Tornado

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DUD
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 3309
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Tornado

    We had one today, it had rotation, not straight line winds. It stopped about 250 feet from My Brothers Home, which is a half mile from Me. One Business totalled lots of trees and fences, etc. We lost some branches, but no real problems. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    Glad to hear all is OK. Those things are scary.

    Comment

    • germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • 3567
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

      #3
      I lived in Kansas (Hutchinson) for 2 years and never saw one once. Dang! I kept the video recorder charged up at all times just in case.

      Seriously, those things are scary. People who live in places without tornadoes can't understand how sudden and destructive they can be. Glad no one was hurt.
      Last edited by germdoc; 01-09-2008, 07:07 AM.
      Jeff


      “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

      Comment

      • iceman61
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2007
        • 699
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

        #4
        DUD, it jumped across the river & tore up some stuff on the TN side, mostly in rural areas.

        Comment

        • DUD
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • 3309
          • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

          #5
          It was scary, We were under a Tornado Watch, but no notice of the storm. My Brother is still without electricity, His office was also off awhile. Iceman, I'm glad it didn't hit a city. Bill
          5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

          Comment

          • footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1759
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

            #6
            glad to hear that eveyone is fine. its really unfortunate for those who suffer losses during these storms.
            _________________________
            omar

            Comment

            • DUD
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • 3309
              • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

              #7
              The Red Cross was out for the workers, TV coverage local, Memphis, Little Rock, and Newspapers too. The City Water and Light Crews, Mulitple Fire and Police, it was amazing how quickly they acted. Found a link to our local TV station. Bill


              http://www.kait8.com/global/story.asp?s=7594272
              Last edited by DUD; 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM.
              5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

              Comment

              • jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • 2638
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

                #8
                Glad to hear no one was hurt.

                That same storm dumped two feet of snow on our deck at Lake Tahoe and five feet at the tops of the mountains.

                I knew the East was going to get hammered, but tornadoes in January never occurred to me.

                Comment

                • Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 10490
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

                  #9
                  Good to hear you are still on the ground! Grew up in the tornado alley along the Red River. The house I grew up in was hit 3 times. Don't miss them at all.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

                  Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

                  Comment

                  • lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 3853
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

                    #10
                    I saw the pictures on the news last night. Weird how those things hit and destroy one house and leave the one across the street untouched.

                    Glad you came though okay Bill.
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

                    Comment

                    • DUD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 3309
                      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

                      #11
                      I mean it was wierd, I know they just come and go, but it touched down, behind the Jr High that My oldest GrandDaughter goes to. It continued on and picked up just before My GrandDaughters Elementary School, damaging the roof as it went by. Bill
                      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

                      Comment

                      • Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 6021
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

                        #12
                        We don't get many tornados here, but we do get a few. I never actually saw one, but we had one come close to our house many years ago. It was scary, to say the least. Glad you were all spared the worst of it.

                        Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                        For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                        Comment

                        • ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 2553
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                          #13
                          You're right DUD, we can't imagine what those things are like. I watch that stuff ad it really creeps me out. I'm glad your family is OK - pretty dang scary that it was sooo close to the schools.
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

                          Comment

                          • iceman61
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 699
                            • West TN
                            • Bosch 4100-09

                            #14
                            DUD, I was watching the Memphis news last night & they were interviewing a couple here in my county that were in their 60's that the tornado hit their house. The roof got ripped off the whole house, & the news crew showed video to back this up; the ceiling drywall was sucked out of every other room. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The couple came out without so much as a scratch.

                            2 years ago a tornado hit here & killed 12 people. I was involved in clean up & while standing on a hill overlooking the line that the tornado took I saw that the roof was ripped off of every other house. It kinda looked like a checker board. They are truely strange creatures.

                            Comment

                            • Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 4301
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

                              #15
                              Glad you weren't too bad off, Bill. My Mom lives in Oklahoma and they get them frequently out there. She will be moving down to Alabama in about a year or so though.
                              Well a couple weeks back, I was out in the shop during a bad storm. We too were under a watch. I saw the winds pick up and hear the familiar sound. The shop itself didn't move, but stuff was flying all around. I saw a small pine tree behind the shop get topped out and fell towards the shop. I got down under a steel table in the shop and soon it was over. Nice and calm then.

                              The worst of it was just debris, but it picked up my big green trash can on wheels and carried it over the road and the fence about 150 feet into the pasture across the road. It apparently never touched the fence.

                              I have seen several tornado's when I was in Okla for awhile. They are still scary though. Especially so when they sneak up on you. I don't think this one actually touched down, but it was close enough for me.

                              A couple weeks before that, we had some hail that blasted the skylights out in my shop. I had just completed the roofing repairs to it when this happened. I just knew that roof was coming off.
                              Lee

                              Comment

                              Working...