• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

A Question

I bought a simple computer desk ($109.00) at Office Depot yesterday. Today was the day to unpack and assemble it. I expected a full day project. The instructions were fantastic (none were realy necessary). The nuts, bolts and screws were packaged in a compartmentalized plastic holder by size (not just thrown into a plastic bag). The necessary tools, other than a phillips screwdriver, were supplied.
    After 2.5 hours the desk was assembled and my computer set up and running.

Now the question:

WHY CAN'T THE TOOL MANUFACTURERS DO THIS?
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

The we wouldn't have all the fun we have assembling our tools, like the HF 14" Bandsaw. IKEA has just pictures in their instructions, no words that way it save on printing in various languages. Thank can be fun sometime as the drawing aren't that great.

Tom

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

You have great point Dick. I appreciate vendors who make products that are user friendly.
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The instructions are full of (I hope your sitting down when reading this as your in less apt of a posistion to fall over from laughter) parenthesis (warning, more warnings coming), that warn of (can you keep all these parenthesis in order?) what harm may be cuased by (oh no, the bad english manual tranlation again) improper installation. (legalese)

As someone brought up earlier, why include only part of the tools? Where is my screwdirver?

Get the jist? (yes, I cuold right manewuals for products assemblee.....)
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

If they did it would make life easier for us.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Dale In Corona
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005
            • Corona, CA, USA.

Actually, that sounds allot like the RIDGID 13 In. Thickness Planer that my wife bought me as a birthday gift. (Did you notice that gloat there? kind of sneaky huh? and I even snuck in some parentheses ) I was pleasantly surprised at the neat way that the nuts and bolts were packaged in blow mold plastic and that they supplied the tools to assemble the thing.

So maybe the answer is, some do, some don't. It all depends on the tool and or the manufacturer.
            Last edited by Dale In Corona; 08-17-2007, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Whaler
              I bought a simple computer desk ($109.00) at Office Depot yesterday. Today was the day to unpack and assemble it. I expected a full day project. The instructions were fantastic (none were realy necessary). The nuts, bolts and screws were packaged in a compartmentalized plastic holder by size (not just thrown into a plastic bag). The necessary tools, other than a phillips screwdriver, were supplied.
              After 2.5 hours the desk was assembled and my computer set up and running.

Now the question:

WHY CAN'T THE TOOL MANUFACTURERS DO THIS?
              It's a function of capability vs. complexity.
              can you cut a piece of lumber with your desk?
              if so, buy fewer tools and more desks.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rja
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                • BT3100-1

When I unboxed my new BT3100 three years ago, the parts were very well organized, in their own little compartments, and easy to locate.

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

I think the bigger question is "Why do so many manufacturers of different products have such a hard time writing instructions that can be easily understood?". It's always been my thinking that people writing instructions should write them so a kid could understand them.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Do you ever wonder if any of this relates to our poorly taught (little expected from the students) English skills? We don't hear much about modifiers and proper punctuation any more. How many times have you read something online that uses 'it' or 'they' so often that you no longer can tell which of the two nouns are being referenced? OTOH, the Chinese may not have quite acquired these language skills as yet. LOL!
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by ironhat
                      Do you ever wonder if any of this relates to our poorly taught (little expected from the students) English skills? LOL!

Legalese isn't English.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...