• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

How do you inspect rough sawn lumber?

I've noticed that the degree of 'mill fur' left on rough sawn stock at the yard can vary from lot to lot. Sometimes you can still get an idea of the grain but usually the finer details are lost. What do you folks do to identify the grain? I've thought of taking a block plane, my pocket knife just doesn't cut it (oops, unintentional pun warning) and I don't think that they are likely to mill it for me to inspect. I'm scoping another project as my current one comes to a head and I started wondering about this.

TIA!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

one of the great surprises is buying rough lumber and finding the grain underneath...
    that's why buying s2s lumber can be more predictable.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
      • Nov 2004
      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
      • Delta Contractor Saw

When I lived in Pensacola, I had a supplier that skip planed so you could see the grain on one side. Since I've moved to South Carolina, I've been having my lumber shipped in from PA for not much more than I can buy local. The added plus there is that I've gotten to trust this vendor and feel assured that I'll get what I asked for.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'll have to ask about skip planing at this yard. The downside at this place is that they are so busy you can count on being there for 1.5 hrs. They don't mind you cherry picking the stacks but asking for S2S is an assumed purchase of that board. This mill is run by some conservative, old world people. The yard is crowded and muddy - nothing to look at but their prices are good and they are courteous. On the way out one time, while it was raining hare, I stopped and recovered a stack of wood that the wind had blown the cover off of. I didn't return for six months but they remembered that and have been pretty lax with their measurements at checkout time. I hate to ruffle those feathers.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Yes, take your block plane, and a spray bottle of water (for highlighting the grain, after you plane a small area). You might want to ask permission but I can't imagine any yard that caters to serious woodworkers would mind.

A moisture meter is a good idea, too, if you have one (something that's still not risen quite to the top of my own wish list, alas).
          Larry

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If you are going to use rough as you originally mentioned, you answered own question with the "block plane", Ironhat. My supplier would be shocked to not see me armed with my low angle block plane.. a pin type moisture meter.. my own red flags (with a hammer and roofing nails) and appropriate tie straps in my truck for hauling it off.

You could purchase S-2 or better that has been mentioned. And I do when I go through both S2 or S3.. S4 and rough. I am going to buy what I find to be best suitable for my project regardless of surfaced at that point or not. You could settle for some OK grain and figure with already surfaced.. when with a few swipes of a block plane, you could have found what you were really looking for or in a few cases some of the most exceptional you have ever seen period with a little more time spent exploring.

And on an added note.. Once you frequent a hardwood supplier that has old time emplyees that have been there a while, make a point to develope a friendly relationship with them and you will be surprised what doors open up for you. Take them a small present at Xmas and express your appreciation.

I have been looking for a grain patter in 8/4 Oak for over a month for re-saw to 4/4 to give me matching drawer fronts on both sides of a given level of drawers. The guys knew I was still looking as I already purchased all the side panel.. top.. and drawer stock already.

Got a call that suggested I come on down as a new semi-tractor delivered yesterday with nothing but Oak. My guy had went to the trouble of taking a few swipes on a few pieces and gave me a call. He told me they had just recieved and he said the sampling was quite good.

I got home with the two 8/4.. 9" x 12' footers about an hour ago after searching for around 4 hours. The drawer front stock is now in the shop with re-saw latter this afternoon to open it up to air to acclamate to what has already been purchased.

BTW.. my man on the scene got a free lunch for his much appreciated effort!

Comment

• affyx
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2007
              • Mechanicsburg, PA
              • BT3000 (sold), ShopSmith (bought then sold), BT3100 (just bought on CL)

Originally posted by ironhat
              This mill is run by some conservative, old world people.
              Is it Hollister? I've been meaning to get there.

I've bought from Coyle's in Carlisle - always S2S and I pick from the stack whatever I want. A little expensive but also generous with the measurements.
              Last edited by affyx; 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
              JC

LumberJocks: http://lumberjocks.com/affyx

"I lost my little saw and now I can't cope."

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

My favorite local yard is 'Allen & Allen' in San Antonio. Some of the yard guys were a surprised the first time I broke out my block plane. Now they think nothing of it.

I will pay the extra to select my stock and they guys in the yard know if I unstack it, I will stack it back.
                Last edited by Pappy; 01-03-2008, 10:25 PM.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I will pay the extra to select my stock and they guys in the yard know if I unstack it, I will stack it back.

I re-stack also Pappy. Now.. I think you can relate to this...

The perfect one or several perfect one's you dreamed would be there before you got there are always on the bottom... Always!

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Especially when you are looking through the 8/4 plain sawn White Oak for the one that has a QS pattern. Select prices aren't bad when you find that one!
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• mikebanks
                      Established Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • lowell, ma, USA.
                      • 2 BT3000 and 2 Delta 34-400's

Hollisters

I have been there. He is a real nice guy.

If you see him,tell him I said hi.

Email me and I'll tell you a story about him. a good story of going out of his way.

Mike
                      Maybe...........

Comment

Working...