• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What's The "E"???

Alfred E. Neuman (from Mad Magazine), anyone know what the "E" initial stands for?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

It doesn't. The name originated on the Henry Morgan Radio Show in the early 50's, as an obscure character who was a satirical reference to then-popular composer Alfred Newman. The Mad staff borrowed the name and massaged it into it's present "Alfred E. Neuman" for trademark purposes, and because they thought it sounded better with the "E" initial. The magazine has never officially given a name to the "E".

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      It doesn't. The name originated on the Henry Morgan Radio Show in the early 50's, as an obscure character who was a satirical reference to then-popular composer Alfred Newman. The Mad staff borrowed the name and massaged it into it's present "Alfred E. Neuman" for trademark purposes, and because they thought it sounded better with the "E" initial. The magazine has never officially given a name to the "E".

All the searches I did revealed the same info about the name, except for your statement: The magazine has never officially given a name to the "E"..

Somewhere in my memory there seems to be a recollection of a name for that initial. I may be wrong, but maybe others here will tell me that I'm wrong. I thought it was something like Euphonse or something like that. If there is no real name and you are right, maybe we should ask for suggestions to one that is fitting. Whaddya think?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I remember reading on a comic book trivia site a couple years ago (for the life of me, I can't remember which) that although a couple of fad designations had been attributed to the initial, no official endorsement had been given by the publishers. That's all I remember, because I am senile...

Comment

• Sawduster
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Man, I bet I had every issue of that magazine for several years running as a kid back in the 60's. Just something about the very strange sense of humor of the folks who made it. Often wondered what the "E" was for.
          Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
          ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Sawduster
            Man, I bet I had every issue of that magazine for several years running as a kid back in the 60's. Just something about the very strange sense of humor of the folks who made it. Often wondered what the "E" was for.
            I too had most of the issues but from the late 60's and 70's. As well as some books (which I still have) of some of the more amusing stuff from the 60's issues. People who read MAD had strange senses of humor (raises hand).

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I bought my daughters a copy of MAD while at Barnes and Noble after reading the previous thread. It just frightens me to think I almost let them grow up without it.

Bad dad!

I haven't been able to get it away from them to read it for myself though.
              Chr's

Comment

• Stormbringer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Floral Park, NY
                • Bosch 4000

Going off topic further (since it seems the original question has been addressed), my favorite parts were SPY-VS-SPY and the page on, hmmm...what's his freakin name....you know, the sad sack with the long nose and chin, oversized shoes, looked like an overweight Stan Laurel????

Regardless, those were my favorite parts of the mag...and the slick folding back covers

Greg

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Mad Mag.

Can't say I ever heard what the "E" stand for, but I've tried to live up to his motto all these years: "What me worry!" I can remember the first issue that was sold at a newsstand..too long ago to believe..however; I was working the swing shift at a direction-finding station in AZ. The guys that relieved us at midnight had the first copy ever sold. When the sun came up the next morning we still were all standing around laughing our guts out, I bet we re-read every page at least more than I can remember. Just wish I had that "first" copy; even now it brings back fond memories and lots of laughs just remembering.
                  RuffSawn
                  Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

My mother would find my MAD issues tucked in my school notebook and beat me with it. She said that it was making me stupid. Oh well, we all have to die of something. Do you guys recall the little characters that would run around the margins? When I was in college in about 1970 one of my profs would tell us about being on the original staff of the mag but he said that he couldn't elaborate (Hmmmm). You would never have guessed it with his bow-tie and polished shoes. He definitely had a quirky side to him - in a good way, that is.
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

Working...