• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

PTAC Heat Pump & AC For Shop

I believe I have narrowed my search down for heating my shop. I was looking at LP systems and with installation parts, tanks, etc I was looking at $700 - $1000. This of course does not include AC and presents a higher risk of fire than electric heat pump. So I decided to look at PTAC's. I figured for less that $1000 I get 15,000 BTU air and 1.25 ton heat pump with electric back up heat. Given the cost of gas I believe the margin of operating cost between electric heat pump and LP has closed substantially.
    Anyone have experience with these units? Any recommendations on brand? I am seeing Amana, LG, Carrier as the main players. I am leaning torward LG as I have been impresed with this company. Pricing seems similar between brands.
    Anyone know of a distributor in PA/MD that will sell to the public? I check one source here in York that will sell wholesale only which requires a license. This of course is very stupid as window unit AC does not require a license.
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I don't know of any. The only big consideration with electric is deregulation breathing down our necks. No matter where you look, it isn't pretty.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Hellrazor
      I don't know of any. The only big consideration with electric is deregulation breathing down our necks. No matter where you look, it isn't pretty.
      True. We have been catching a big time break on electric for quite some time. It's gonna be brutal.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
        True. We have been catching a big time break on electric for quite some time. It's gonna be brutal.

Boy, you're right about that. Thought the margin between the two may spread again it's going to be **** in either camp. I nearly gave up on using my woodstove this year but thinking better of it the grandkids and kids came over today and stacked wood. We've been fortunate with the slow onset of winter. I had run the heat pump idea through my mind but accessing enough power to the shop would have meant a backhoe and repaving part of the driveway. The current underground race isn't large enough. Best of luck!!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• KenBurris
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          I am leaning torward LG as I have been impresed with this company.
          All things change, and sometimes improve when they do, but I recently discovered that LG was the new corporate name given to Goldstar in 1995. - that said, the Goldstar microwave we gave to my parents 20 years ago still works fine
          Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by KenBurris
            All things change, and sometimes improve when they do, but I recently discovered that LG was the new corporate name given to Goldstar in 1995. - that said, the Goldstar microwave we gave to my parents 20 years ago still works fine
            Owwww. I did not know that! I am 99% decided on an Amana anyway.

Comment

• DUD
              Royal Jester
              • Dec 2002
              • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Some States like Texas and others, places like Sam's Club will sell small one piece heat pumps. In Jonesboro, Our Home owned Utility is much cheaper than any kind of gas. Our Electric rates are some of the lowest around. Bill
              5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by KenBurris
                True, but they have changed very much since then. I have 3 LG window airconditioners, and all work well and are very efficient. LG is currently one of the leading manufacturers of LCD display technology, making very high quality panels, and they make a good phone. So, even though Goldstar had a bad reputation, don't pin that same reputation on LG.

Jim

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I do not like my heat pump (conventional) in the upstairs of my house but for a shop I think it would be OK. Heat pumps put out air at around 100 degrees F which does not feel warm. I doubt I would notice in the shop but when it blows on your face when you are trying to sleep, it is objectionable to me.

Electricity rates in most areas of the country should be fairly constant with the main issue regulation. If we decide we must limit fossil fuel use (greenhouse gasses) and especially if we also reject nuclear power and try to use wind and solar, then rates will go up very fast. If we let the utilities choose the least expensive way to make the electricity we want, then rates should go up at about the general inflation rate. Deregulation of electricity also led to a price increase, at least in most areas. So far, the old regulated utility model seems to work best for consumers. It is also bad to live somewhere overly reliant on natural gas fired plants (like Texas). For plants burning fossil fuel, by far the biggest cost is the fuel itself so when that goes up sharply.... For nuclear, hydro, solar and wind, the main cost is for the plant and, for nuclear, the people to run it safely. That makes their cost more stable but in the case of wind and solar, very high (unless the government subsidizes them).

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Jim,

I knew that heat pumps did not function well in extremely low temperatures, however I was not aware of the lower temp of air pumped out until last night when I was investigating whole house humifiers. I found that due to lower heat at the pleneum one has to use a hot water feed for whole house humidification when using a heat pump.

I ordered an Amana 18000 BTU PTAC w/heat pump yesterday. It will be so nice to have heat and air in a well insulated shop!

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by JimD
                      Electricity rates in most areas of the country should be fairly constant with the main issue regulation.
                      Jim, electricity will be deregulated here in the near future. They are forecasting 30-50% increases.

Comment

• dedaddy
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Dallastown, PA, USA.
                        • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

Jerry, The first thing you should do is insulate the heck out of the garage and seal up all gaps and cracks. The money and time you spend on that will pay for itself very quickly. Also, install and exhaust fan somewhere so you can take advantage of cool nights for cooling and warm days for heating. You should have the system set up where you can manually disable the backup electric heat. Heat pumps have very long recovery times if left off for a long time. It cuts in the electric heat which makes you meter spin-dizzy.

I learned a little about HVAC working at York Intr. for 37 years.
                        Lee
                        =============
                        I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by dedaddy
                          Jerry, The first thing you should do is insulate the heck out of the garage and seal up all gaps and cracks. The money and time you spend on that will pay for itself very quickly. Also, install and exhaust fan somewhere so you can take advantage of cool nights for cooling and warm days for heating. You should have the system set up where you can manually disable the backup electric heat. Heat pumps have very long recovery times if left off for a long time. It cuts in the electric heat which makes you meter spin-dizzy.

I learned a little about HVAC working at York Intr. for 37 years.
                          I am insulating the crap out of this thing. I have also determined that I waited too late in the year for this! Man it is cold!

I am insulating walls, blowing in ceiling, caulking everything, really doing it right, possibly too tight. Of course that compensates for a 2 car garage door that is "insulated" but only as much as they can be.

I'm sure I will be back with questions when I get my first bill!

Comment

Working...