts all the way to school with him chasing us (my friends, my sis and me). sometimes we would have to climb a boat in the play area in the park and wait until the dog went away. there were a few occasions, when that dog even managed to get my lunch. long story short, ever since, dogs scare me and pit bulls scare me even more. my parents, the school, no one ever the saw the dog the days they came out to see it and after two years, that dog never bothered us for another two years at that school. just disappeared.

                      we have neighbors around us who have dogs, they are always loose. twice i have had them run to us when my kids are out and ****, the owners just stand on their driveway calling their names. it makes me nervous. this action of theirs just pisses me off! next time, i too should get my shovel.

                      i wish i had a dog, and have asked the LOML to let us get a dog, so that our kids dont grow up being scared, but she doesnt like the hair bussiness in the house.

                      well, good luck with the judge, i hope that this stops soon so that you guys could feel at peace.
                      _________________________
                      omar

                      Comment

                      • Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 6021
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

                        #26
                        Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                        i wish i had a dog, and have asked the LOML to let us get a dog, so that our kids dont grow up being scared, but she doesnt like the hair bussiness in the house.
                        There are breeds that do not shed. The German Shephard is not one of them

                        Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                        For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                        Comment

                        • Greg.B
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 166
                          • Joppa, Maryland
                          • Ryobi BT3100

                          #27
                          Wow. I love animals but someone who puts other people and animals in harms way just isn't right. I would take care of those dogs myself if this were me.
                          Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

                          Comment

                          • Russianwolf
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 3152
                            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                            • One of them there Toy saws

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Ed62
                            There are breeds that do not shed. The German Shephard is not one of them

                            Ed
                            Huskies Don't shed



                            They Blow. But only twice a year and each time only lasts 6 months
                            Mike
                            Lakota's Dad

                            If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                            Comment

                            • gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 2793
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

                              #29
                              Originally posted by pierhogunn

                              There, once again proving that 90% of lifes little problems can be solved by high explosives...
                              Ahhhh, I love it when my philosophy of life is validated!

                              g.
                              Smit

                              "Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

                              Comment

                              • Iansaws
                                Established Member
                                • Jul 2007
                                • 101
                                • Marietta, Ga
                                • Ryobi BT3100

                                #30
                                Don't let it get to you

                                Sounds to me like your neighbor is just harassing you by talking big to your other neighbors. Just try to ignore it until you see a fence go up, then keep a close eye on things. If any pit bull shows back up, soak a sponge in some anti-freeze and bacon grease, then toss it over the fence in an inconspicuous spot. The dog will find it and your problems will be over, but not until the after your neighbor incurs some heafty vet bills of his own.

                                Just to be clear on this, it may not sound like it, but I am a dog lover, but the safety of your family comes first and sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands.

                                http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html
                                I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

                                Comment

                                Working...