• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Looking for DVD recorder comments/experiences

The VCR crapped out a month or so ago and all that is available is VCR/DVD combo, which I don't want. Since I now have digital cable/broadband and with the phase-out of analog, supposedly 2/09, I am looking for a DVD recorder with digital tuner.

If you have one, what have been your experiences? I have seen some of the readers comments online and am getting a bit leary of being on the bleeding-edge right now. I think they may have phased VHS out a bit too soon.

Brand names and model #'s would help. We are not real heavy into audio/video; just want a reliable recorder for playback. Also to copy VHS tapes to DVD.

TIA
    Ken
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lago
    The VCR crapped out a month or so ago and all that is available is VCR/DVD combo, which I don't want. Since I now have digital cable/broadband and with the phase-out of analog, supposedly 2/09, I am looking for a DVD recorder with digital tuner.

If you have one, what have been your experiences? I have seen some of the readers comments online and am getting a bit leary of being on the bleeding-edge right now. I think they may have phased VHS out a bit too soon.

Brand names and model #'s would help. We are not real heavy into audio/video; just want a reliable recorder for playback. Also to copy VHS tapes to DVD.

TIA
    Ken
    Yeah, I think the digital format the cable companies send out are incompatible with the ATSC digital broadcast format which makes limited sense.

That means: You can't use the new digital TVs to receive cable digital TV, you still need the cable digital box
    Any DVD recorders I've seen (but I haven't looked in the last year or two) always emulated the VCR with a built-in tuner.
    I suppose its possible that newer DVD recorders now have digital ATSC tuners. Which means they won't be able to tune cable digital channels.

My DVD recorder which is two years old, I tried to connect it to the Composite video out of my AT&T IPTV DVR to offload some recorded programs and the DVD recorder refused saying the program material was copyrighted. Somehow the programs in the DVR are earmarked and DRM in the DVD honors that. Even in analog format.

So it would not surprise me if new DVD recorders with HD-capable ATSC tuners would also refuse to record OTA movies and other DRM-materials.

Now, I understand cable companies also send you full analog service with your digital service, so you can do like I do, you can record analog cable signals with your NTSC ( analog) tuner in the DVD recorder. That works. And when I last quereied them, the cable comany did not have any deadline on which analog cable service would go away... meaning your analog-based tuners may be safe for a while longer, at least beyond the OTA broadcast deadlines.

yeah it's overwhelmingly complex sometimes.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-27-2007, 11:30 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      That means: You can't use the new digital TVs to receive cable digital TV, you still need the cable digital box.
      And I think that's exactly the way the cable companies want it to be. That danged box is what keeps us under their thumb...

Comment

• lago
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Lago Vista, TX.

Made it into town today and stopped at Circuit City and asked for someone that knew everything about DVD recorders. Had 2 of them talking to us.

I told them I was on cable and that I wantd to record without having to use the DVR. They recommended a Panasonic that is on sale at this time. My lucky day or were they just pushing that particular model. Asked about returns and they indicated that about 3/4 of the returns were due to 'user error'. I can relate to that. I know some people that still can't set the time on their VCR, much less read the manual.

I looked at some of the reviews and will probably go in Friday and get it. As much as I hate to do it, I will probably get the extended warranty. Just one service call will probably cost more that the warranty.
        Ken

Comment

• mac_daddy
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2006
          • Sugar Land, TX
          • BT3000

Looks like you MIGHT have 3 more years after OTA analog signals are supposed to be dropped.
          http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/...-cable-co.html

That said, I have a LiteON 5005 which has dual write (writes both + and - media DVDRW)
          I've used this to record everything, from sat S-Video signals to OTA analog, to VCR RCA input. I think any DVD Rec should do for awhile.

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

Since I have a bunch of recorded VHS tapes I haven't watched yet(also received about a dozen new tapes for Christmas last year), I picked up a Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder a few days ago.

Stll playing around with it, doing a lot of RTFM. I was a bit surprised, about a 70 page manual and ALL in English.

Ken

Comment

• p8ntblr
              • Jan 2007
              • So Cal
              • Craftsman 22114

I have the Samsung VR330. I've used it mainly to record TV shows. Works great. No problems so far.
              -Paul

Comment

Working...