• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prlundberg
    Established Member
    • May 2006
    • Minnesota
    • Craftsman 21829

Well, when you're ready, here's some things to keep in mind.

Do you really need a 2-stage? The single stage blowers have come a long way and the Toro and Honda models are usually the best. They are light and easy to use. Can't be used on gravel though and probably not a good idea if you have a lot of landscaping rocks around.

If you need a 2-stage, Honda is the best you can buy but pretty pricey. Simplicity and Toro are also great brands. I have an Ariens that has served me well, and although I can see why it may not have done well in consumer reports (it's not the easiest to use), it is well built with heavy-duty components and should last a long time. It's handled everything I've thrown it at just fine over the past 4 years, but I will concede Ariens is not the same since they started selling at Home Depot. Look at things like the auger gearcase and the thickness of the steel. You'll definately see a difference between the premium brands and the rest.

Personally, if I had to buy again today, I'd buy a Toro, Simplicity, or a higher-end Ariens with traction control. Something in the $1500 range.

If you want one that's easier to turn, make sure it has a differential. On cheaper blowers both wheels drive together, which makes them difficult to turn. On some, like my mid-line Ariens, you can remove a pin on one wheel so essentially one wheel is driving and it's easier to turn. But this makes it tougher to control. Others have a wheel release lever to disengage a wheel. A differential is the way to go if you can find one.
    Phil

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Around these parts John Deere is commonly considered to be the best, but expensive. I have an old 10-12 y.o. Craftsman 5-hp, 22-in. model that is a little tricky to operate but still does the job. If I were buying one today for price/performance I'd probably get another Craftsman.
      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• gabedad
        Established Member
        • May 2005
        • Chelmsford, MA.
        • unfortunately bts-15

Ariens are not what they used to be. Living in NE you see a lot of 30 year old ariens still going strong. I bought one about 8 years ago and it needed a $500 overhaul last year for a a stripped gear. I talked to the guys who repaired it and said that ariens have gone to cheaper, less sturdy parts.

I like my snow thrower but I don't know if I would pay $1000 for it again. Especially when cheaper brands come with same snow king engine

Comment

• prlundberg
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Minnesota
          • Craftsman 21829

I think this is the website I frequented a few years ago when I was looking:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/

Lots of good information and advice there. Maybe too much information.
          Phil

Comment

Working...