Been On The Edge Lately?

Brings meaning to the phrase.
    Attached Files
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Is there a political reason they are all leaning to the left? or is one ship leaning to the right? The lady doesn't look to happy, wonder if it was her boyfriends car?

Oops just looked again the 2nd ship is leaning to the right. Was never in the Navy don't know Starboard from Port. Don't you drink Port? Don't know Bow for Stern. Some people might say I don't know my Stern from a whole in the ground.
    Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 09-14-2007, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by TB Roye
      Is there a political reason they are all leaning to the left? or is one ship leaning to the right?
      Tom

I wondered about that too. Maybe it's due to the rotation of the Earth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

do cars list or is it only ships? If not, what do they call it then, leaning?

How far do you have to go to be capsized? more than 90 degreess list?

Is there a term for what happened to that car? It hasn't quite rolled over yet but it seems to have reached an equilibrium. He's going to have to get a new side view mirror. Definately more than just leaning. If it were a drunk we say it was lying down.

Do ships have side view mirrors?

If a ship leaves San Francisco, sails to, and then capsizes in OZ, is it then right side up?
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-14-2007, 10:55 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Is there a term for what happened to that car? It hasn't quite rolled over yet but it seems to have reached an equilibrium. He's going to have to get a new side view mirror. Definately more than just leaning. If it were a drunk we say it was lying down.

If a ship leaves San Francisco, sails to, and then capsizes in OZ, is it then right side up?

The real question delves into the definition of "listing". IOW, a vessel can "list" without "capsizing". In turn, "capsizing" infers that the vessel has taken on water. So, a ship can list without capsizing. As for the purists, you could say they are canted, leaning, tilted, slanted, pitched, tilted, sloped, or inclined. As for "listing" we shouldn't confuse the word with the process of "listing" which to us woodworkers means to trim a strip of wood (sapwood) from the edge of a board.

As for the mirrors, some might have side view mirrors, and as an option may be equipped with a rear view mirror. I'm sure that if they do have side view mirrors the starboard one will have the printing "Objects are closer than they appear".

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Copiague, New York, USA.

Well, she can't complain her car won't turn over !!!!!!!!!
            It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• dkhoward
              • Dec 2003
              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
              • bt3000

Actually both ships are leaning to starboard (right) as the bow of the ship is facing the picture taker. If you were standing facing forward on the ship, it would be listing to starboard or to the right. The car however is leaning to the left. Being a Beamer (I think) that is sort of suprising. Now had it been a Volvo or a Saab I wouldnt have been surprised at all.
              Dennis K Howard
              www.geocities.com/dennishoward
              "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by dkhoward
                Actually both ships are leaning to starboard (right) as the bow of the ship is facing the picture taker. If you were standing facing forward on the ship, it would be listing to starboard or to the right. The car however is leaning to the left. Being a Beamer (I think) that is sort of suprising. Now had it been a Volvo or a Saab I wouldnt have been surprised at all.

You are quite right about which way the lean is going. As for calling the car a Beamer, here is a thread you might have missed.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Loring, sometimes you scare me...

If the ship capsizes in OZ, it's only right side up if it made the trip to OZ backwards...

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Russell, NY, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Phew! The car I can understand; but TWO ships!! How in the world did that happen?
                    RuffSawn
                    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      The real question delves into the definition of "listing". IOW, a vessel can "list" without "capsizing". In turn, "capsizing" infers that the vessel has taken on water. So, a ship can list without capsizing. ....
                      Both those vessels have obviously taken on water. But I would not say they've capsized....yet.

According to the dictionaries I checked the definitions run to Overturning and or going bottom up... which would indicate my preference which is that they have to have gone past at least 90 degrees tilt.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...