X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RagerXS
    • Feb 2003
    • Brookline, NH, USA.

Snoblower Recommendation?

I'm replacing an Troy-Bilt 8 HP, 24" model made by Bolens. Wasn't planning the expense but the local service store wants $400 to fix the one I have and I think that may be a bit much to invest in a 12 year old machine that has never thrown snow more than 8' or so, maybe 10' on a good day in the 6 years I've owned it. In great shape I might be able to sell it for $500 or more because the appearance is still quite good. But I'm debating whether to even get it back from the shop.

I borrowed my neighbors Ariens 8 HP, 24" model that is 2-3 years old and it was smaller and lighter but the new 2-wheel drive systems are harder to turn (don't think the Troy-bilt had 2-wheel drive). This machine threw the snow easily twice as far as the Troy-bilt ever did, if not further. But Consumer Reports doesn't rank Ariens very well -- near the bottom in fact.

LOML thinks I should borrow my in-laws' machine and buy a new one in the spring. My thoughts are that when spring comes I'm not likely to save more than $50 or so, with very limited selection, and then I'll probably hear 'do we really need a snowblower purchase when it's going to sit for 6 months?'

~ Fred
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Living in Florida, not much of a need for one. But, living in the North, I would prefer to have one of these V8 versions.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...36803_42261_-1

Cub Cadet 10hp

Nice headlights

Heated Handles

I think HD carries them now for a few hundred less than I got mine for a couple years ago.

Comment

• WayneJ
        • Jan 2004
        • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I had aMTD that lasted 22 years, 5 hp 21" The holes the axel went through the case wore out. I replaced it with a 8hp 24" MTD that i've had for 8 years.Only thing that I replaced was the front skid plates that I made with heaver steel. Electric start is a big plus. I like a heavier machine because it don't ride on packed snow as much. About 800 bucks at HD.
        Wayne
        Wayne J

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Last spring I bought this Sears model

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...88790&sLevel=0

Reviews on it were great and after using it through two large snowstorms last year and a couple so far this year, I have to say that I'm quite impressed also. Does a great job. Has electric start, but only used it once when I first got it. Starts on the first pull every time. Love the joystick for the chute control and it can turn on a dime. Only thing I don't especially like: it has 2 reverse modes, but both are slow. One of them could be faster. Has 5-6 forward speeds. I used store pick up as online was about $100.00 cheaper when I bought it in February, '06
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Tequila
            • Aug 2004
            • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I've got a 4 year old version of what JHART linked to - slightly different chite pointing mechanism, but it looks like the same overall design and engine.

Electric start works great. I agree with the complaint on the slow reverse gears. My only other complaint is the way that it switches between one and two-wheel drive. There's a cotter pin that slips into one of the wheels to lock it to the axle. When it's cold enough to need a snowblower, it's not easy to line up and insert that pin. Probably wouldn't be a problem if I had a full sized garage to store it in.
            -Joe

Comment

• RagerXS
              • Feb 2003
              • Brookline, NH, USA.

I believe the Cub Cadet is made by MTD (as are a ton of other brands) and it is typically considered their premium brand. How much is that one going for? My guess is several hundred over $1K. A nice machine but I'm not sure it's in my budget.

My neighbor's Ariens leaked from the gear box when I used it and I've read about others having problems with them leaking. That combined with the premium price tag and low CR ratings will have me purchasing something else.

I seem to prefer the Toro and the really nice joystick control with trigger pulls that disengage the drive wheels from the handlebars for turning. But I'm about 95% sure that the Sears model ranked so highly in CR and linked to by jhart is made by Toro (unless MTD is making both of them, not sure on that). The Craftsman version didn't throw snow as far for CR, but all the reviews I've read from users say that not only does it throw snow quite far but so does it's smaller 7 HP cousin. I'll be stopping at Sears during lunch today because while everyone else has limited stock and complaints of availability Sears actually has them on sale.

~ Fred

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

My suggestion? Move down here to FL...

