• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

A Furniture Story

When I moved into my apartment I envisioned only myself so, not expecting to entertaining anyone, I installed a nice recliner and comfortable chair for my computer desk.
    Recently I met a lady my age that had just moved into the complex, we hit it off and have been dropping by one and anothers apartment for a glass of wine on occasion.
    I decided today to go furniture shopping so a visitor would have a decent place to sit.

My first stop was Macy's; They had some nice couches and the ones on sale were affordable. I spent about 20 minutes in the store sitting on this and that but never saw a salesperson. It's a shame as I found one I liked and would have bought it.

Next stop was Bassett; I was greeted promptly and asked what I was looking for and we found something I liked but in the wrong color, 4 to 6 weeks to order what I wanted. No sale again.

On to La Z Boy; I was treated like royalty when I entered the door, described what I was interested in an was shown what they had to offer. BINGO! They had just what I wanted and it was in stock. I asked about delivery and the salesperson checked and said that they were slammed and it would be next week. I said I really need it sooner and would have to see if I could get some help and pick it up. She went back to the phone and came back with "I can't guarantee a time now but we will deliver this week and call you in advance".
    That lady made a sale.

I can't fault Basset because they didn't have the color in stock that I wanted. Macy's lost a $1,500.00 sale because no one wanted to sell me anything, possibly my Levis and flannel shirt turned them off. My stop at La Z Boy was one of the best shopping experiences I have ever had.

I bit of a rant with a good ending.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

dick, a good case study for any retailer.

Glad to see you're finding all kinds of new things at your apt... when you first moved there it sounded dicey but so far you have a great harbor view to practice your photography and just enjoy, you got a new shop space with nice new tools put together and are even finding useful things to do, and now you have a lady friend coming around to visit. What next?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

One day at a time Loring.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Just watch that she doesn't infringe on the shop time, Dick!

Too many stores ignore you when you aren't dressed to their 'standards'. Those stores will not only lose a sale, but all future business as well. Macy's and Dillard's are both on my ban list.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I bought my big recliner from La Z Boy. It was my present to myself after getting my first real job some years ago. I went in and ended up getting the biggest one they had. I move around a lot in chairs.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Dick, you naughty boy...buying an "easy chair".

Comment

• ejs1097
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Dick, you naughty boy...buying an "easy chair".
              No, this is a good thing. She'll be nice and comfortable waiting for Dick to come out of the shop. "I'll be there in 1 minute, make yourself comfortable!"

We have a reclining queen anne, wall hugger and sofa from La-Z-Boy. Very happy with the products. Unfortunetly they closed the stores here in Pittsburgh. We purchased at 2 different stores, 1 salesman was a shark but the other was terrific.
              Eric
              Be Kind Online

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Like Loring said Dick it is good to hear things are working out well for you.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• jking
                  • May 2003
                  • Des Moines, IA.
                  • BT3100

I have learned there are certain purchases I need to dress up a bit for. It depends on what it is & where I'm shopping. Even places like J.C. Penney's can tend to provide less than helpful service at times. I've just accepted this is the way things work. I'm not saying it's right, but, I've learned to deal with it. Of course, there are stores that will provide very little service no matter what you look like.

Comment

Working...