• Show
Clear All
  • jemmy
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007
    • IRELAND
    • Hitachi C10RA

Belive It Or Not???

hi there, dont know if this is the rite place or not but here goes, my grandfather one time told me, that he had bad sore joints in his knee`s and his mate told him that spraying WD-40 on his knee`s and rub it in hard it will take away the pain and free him up and you know what IT WORKED. REMMBER : YOU HEARED IT HERE FIRST, it`s a wee irish charm. DONT BELIVED ME ? TRY IT OUT FOR YOURSLEF? OR NOT?.
    Thank you, Jemmy.
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Go for it at your own risk. From the MSDS:

Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.

First aid:

Skin Contact: Wash with soap and water. If irritation develops and persists, get medical
    attention.

See MSDS for full information. While it doesn't sound too bad, I don't think that I would want to try it.

Jim

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

My wife had a bad problem with one knee. The doc recommended getting a series of 3 shots of Synvisc, which he labeled "WD40 for knees". She had the shots, and they really helped. She never tried the real stuff.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Here's a thread that pretty much covers the dangers of WD-40.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I've heard about wd-40 as joint lube for years, I don't believe any of it. There is nothing in wd-40 that makes it special.

get some DMSO from the veternary supply and rub it on your aches and pains.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

This thread immediately reminded me of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" with the father and his Windex cure-all. Just thinking of that scene with him spraying his elbow cracks me up.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

i don't get it - what's this thread got to do with "Getting Started" in woodworking?

Very off topic.

Besides that, its a very old, old wives tale.

according to this web article at about.com, a usually reliable source, it doesn't work and can be dangerous.
              http://arthritis.about.com/od/altern...nts/f/wd40.htm
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-13-2007, 12:47 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Garasaki
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                I've heard about wd-40 as joint lube for years.
                WD 40 is actually the opposite of a joint lube. It will remove moisture from whatever it is sprayed on. Great for keeping rust away, and works for breaking apart rust, but is in no way shape or form a lubricant. If you want a lubricant, use oil or even better that Dow spray on silicon stuff. That works really well.

Marginally less so on knees.
                -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                -Henry Blake

Comment

Working...