• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

bluetooth headset

LOML wants a bluetooth headset for Christmas. I know less than nothing about them. Any suggestions. I did make her promise to only wear it while driving.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

i'm interested in responses to this too. i have a motorola h500 i believe, and the thing is worthless. corded deal sounds much clearer.
    Pete

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

If you really want to confine her to car use only then a car based system is by far the best for clarity, safety, etc.

This unit is nothing short of awesome . . . . .

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Parro...oductDetail.do

This is the unit I use in my car . . . it is a little more but is absolutely amazing . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Ck3100-.../dp/B000CSNAGQ
      Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 11-24-2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by messmaker
        I did make her promise to only wear it while driving.
        LOL, I agree completely. I think it's funny when people walk around with the Lt. Uhura look. Of course, I am annoyed with cell phone use in public in general. I am just an old 33-year old prude, I guess.

Sorry for hijacking...and now back to our regularly scheduled bluetooth headset advice thread...
        Joe

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I took the opportunity of purchasing a stereo Bluetooth headset since I have a USB Bluetooth adapter I can use it with my laptop for Skype or other VOIP services, with my Hometheater PC as wireless stereo headphones and as a hands free cellphone headset. Mine is made by Jabra it works well and has a range of about 25'
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• MilDoc

WOOT has one for $15.99 + $5 shipping:
            http://www.woot.com/
            Reviews:
            http://reviews.cnet.com/bluetooth-he...-32132906.html

http://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Systems-...5884214&sr=8-1

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

I got the motorola H350 for about $30. I like it--seems to work pretty well. I personally don't see the need to get an expensive unit or a dedicated car unit for what I use it for.
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• ivwshane
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Sacramento CA

Get a good quality headset. The difference in bluetooth headsets are;

voice quality, not only what you hear but what the other person hears
                fit/style, as in how it goes on your ear, like inside it, around it, or on it, some feel more comfortable then others. If it's not comfortable you will never use it.
                battery life is another difference. Better quality headsets have better batteries which means less time having to charge it and therefore more time to use it.
                And lastly, range is another important factor. Better headsets allow you to use your headset further away from the phone without incurring any static or disconnects.

Having said that, these are the ones I'd recomend:

Plantronics 510 (this may now be discountinued or may have been replaced with a newer model). This headset sounds great to both parties. It allows multiple pairings and has great range and great batter life. The negative is that it's a little big and ackward to put on your ear.

Motorola H700 is a relatively small headset with a nice feature of being able to disconnect the bt from the phone by simply folding it. Voice quality is good (not as good as the 510 though). Battery life is average as is the range. It's a good headset if you are looking for something that's easy to use and light weight. The negatives are it's range or rather it's lack of range, it also isn't very loud (it is if you have good hearing).

jawbone, this headset is perfect for those that work in a loud enviorment and need the other party to be able to hear you fine. You can litterally mow your lawn and have a coversation at the same time and the other party wouldn't know it. However it is big and you will look like some star treck nerd.

The one I plan on getting though is the moto h12, it's small, lightwieght, has decent call quality and comes with things like a clip to clip on your shirt and hold the h12. I haven't personally played with one yet and my concern is the range and battery life.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • IL, USA.
                  • DELTA 36-675

These are the bluetooth headsets that I own and use. Logitech mobile freedom was the very first bluetooth headset I've owned and have had it for over three years. I now use it for talking via Skype. The Plantronics discovery is what I use on my cell phone in the car. Both of these headsets work great for what I need it for.
                  Last edited by SHADOWFOX; 01-08-2008, 12:52 AM.
                  Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• ivwshane
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Sacramento CA

The discovery is a nice one as well.

Comment

• KenBurris
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Motorola HS850

got a refurb from buy.com fror $35 - in original bubble pack, works great, comfortable to me - (I wear glasses - no problem)
                      Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• pierhogunn
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I got a plantronics 510, took about a week to adjust to it, but it sounds great, works great, and I have noticed slightly better reception on my cell since I don't have the thing up next to my melon head
                        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Related question. About to upgrade the boss' phone to the same as mine. If we both have the same phone and bluetooth devices, probably the 510, is there going to be a problem when we are in the same room? Would her bluetooth be able to answer my phone or does the bluetooth pair to a specific phone/device? Her's will be paired to her phone and her laptop.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have the Jabra BT-500. it is small, light, and comfortable enough to wear all day. The sound quality on it is excellent, I never get the "you sound like you're in a tunnel". It fits behind the ear so it is difficult to see and you don't look like you're trying out for a part in the next Star Trek movie.

I bought it and my other office phones at www.hellodirect.com. The have reasonable prices and outstanding customer service.
                            Chr's

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • IL, USA.
                              • DELTA 36-675

Originally posted by Pappy
                              Related question. About to upgrade the boss' phone to the same as mine. If we both have the same phone and bluetooth devices, probably the 510, is there going to be a problem when we are in the same room? Would her bluetooth be able to answer my phone or does the bluetooth pair to a specific phone/device? Her's will be paired to her phone and her laptop.
                              Pappy, you should not run into any problems or conflict of any kind. As long you don't pair her bluetooth devs with yours. Also make sure that when you are doing the discovery mode, her BT devices are not turned on.

Chris
                              Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...