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by RagerXS
                  I believe the Cub Cadet is made by MTD (as are a ton of other brands) and it is typically considered their premium brand. How much is that one going for? My guess is several hundred over $1K. A nice machine but I'm not sure it's in my budget.
                  HD sells one for $750. No heated handles so you have to wear extra gloves, LOL! 3 year warranty. Power steering, electric start, etc. Check out the details of what comes with it here . . .

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100596927

Comment

• RagerXS
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Brookline, NH, USA.

Did some checking at lunch. The Craftsman and Cub Cadet I believe are made by MTD and have a nice joystick similar to but not the same as the Toro (which was the first and is the best).

To get the power steering in a Craftsman you have to go to the 9HP, 28" model for $849 while the Cub Cadet is $749 and 24" but with no advertised HP rating. The 208 cc engine on the Cub Cadet is likely 5 HP to 6 HP.

The lowest model Toro with the power steering feature is $1400.

To me, the sale at Sears makes the 9HP Craftsman the best deal. The problem is that the none but the Toro are actually in stock. HD tells me the truck comes tonight and I can check availability online in the morning...

Sears.com says the unit is available, the salesman said it isn't and to ignore what the site says. Yuck.

~ Fred

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

MTD makes the snowblowers for almost all brands. The only exceptions I'm aware of are Toro, Ariens, John Deere. There may be a couple of others, but, not many. If you're looking at 8 hp two stage throwers, there really aren't many ways to go wrong. It just depends on which features you want and which you're willing to go without. I would stay away from plastic impellers; some of the chute adjustments appear a bit cheezy, but, they probably work. Overhead valve engines are supposed to last longer, they are definately quieter than conventional engines.

I will speak up here regarding the Ariens brand. I don't know the reasons CR rates the Ariens brand low, but, you have to take their ratings with a grain of salt. Some of their ratings can be a bit misleading. I have had my Ariens (6hp 22in 2 stage) for three years. I did not feel the price was outrageous & I expected a quality product. I have not been disappointed. Granted it has not seen extremely frequent use (4-5 time each winter), but, I have not seen any kind of issues like your neighbor. I have run it through 18 inch drifts in my driveway & it didn't have any problems. We're getting snow today, so, I'll probably have to fire it up tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

• JeffG78
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                        • BT3100

I have a 7 hp 24" Cub Cadet that's about 5 years old and it has been great so far. The only gripes I have with it are that the chute rotation crank is backwards. Crank counterclockwise to turn the chute right and clockwise to turn it left. I turn it the wrong way at least 50% of the time before swearing and turning it back the other way. The other gripe is that the chute top walks up every few minutes as the snow hits it. I have tightened the fasteners over and over, but heavy snow will still cause the chute top to slip upwards. Otherwise, it has always started on the first pull no matter what the temp or conditions and even on the first useage of the winter. It has a plug-in electric start, but I've never had to use it. I always drain the gas and run the carb dry at the end of every season. I have sheared several fracture bolts, but it was always due to my error. FYI - snowblowers don't like Sunday papers I was clearing the neighbor's sidewalk while they were out of town and couldn't tell that there was a bagged Sunday paper buried under 8-10" of snow. Oops.

Comment

• dedaddy
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Dallastown, PA, USA.
                          • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

I got a 40% discount from the BORG on last year's model Honda snow thrower. Brand new. Just talk to the manager and pay cash.
                          Lee
                          =============
                          I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• RagerXS
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Brookline, NH, USA.

With the current shortage of availability and high pricing I've decided to wait until the spring. I have my in-laws' machine to use for this winter and if there are no deals or selection in the spring, then I'll shop early next fall...

Comment

• jhart
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

This spring I saw the 9.0 hp Sears modell on sale for $799.00. I had paid $899.00 online with store pick up and the store price at the time was $999.00
                              When I was in HD over Thanksgiving weekend, they had a model that was the spitting image of the sears. I think it was by MTD, which is who makes the Sears unit.
                              Joe
                              "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...