• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

laminated particle board cabinet repair

i have a cabinet door that has 2 european hinges on the bottom (the door hides the garbage).

there is a metal ring that the garbage basket fits into, and there is a chain that is attached to the ring and the door at the other end (to prevent it from opening).

2 question:

are there hinges available that have limits built in? in other words, i would like to eliminate the chain.

secondly, the particle board on the door itself is so brittle, that i can't secure it to the hinge mounting screws. is there a strong product available that may remedy this? i tried mixing sawdust with glue, and that held for about a month.

i was also thinking about laminating some wood over the hinge drill-outs, but i don't know if there are hinges available that adjust to accomodate the extra distance of the hinge ends.
    Last edited by Cheeky; 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM.
    Pete
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

In a similar situation I drilled out the screw holes to 3/8" and epoxied chunks of hardwood dowels in the holes. Then I pre-drilled the doweled holes and used longer screws. Careful you don't use too long a screw.

Good luck.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Many european hinges have stops, I think most do. You can get openings from 110 degrees to 180 degrees. It seems like you may want something close to 90 degrees which I do not remember seeing. If 110 degrees is not too much, you need to look at someplace like Rockler.

It would take a different mounting plate but you can also use the "screws" sold to be used with 5mm holes in the true 32mm system cabinets to deal with the oversize holes/weak particle board problem. You should see these in a catalog like Rocklers. They sell mounting plates for the hinges for both regular wood screws and for the oversized ones that are used when you make the cabinet with a boring machine and have 5mm holes the full height of the cabinet. The hinges are also available to take these oversize screws.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would fix it like eecentric suggested - drill for a dowel, glue the dowel in the particle door, and then put the screw into the dowel.

same way we fix most screw holes in wood or particle board that got stripped or wallowed out.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cheeky
          • Nov 2006
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

i'm going to try the dowel method.

what should i use for the adhesion?

i have titebond III, Gorilla, and 2 part epoxy. is there something better?

thanks again!
          Pete

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Cheeky
            i'm going to try the dowel method.

what should i use for the adhesion?

i have titebond III, Gorilla, and 2 part epoxy. is there something better?

thanks again!
            anything should work, there's a fair amount of surface area on the outside of the dowel.
            I'd glue it in with yellow glue or titebond, then use a flush cutting saw to trim and sand to make totally flush. Then pilot drill.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

laminated particle board cabinet door repair

Probably not what you want to hear ....but I think the best repair would be to make a new door out of good cabinet grade plywood and laminate it with the same laminate as the old door has on it. I know it may be hard to match the laminate that is there now, but the plywood door will last 20 times longer and won't need any repairs like the particle board one needs now.

In my opinion, particle board is in the same material class as is osb, they are both junk for the most part, just wood scraps and glue, not designed to last for very long. eezlock

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I go along with gluing in a dowel and piloting a new hole. Euro hinges aren't designed to carry that much leverage force. Either the hinge will fail, or the screws will pop out. A flap style hinge may work better. You may consider a drop lid support with some adjustment to it such as this.

You might be able to use hardware like this and adjust the opening degree in how it's mounted.

Comment

Working...