• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Stanley Tools customer service story

I got a Stanley wall cabinet for my birthday last month, but a plastic tab used to fasten the back to the sides had broken off in the box. So I called 1-800-STANLEY, and the conversation went like this:

(After one ring and a polite greeting.)
    Me: "Hi, I got a cabinet about a month ago, and one of the parts was broken..."
    Them: "Do you see a part number in the user manual?"
    Me: "Yes, it's [part number]."
    Them: "Great -- Let me get your name and address, and we'll ship another one to you right away."
    Me: "Uh... Okay. [Gives name/address]"
    Them: "I'm sorry about the inconvenience. Give it about a week to get there. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

That has to be the quickest and most to-the-point positive customer service experience I've had... After speaking only about four sentences, I hung up the phone with a smile on my face.

...so I thought I'd share it. =)
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I bet they were fired the same day for being too helpfull

Comment

• goslin23
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Richmond, TX
      • Rigid TS3650

I actually had a very similar experience dealing with Ridgid when I purchased my floor model jointer. It was missing a few parts and the phone conversation I had with CS went just about like Alex's did.

-=gos=-
      If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Maybe I should call them and tell them I ordered a Stanley #1 handplane a while ago and when it arrived the box was empty, could they please send another??
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

The very best CS I ever received was from Delta (the plumbing fixtures company, not the power tool co). I called for some advice on how to get the 10-year-old faucet apart, they not only told me the trick how (involved vinegar) but also voluntarily sent me several rebuild kits plus replacement rings I'd screwed up trying to get it apart - all at no cost and worth quite a few bucks when I had no expectation or anticipation of getting anything, let alone useful info.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

I had a Stanley rachet break and it was handled exactly the same way. They do it right. I keep that in mind when a tool purchase comes down to Stanley and someone else.

I am not sure that this does not need to be moved to the tool forum as it may impact a tool purchase. Perhaps a Moderator will agree.
            Last edited by messmaker; 09-10-2007, 05:04 PM. Reason: additional input
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• tedkitch
              • Jul 2006
              • NE Suburbs, Chicago
              • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

I've had the same experience with Stanley. I was very thankful and I've purchased quite a few tools since then, just because of the incident. Another one that did the same thing was Crawford. I purchased a peg board kit that was missing a piece and they not only sent me the missing piece, but a whole new kit free of charge.

Nice to know that some folks still get it right!
              Ted Kitch

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I love to hear about those kind of endings. My absolutely best customer service was with Sony. They sent me 3 different monitors, then ended up refunding my entire purchase price. Never did figure out why it wouldn't work right, but they bent over backwards to satisfy me. I'd buy another Sony because of that.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Cheeky
                  • Nov 2006
                  • westchester cty, new york
                  • Ridgid TS2400LS

my sis in law and I bought my bro a Thomas compressor for xmas. the handle was cracked, and they sent it to me overnight and it arrived xmas eve.
                  Pete

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Same here, Alex.
                    I ordered a fence and blade for a Stanley #78 plane. They sent the wrong blade, I called and within 30 seconds the correct blade was on the way via priority mail, no charge.

Another company who's support has impressed me is Rikon. I've called 2-3 times with how-to questions which were answered in detail. On two occassions they called me back the next day to check that everything had worked out o.k.

Comment

• jhart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

I'm always amazed at how some companies get it and many don't. When someone takes the time to look up the number and make a call, they're looking for an answer to a problem. Think of how many times you've call a CS dept and not really gotten satisfaction. In most cases, you probably will not purchase from that company again. On the other hand, when you get great service, you shout it to the world.

Just recently had a problem with an order from Land's End. My fault completely, as I ordered the wrong shade of a color on a shirt and I had monogramed it with my initials on the sleeve. When I called CS, there was no hesitation on their part about returning it, even though I admitted that it was my error. New one arrived (no charge for shipping) before I had time to send the other one back. Emailed me a few days later that they had recieved the return and were issuing credit for it.
                      I've bought thing from them for years, and that is one of the reasons why.
                      Joe
                      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• eezlock
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Charlotte,N.C.
                        • BT3100

Stanley customer service

That is some good news for sure...to hear that a least a few companies
                        Like Stanley, Sony, Delta and others are at least still concerned with
                        producing good products and still care about customer service and giving
                        advice and providing repalcement parts when needed to keep their customers happy. Sadly, this day and time most companies don't care or
                        are not concerned with customer service and have outsourced all their
                        operations to India or some other foriegn country. eezlock

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I can give a nod the CS depts of Moen, Ridgid, Sears - (no kidding!) and RCBS (Olin Industries).
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

• KenBurris
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

me too

had to take the door to my basement off to get a couch down there . Had a $6 Stanley hinge pin self-closer, but could not remember how to adjust it. Found an instruction pdf on Stanley site, but could not open it - said file was corrupted. Stanley e-mailed me a new file in 2 days
                            Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• ragswl4
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Winchester, Ca
                              • C-Man 22114

Kreg, absolutely the best customer service I have ever had. On two occasions, one with a drill bit and one with screws splitting hardwood. They sent me a new drill bit, had me send back the bad one which they sharpened and returned to me. For the splitting problem, they sent me a box of 100 different style screws which solved that problem. ALL AT NO COST TO ME!

I will never buy any other pocket hole product besides Kreg. Good CS works!
                              RAGS
                              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...