• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Herding Cats

It's my eldest's birthday tomorrow so today we took 5 3year old girls to a children's museum today. I had a wonderful time but I really have no idea how childcare/kindergarten teachers/etc do it every day.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

five three y-o with only two adults (I assume you had the sense to get help) is a handful for anyone.
    My wife and I did Sunday school for 5 y-o, that was a hoot. They were cute and dressed nicely.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      <snip>
      My wife and I did Sunday school for 5 y-o, that was a hoot. They were cute and dressed nicely.
      I teach SS to 12/13 y.o. and just have to say that it's a good thing that, "Thou shalt not kill", is written in stone. Their newly forming hormones give them all sorts of attitude. I wish they were 5 y.o.!!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by crokett
        It's my eldest's birthday tomorrow so today we took 5 3year old girls to a children's museum today. I had a wonderful time but I really have no idea how childcare/kindergarten teachers/etc do it every day.
        Teaching teenagers is like herding cats, too! How do we do it? I can't speak for anyone else, but my reward for teaching all day is I get to work with the good kids in the evening. I get my jollies from the little progress every day. I had a girl come into my class 4 weeks after school started (she'd been truant the whole time) and spent the first two weeks just frowning at me. Now at least she'll say hello. Still won't do her work, but I hope that will come.

Or, as a friend of mine put it: "large amounts of alchohol applied internally..."

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

My wife and I teach preschooler SS, too. One day the wife was out sick and I ended up with everyone showing up that morning -- one kid brought her cousin, and another brought his friend. A total of THIRTEEN. Good thing that classroom has a door. I'm never doing it alone again!

I went to a b-day party today for a 4 year old at a place called My Gym. There were probably 20 kids in there, but lots of stuff to do. The man and woman that were "in charge" did a great job keeping them all busy. Lots of activity change-ups and fun stuff. I can't imagine doing that for a living... I have a hard enough time with two. They must go home and sleep for days between shifts...
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Assuming that the vast majority of women have single-child births, I think that's why God made pregnancies 9 months long....so you can't have five 3 year olds together!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Alex Franke

I went to a b-day party today for a 4 year old at a place called My Gym. There were probably 20 kids in there, but lots of stuff to do. The man and woman that were "in charge" did a great job keeping them all busy. Lots of activity change-ups and fun stuff. I can't imagine doing that for a living... I have a hard enough time with two. They must go home and sleep for days between shifts...
              They probably had padded walls and floor, no doubt that helps a lot.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...