• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Deciphering glue expiration dates

A while ago, i read an article in one of the wood mags about how to tell the expiration/creation date of "yellow" glue.

Been ripping up the house to find the issue, with no joy.

Do any of you remember the key to finding out how old the glue is.

Many thanks for your help. I now have about 5 years worth of mags to put away, what fun.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if it won't come out the spout, it's too old.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
      • Nov 2004
      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
      • Delta Contractor Saw

I was looking for that same info a couple of weeks ago and got this off of Franklin's site:

(For example, the code 405 indicates that the product was packaged the fifth week of 2004.) I'm not sure it applies to all their products but it might be a safe assumption.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Titebond has a code on the bottle that starts out with a number followed by a letter. The number indicates the year that the glue was bottled, i.e. 7 = 2007 and the letter indicates the month, i.e., A = January, B = February. They do not use the letter "I" in this code so the letter "J" = September.
        Last edited by sweensdv; 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Well Bruce, you could go by the taste, but I wouldn't recommend it. Dave is right. The dating is only the first two: a number and a letter. They don't use "I", so it doesn't get confused with the number 1. The rest of the numbers have to do with their production code.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Thanks Guys,

It all comes back to me now. I really like the taste test option, can we get one that tastes like Sardines?

Bruce
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
              Thanks Guys,

It all comes back to me now. I really like the taste test option, can we get one that tastes like Sardines?

Bruce

If it tastes like sardines it's BAAAAAAAD

Comment

• Rob R
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • West, Michigan.

i called franklin the other day to ask about this. Doug at franklin gave me a lot of info. basically it boils down to:
                when titebond on starts to ball up when you spread it, and you can't smooth it out, toss it. this might be 10 years.

titebond II when it turns a nasty orange color instead of yellow, and starts to have a consistency of vaseline, toss it.

titebond III hasn't been around long enough to go bad. and if you think it went bad because of changed consistency, rap the bottle a few times until it changes back.

hope i got all the details right.

the magazine you want i'm pretty sure is the woodsmith with the pecil post bed on the cover. i didn't feel like looking for it either.

FWIW
                rob

Comment

• ejs1097
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I have this magazine also and was wondering that myself this week. I can tell you it's Family handyman or Workbench. I think it's Workbench but I can't find it online. I recall it bascially saying each companies expiration is about 1-2 years but i can't recall how to determine based on the codes. Sadly I don't know which issue it was in.
                  Eric
                  Be Kind Online

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by sweensdv
                    Titebond has a code on the bottle that starts out with a number followed by a letter. The number indicates the year that the glue was bottled, i.e. 7 = 2007 and the letter indicates the month, i.e., A = January, B = February. They do not use the letter "I" in this code so the letter "J" = September.
                    Thank you Dave. Working on 36 years and that was until now one of those mysteries of life for me. I don't like to use old glue as I suspect the properties separate after a given time and spoil the original intention. I worked C/S for Anehieser Busch back in 1976 and it it a fact that water and malt in beer will separate after 90 days. Sunlight will speed that processs up and that's why most beer companies use dark colored glass when it is bottled.

BTW Cabinetman, if it taste like King Oscar double layer sardines that are packed in olive oil send em to me. I already have a case of tabasco sauce on hand. Now.. if it taste like Miller Beer and not Budweiser.. throw it out!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for the replys to my request. Eric, it's probably Workbench Magazine, as I don't have a subscription to Family handyman, I'll dig it out of the pile and post the content of the article.

Sarge, Sardines tast really good is a buttered white tost sandwich, I always use that line as a gag (no pun intended) as most people hate them, along with Anchovies.

And why am I not surprised that Cab uses the taste test, I hear they're coming out with Lo-Cal Titebond.

Again thanks,
                      And look for the post of the article.

Bruce
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...