• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THyman
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Windos XP startup issues

I've recently come across a problem with my desktop computer. The computer turns on and goes through its startup routine but when it comes to the Windows screen, it freezes. When i reboot in "safe mode" and then go to msconfig, i can load the Microsoft only programs and it reboots fine.

I think it maybe something with Norton Antivirus. Any thoughts or recomendations.

Thanks.
    War Eagle!
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Did you load Norton recently? Did you install any software recently?

Also, does the machine go thru the memory check fully (and say memory is fine)?

If safe mode works, then you should be able to enable services one (or a couple) at a time - I think, have not used safe mode for some time. Should help in eliminating problem software.

It still is possible you have a hardware or driver problem. You could check device manager and see if any conflict shows up (yellow tag against any device).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I know when I used Norton Anti-Virus, I was constantly having weird things happen. Not only that, but adware and spyware were still showing up on my computer from time to time. So I finally gave my computer an enema, got rid of the Norton, and installed McAfee. No problems since, with a good 2 years under my belt. Not sayin' Norton is your problem, but it certainly was mine.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

My tech guy calls Norton 'bloat-ware' because the program has become large, cumbersome and inefficient. I dumped mine after I downloaded the '07 version and had nothing but weirdness. Un. Cracker and others have had good luck with McAfee. I'm using AVG at home and at work. They have a 'no bells and whistles', free version. Other than that I'm not much help to you.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Pakaderm
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ironhat
          My tech guy calls Norton 'bloat-ware' because the program has become large, cumbersome and inefficient. I dumped mine after I downloaded the '07 version and had nothing but weirdness. Un. Cracker and others have had good luck with McAfee. I'm using AVG at home and at work. They have a 'no bells and whistles', free version. Other than that I'm not much help to you.
          I use AntiVir, the free version. Works great!

http://www.free-av.com/

-Pak

Comment

• MBG
            • Apr 2003
            • Chicago, Illinois.
            • Craftsman 21829

In safe mode you may want to try to do a system restore to an earlier date.

( start-accessories-system tools-system restore )

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

in the safemode you can select manually OKiing items to load at startup.
              By clicking yes one at a time you can usually tell which one causes the hangup.
              or by selectively clicking no you can eliminate which ones hang the computer.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...