• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

How do you test a carbon monoxide detector

So after reading about some people getting sick after their wall heater leaked carbon monoxide I decided to pick up a carbon monoxide detector. My question is how do I test it to make sure it actually works. There's a procedure for testing if the battery is still good but how to I make sure it's actually detecting CO.
    -Paul
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Can't remember what it was called, but purchased a small kit at the BORG with a plastic bag and a vial of something that you cracked open with the detector sealed in the bag, which is suppose to activate the detector if it is still working correctly ... might want to check Amazon as well.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• newbie2wood
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • NJ, USA.

I have alway wonder about that myself but have never tested the unit with CO. My unit is old (over ten years) but it beeps everytime I press the test button.

To answer your question, I guess you could take it out your garage and stick it near your vehicle tail pipe.
      ________
      Ebony live
      Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• p8ntblr
        • Jan 2007
        • So Cal
        • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by newbie2wood
        To answer your question, I guess you could take it out your garage and stick it near your vehicle tail pipe.
        I tried that and it went off a few times but most of the time nothing. I returned it and got another (same type) and got the same results. I did this with the car outside though. I'm wondering if it only goes off in a closed space because I had it about an inch from the tail pipe. I may try your suggestion JSCOOk.
        -Paul

Comment

• dkhoward
          • Dec 2003
          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
          • bt3000

Just a fe things to remember about CO detectors

First, the screens that they use to do the actuall gas detection have a definite life, and they more they are exposed to CO, the shorter the life. Exposign them to CO to test them reduces the life considerably.

In msot parts of the country, the local gas company and/or the fire department will come to your house and do a CO test for free. They will fire up all the gas appliances, test for CO in and around the appliance, test the flues, examine the burners, combustion chambers and safety equipment.

For the most part, you just have to rely on the manufacturer of the equipment that the unit is operable and propery calibrated. MY best suggestion after 25 years on the fire department is, buy 2, locate them in different parts of the house and be careful.
          Dennis K Howard
          www.geocities.com/dennishoward
          "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by newbie2wood
            ...To answer your question, I guess you could take it out your garage and stick it near your vehicle tail pipe.
            personally, I'm not sure that would work. CO is a byproduct of incomplete combustion. Newer cars of course are tuned to minimize CO, the amount (concentration) of CO coming out a tailpipe may not be enough to trip the detector threshold. Running a car in a confined, non-ventilated space may however increase the concentration to lethal levels because CO is heavier than air and will displace the air as it uses up oxygen. But, this is not a situation you should try to create.

CO is much deadlier than CO2 because CO2 is basically inert but CO is reactive and will combine with your oxygen receptors in your lung just like O2.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MilDoc

The "Test" button on some CO detectors checks the battery and the CO detector. On others it tests the battery and circuitry only. If the manual doesn't say, I guess you'd have to call the manufacturer to find out. Some companies sell CO test kits but they run around $15 or so.

Also, it is recommended that both CO and smoke detectors be replaced every 5 years, unless the manual recommends shorter or longer time. They do not last forever.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2007, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• MilDoc

BTW, from the First Alert site re: testing"

"NEVER use vehicle exhaust! Exhaust causes permanent damage and voids your warranty."

Comment

Working...