• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

how did you get started in WW

This poll was inspired by the Brainard Mass school district closing their H.S. woodworking shop.

How did you get started?

I can see I already left out "Friend or co-worker" probably an important answer.

P.S. I never took WW in H.S. since my elective was in music and computer science.
    I wondered whether I would have found an earlier interest but I finally did when I was co-den leader for my son's
    cub scout troop and found i enjoyed the wood projects, a lot.
    High School shop Class
    17.79%
    Father had interest
    20.25%
    Grandfather had interest
    5.52%
    Other blood relative (not father of Grandfather)
    3.07%
    Brother -in-law
    0.00%
    Father in law
    1.84%
    Boy scouts
    0.00%
    Boy Scout leadership role
    0.61%
    Leisure learning class/community
    3.07%
    Project needed skills-necessity
    20.25%
    internet
    3.68%
    Other
    23.93%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Although "Father had interest", I was allowed to look but not touch anything - later it was High school class that hooked me
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

In my case, it was Nahm and NYW. My father was pretty handy, but had NO interest in building furniture. I caught a NYW episode by accident while I was in high school, and watched Nahm make a curved door for an armoire. I was fascinated by the fact that he took several straight boards, glued the edges at angles, and had a curved door. Cool!

Later I learned to build theatrical scenery, which is a whole 'nuther way of thinking, but my skills did get better. I had to wait until I actually had some disposabe income for a BT before I started. This website has helped a bunch--the advice and encouragement is invaluable. Plus, nobody here sniffs at my cheapo-toy-saw-that-can't-possibly-be-accurate. Hee hee.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• MilDoc

I had to answer "other." I've never had shop class, no relatives that do woodworking, etc. Just always wanted to try it. It's fun and relaxing.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I put in community class, though it's not exactly true : i was always interested in ww , and had used hand tools as a kid, but just did not know a TS from a jigsaw. Saw this community class advt, enrolled, and found my true calling (spiritually speaking ).
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

I got started in woodworking for a number of reasons so I selected other but my father probably had the greatest impact.

Before I retired my job was training others in process improvement. Nearly all of the workers were in a production environment so part of the training was to show them the value of jigs. Even though the primary work was in metal I used wood to develop some prototype jigs to explain repeatability, increased quality and speed of production. Bought the BT3100 for that reason. That kind of got me thinking about my father.

My father was always doing something around the house to repair or improve things. As a kid I remember him constantly working in his shop or on the house. His dream was to have a ww shop that he could spend his time in when he retired. Prior to his retirement he purchased all his tools and set up his shop. We then found out that he had Alzheimer's and he was never able to live his dream.

Knowing that I needed something to do when I retired (early due to health reasons) I followed the same path as my father. Bought the tools, set up the shop (I thought, still buying) and then retired. My health has improved and I now enjoy doing all sorts of projects and I guess to a certain degree I feel I am somehow doing this partly to fullfill my father's dream as well. Strange but I feel that way. I trust he is watching and approves of the results.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

No option for "side effect of other hobby/interest".

I had so much sewing stuff, and did so much of it, that devising efficient storage and work areas meant a custom solution. With some house remodeling and reconstruction experience, it seemed much more cost-effective to spend money on ww tools than ww labor.

Hah! Little did I know that I would acquire another expensive activity.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005
                • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I had to chose "Other" because I could have clicked on a couple of different things to vote. My father and great uncle were into construction and I had interest in that and also I liked having wood shop in Jr. High and took some welding classes in High School. And now that I have been married to Mark for 12 years now and he picked up the WWing bug that has given me interest.

And also knowing that we could make things better than buying them in the store gave me interest also.
                Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

It was a combination for me. I voted other because when I was young one of my father's very good friends was a master carpenter. I was (still am actually) fascinated by the quality of the work he turned out with the seemingly limited tools he used. In jr high I had a shop teacher who was an excellent teacher. He also ran the local model rocket club.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

"Other" for me too.

It was a necessity, it was part of "life" in growing up on a farm without a lot of extra money. I remember making some of my own toys - bamboo whistles, slingshots, boats, cars, planes etc - all around 6 or 7 in age. I saw, watched and observed other toys, wood items as well as mechanical and electrical work, even as a young child. Any skill that came out of that was put to use in real work on the farm. It was more or less expected in that era in those situations. I had friends and relatives that did the same.

I had an uncle that built houses and that was fun. We had a thickness planer, jointer, table saw, moulder makers for table saw, drill press, as well as hand planes, and other hand tools.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 09-29-2007, 08:26 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

My Dad made small projects around the house like workbenches, closet organizers, etc. it was whatever he could make with his RAS. I usually didn't get to help much. In high school I took 1.5 years of WW class and loved it.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Tequila
                        • Aug 2004
                        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I chose "father had interest" even though he would be classified as a tool collector per another poll. I don't think he used his tools for anything more than a couple of test cuts. If there was a "looked interesting so I taught myself" option, I would have gone with that.
                        -Joe

Comment

• DJehlik
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Walnut Creek, CA
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Full Circle

My brother and I built model airplanes, from scratch and from kits, starting at ages 8 and 9 respectively. We developed our competitive efforts, he to the world championship level. We both took all the HS shop classes, and majored in Industrial Education in college. He taught apprentice classes for the US Govt. I went into the USAF, flying as a B-47 Navigator-Bombardier. After leaving the service I taught HS wood, metal, drafting and electronics.

After retirement and a 10 yr. hiatus I began taking wood classes through a local adult ed. program. Having a blast updating my skills.

Obviously it grates against my core to hear about so many HS programs being closed, for whatever reasons. Folks don't realize the benefits of being able to apply math and science and critical thinking skills in an immediate application as they are learned.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

My start wasn't really planned as you'll see in this thread.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Father owned a little crafty/wwing side gig. Pine furniture with brad nails, stain and wash coat of shellac. Mom did the country toll painting on a lot of the stuff.

This is where I learned my respect of power tools. See, my Dad did not believe in carbide, blade sharpening, replacement, etc. Smoking tools and burned wood was a way of life. Imagine my amazement when I fired up my first saw with a properly aligned fence and new sharp carbide blade!

Luckily the only problem we ever ran into was that I cut off the tip of my thumb with a bandsaw. Got it sawn back on and it has always been fine. Got lucky.

BTW, a couple of months ago when at my parents house I found something very special. My first ever project! 9 years old I made a little chess board out of pine squares. What a coold find. I'll have to post up pics. I am sure you will all be impressed!

Comment

Working...