• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Something to Be Proud of....

Our little town of Ellensburg has recently heard that just before Christmas one of the young men serving in Iraq was injured in a road side bomb. From what I have heard there were 8 men in the vehicle that they were traveling in and 4 survived. This young mans family lives here in town and since they have been calling my parents because my father is the commander of the local VFW and is part of a group that sends packages of things for the troops over in Iraq.

Well I have found out through my parents that this young man is coming home tomorrow (1-11). Well one of the local car dealers was contacted about renting a van from them so that they can go and get him and his parents from the airport as he is in a wheelchair. Well the dealer told the gentleman asking that they would not charge the VFW at all for the use of the van to go and get a young local soldier who was wounded serving our country.

Our little community has gotten together and in two days have made a wheelchair ramp and fixed some doorways so that his wheelchair can make it through the doors. From my understanding the materials for the work has either been purchased by the VFW or have been donated, and the time of doing this has been donated.

Between my mother and I we are trying to figure out when they are going to be getting in to town so that we can make some signs for him and see if there is anyone else in town that would like to come and join us in this event. One of the local hotels is going to be putting something up on their reader board.

It warms my heart to know that people in our town are coming together to do this for the young man, who will be 20 on sunday. But part of me is guilty because not everyone has gotten this attention or have gotten a good welcome home, in the years past that is.

I don't know if I should feel guilty or not but for the most part I feel very proud that I am part of this small town.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

You and your town should be commended and proud for what you are doing. These young people are giving their time and in some cases their lives for this country. No one forced them, they asked to do it and we should do all we can to support them inspite of own personal feelings about the war. Thanks for takning of this young man and his family.

Tom

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

It is good to hear all of you are coming together to welcome this young man home. In my opinion they are all heroes. Have an enjoyable day.
      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

It's great to hear stories like that. Too bad it's not always that way.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Grampy122
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2004
          • Sterling Heights, Michigan.

Just say thanks

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
            Bandsaw Box Momma
            • Apr 2005

Here is a link to our local paper with the article about the young man...

http://kvnews.com/articles/2008/01/1...6282154723.txt

I hope this works...I will post pictures of tonight when I get done with everything.

Comment

• DUD
              Royal Jester
              • Dec 2002
              • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Melissa

Your Family and Community should be proud for doing this. I hope several people turn out to Welcome Him Home. Bill
              5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005

I went to this event last night and forgot the camera. When I realized it I didn't have time run home and get it.

My mother and I were in contact with my dad who was with this young man and his family so we knew where he was and when he would be arriving. When I got to the gathering place there were about 15 or so people there, by the time we knew that they were minutes away there was about 30 people there with flags and a couple of girls with signs, one turned out to be his sister.

They pulled into the hotel under the main entrance and everyone starts cheering and yelling and this young man inspite of being injured asked to get out of the car so that he could thank everyone for being there. The news station showed up along with the local paper. Brought tears to my eyes to see him and the welcome he got and to also see how his sister reacted when she saw him.

Then his trip home through town was lead by about 4 city police, two firetrucks, 1 ambulance, and about 4 sheriff deputy cars. They lead him to his house with the lights going the whole time and he didn't even have to stop for stop lights.

I am proud to be part of this community.

Edit: Also there is a local NRA banquet tonight, when I believe a director or some other official found out what was going on outside the hotel he was staying at he came out and asked Brandon and his family to join them for the banquet because they wanted to honor him and his family for all that he had done. I thought that was cool.
                Last edited by Mrs. Wallnut; 01-12-2008, 03:27 PM. Reason: forgot part of the story

Comment

Working...