• Show
Clear All
  • CManinLa
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007
    • Covington, La.
    • Craftsman 315.218290 (Portable)

Craig's List question on searches

Often times members will post when they see bargains on Craig's list. I have looked on Criag's list & sometimes have even searched for items. I have a question on how to use the search feature.

Usually to use Craig's list, you must first enter a 'state' & 'city'. Then you can select an 'area of interest'; like 'tools', 'tickets', etc.

After selecting the city, you can do a search from here. For example, if I put 'saw' in the search box, it will search in 'tools', 'tickets', etc. but from only the city I selected.

Is there a way to set a filter for 'tools' & search all tools in more than one location? For example, I would like to search for 'planer' under 'tools' in all the cities in my state. This would be easier than having to re-drill down to the state & each city under that state.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any shortcuts that I'm missing.

cm
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

http://crazedlist.org/

http://www.craigshelper.com/
    Pete

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Either I'm doing something wrong or they don't like IE 6
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think that CL puts a cookie in your computer, in fact I'm almost sure of it.

If you go to www.craigslist.org for the first time on my new machine,
        it takes me to a home page where it might ask the city or location.
        Suppose I choose Houston.
        The next time I lwent to www.craigslist.corg, it took me directly to
        http://houston.craigslist.org.
        So, you'll have to clear your cookies almost to get back to the universal home page.
        You can choose another city/location but it just modifies the cookie.
        Other than clearing the cookies, I don't know how to go back to no location.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-21-2007, 10:33 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• CManinLa
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2007
          • Covington, La.
          • Craftsman 315.218290 (Portable)

I used the links Cheeky gave here. Searches appear to work, but a window shows for each city searched. Then have to select tools. The person who wrote these search engines indicates that Craig's list enforces the search by city restriction, for whatever reason. He states the way Internet Explorer works, this can be enforced. If Mozilla FireFox is used as the browser this restriction can be eliminated & the expected search results is achieved.

Each city that is searched returns a window with the search results. That's the results I was trying to acheive. Didn't necessarily want separate windows...but that will do.

Thanks.

Comment

• linear
            • May 2004
            • DeSoto, KS, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

I use the RSS feeds.

Using Thunderbird to read them (this should work in about any reader) you can set up a persistent search. So that looks like a folder that is empty until one of your search terms matches.

Biggest problem with that approach is that no one consistently spells anything. So you should search on "bandsaw" "band saw" "bnadsaw" and so forth, or just scan the main feed from time to time.

RSS feeds are quite useful.
            --Rob

sigpic

Comment

Working...