• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

nail me

There was a story in the local paper recently about vanity license plates...

one sub-story was about plates in questionable taste. It said that a dallas nail saloon operator had plates that said "NAIL ME" for a number of years before someone complained and the TXDOT refused to renew hers for the following year.

my comments
    1) seems perfectly reasonable to me given her profession.
    2) If someone knew what the innuendo was surely they were not so innocent as to be offended.
    3) Maybe she was a hobby woodworker on the side and was referring to her Bostich 10 ga. Framing nailer.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

If I had seen that plate I probably would have thought about woodworking or the other thought would be that she was asking to be pulled over, as in "nail me" for speeding or doing some other traffic violation.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I dunno... She was probably well aware of the double entendre, and the powers-that-be have to draw the line somewhere. Better that they err to the side of caution.

Comment

• pierhogunn
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

as long as she is not a raccoon, or raccoon hunter ( see another thread)
        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Depends on what she looks like. It may have been a non-issue.

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I would like to know who's in charge of reviewing vanity license plates.

In college I had a professor whose license plate read "Bmblum". "Bumbulum" is Latin for little fart. It came from a medieval legal pleading, too complicated to explain here. I bet they didn't know what that meant, wanna guess?
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Jeff,

I bet no one who saw that plate knew what it meant either. I had a plate for a bit that said 'jibin' - alternative spelling for a windsurfing term. A lot of people thought it was 'jivin' typoed.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• final_t
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003

A lot of people are too sensitive and need to get a humor transplant.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by final_t
                  A lot of people are too sensitive and need to get a humor transplant.
                  Humor is subjective. What is funny to one may not be funny to another. And one person's rights usually end where the next person's begin. That's the way of things.

Comment

• dlminehart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Personally, I like the double entendres that are superficially innocuous enough to give an reasonable alternative explanation to a curious 6 year old. Like the local food delivery van with the slogan, "Eat Out More Often!" Or the beekeeper's truck with "Eat Your Honey!" Guess I would have let "Nail Me" slip past on that account.
                    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...