X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gslyons
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007

Worst birthday ever...

This past Saturday we took my 12 year old son to Busch Gardens for his birthday. The day went something like this: ride Montu, pet and feed the giraffes, have an emergency appendectomy.

He started complaining of stomach pain off and on about two hours in, but we assumed it was all of the running around, or sugary junk he was eating. When it started getting worse/more frequent, I decided to cab it back to the hotel with him so he could rest while my wife, stepson, sister and mother continued on at the park.

At the hotel, the pain grew worse and he started vomiting, and I decided that we'd better get him looked at. We went to a doc-in-the-box clinic where they shuffled him through and referred us to the ER. I was a bit skeptical given the superficial exam they gave him and the fact that it was 5:25 and they closed at 5:30. I briefly considered driving home (3-4 hours) to have him checked out at a familiar hospital, but decided to get him seen right away.

Long story short, from ER to OR to recovery, overnight in a private room and discharged in less than 24 hours. Less than 6 hours from ER to surgery (unprecedented in my experience). He did in fact have an inflamed appendix which they removed laproscopically. I was blown away by they level of care and kindness shown by the entire staff (University Community Hospital). He is now home milking the recovery for all that it's worth, and I'm pondering how the heck to make it up to him.

~g
  • smc331
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • BT3100

Please convey my wishes for a speedy recovery! I'm glad everything worked out well...
    Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• Garasaki
      • Sep 2006

My wife and I went to Las Vegas for our honeymoon.

3rd day there she started having terrible pain in her stomache. Yada yada pretty much same story as yours - about a day after walking into the hospital we walked back out, sans her appendix. Needless to say our honeymoon was a bit less exciting after that.

We had an insurance snafu, and the hospital was sending us itemized bills for her surgery (lathroscopic as well) - those 24 hours in the hospital cost the insurance company like 35,000 dollars.

In case your wondering, the scalpal they use cost $1200 bucks.
      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
      -Henry Blake

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I hope he recovers quickly and glad you caught it in time.

I know what you mean regardin the surgery. I have 3 brothers who all got appendicitis - for some reason I never did. Even in the few years from the first one to last there were advances so the difference was 4 days in the hospital vs an overnight stay.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pierhogunn
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

well, at least get the appendix stuffed and mounted in a clear bowling ball for the kid, ( or a key chain...

Hope he is feeling better
          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• gslyons
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2007

Well, I was explaining to my son about my father's appendectomy scar which is ~6" long from side to navel (they must've removed it with a backhoe). When I called to tell dad what had been happening, he told me that he too had his appendix taken out on his twelfth birthday.

But the coincidences get weirder. When my son's mother (not LOML) dropped off the prescription for the pain meds, she got to chatting with the pharmacist. He also had his appendix removed on his twelfth birthday... ...Nov. 17th, the same as my son's.

I now fear there is some worldwide conspiracy to harvest the appendices of young boys with the age of twelve being the time of peak ripeness.

~g

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • IL, USA.
              • DELTA 36-675

I am glad everything went well with the surgery. It sounds like your son deserves a PS3 or Wii.
              Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

As bad as it was, at least it didn't burst before they could get it out. That was what happened to me and that was NO FUN at all!

Best wishes for speedy recovery!
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• germdoc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Omaha, NE
                  • BT3000--the gray ghost

I understand what you mean "worst birthday ever", but anytime you go under general anesthesia and tangle with the surgeon and come out "OK" is a good day in my book!

Back in 1992 my daughter (age 4) was very ill with a recurrence of a Wilm's tumor of the kidney. After a long period of very challenging chemotherapy she was rewarded with a trip to Disneyworld through the Make a Wish foundation. She was sick during that visit and in fact had to have a 2-day hospitalization at the Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital for a bloodstream infection. In spite of the problems she had a good time and has very vivid memories of the rides at Disneyworld and the theme restaurants we went to.

So your son may in fact remember this as a GREAT birthday!
                  Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

So the best part of the birthday got delayed. Glad everything turned out OK.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • On the TARDIS
                      • BT 3100

I certainly wish a speedy recovery to your son. Just make him promise that he won't try to out do it next year.
                      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, gosh he's out of appendicii (if you don't get it refer to this thread...http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...hlight=octopus)
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

For me, it went from a strange tummy ache ("better call the nurse hot line just in case," I thought) to surgery just a few hours later -- and the pain went from simply uncomfortable to crippling in the same time.

I was in total shock -- I was supposed to be on an airplane for a cross-country flight, but instead I was getting wheeled into the O.R. . . they don't mess around with appendicitis, that's for sure. (I was in my late 20's and was in for a few days.)

Well, I wish him a speedy recovery. I know the whole ordeal probably feels a little surreal!
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Garasaki
                            In case your wondering, the scalpal they use cost $1200 bucks.
                            Just like the $5 Tylenol. And folks wonder why health care (and insurance) cost so much.

Comment

• dkhoward
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                              • bt3000

Last December, on the 19th, 3 days before my 53rd birthday, the surgeon cracked my chest and performed a double bypass. On my birthday I was complaining and moaning and whining when one of the nurses, not so tactfully pointed out, that at least I was there to celebrate a birthday. TOday, I walked 18 holes of golf and then went and saw my 1 month old grandbaby, painted some trim I milled in my shop and cooked chicken fajitas for my wife and I.

The birthday did suck, but I am glad I got the present I got. A new start!
                              Dennis K Howard
                              www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                              "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...