• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mater
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • SC, USA.

I may lose my shop temporarily

I will lose my woodworking shop for a while at least if our house sells. My wife and I have decided to sell our home and move. We are looking at a couple of places but it all depends on our house selling. This is something we have been thinking about for a long time. Her knee is giving her problems so we think we need a one story house as we grow older. If the home we buy does not have a detached garage then I will have to build one. Wish us luck.

House
    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Ken, Hope you find a place soon, being away from the shop kinda gets to ya...wood withdrawl pains! As far as a one level house, best idea you could have come up with. When I retired we gave a lot of thought to a nice big two story house, but then reasonableness set in and we had a all on one floor house built. Detached garage/shop with a car port so the car lives ouside all summer. Winter, all my tools are on rolling platforms so I can store them away when the car is in at night. Anyway, good luck!
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Ken,

The "thought" of moving kills me. I hate moving! However, even more than that, I have come to have a disdain for two storied homes and stairs in my approach to retirement. The vast majority of houses in Japan are two storied. Since my mid fifties, it became evident that going up and down stairs at the end of a long day, or doing that early in the morning with arthritis, it is a pain, pain, pain. I am only a tad overweight and can (have to) walk up 5 - 7 miles a day. (hey, this is Japan)

But stairs do a number on me and LOML in the privacy of our own home. Too much in old age!

I fully understand!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Too bad about moving. You have such a nice home. But I agree with you about one floor. If you are patient, you may find that exact home you want, detached shop, garage (2 car), etc.

We looked at 50 - 60 homes before we finally decided. The realtor actually walked out on us. But, he came to his senses and apologized, and made the deal.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Ken,

Sorry you have to lose your shop, even temporarily. But you have to do what you have to do.

My wife had a lot of trouble with her knee. She was bad enough that her knee would "pop", and when it did, I could actually hear it if I was in the next room. She opted for a series of injections (3) of Synvisc. This was 3 or 4 years ago, and it worked wonders when combined with anti-inflammatory medication. If you want more info on this, send me a PM.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Good luck to you, Ken. Nice place you have there.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Bigger shop. Make sure you have room for a larger shop.

Comment

• DonHo
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                • Craftsman 21829

I can identify. We moved from a two story because of bad knees a few years ago. And I got a bigger shop, of course that's not saying much. Before the move I only had a workbench in a corner of the garage and now I have a whole 12'X14' all to my self

Good luck on selling the house, and may the shop and tool gods smile on you.

DonHo
                Don

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Ditto what Cgallery said. When I built my "last house", I figured a 3-car garage would give me plenty of shop room, particularly with only one car. But my need (greed) for shop space has grown so much since then that I find myself rolling tools around and messing with DC hose all the time. What a PITA. But I have no room to add on, and I see now that a 3 or 4-car detached shop would've been a big help. Leave yourself with enough room (and no association restrictions) to do this.

Comment

• DUD
                    Royal Jester
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Ken
                    Good Luck on the sale and Moving down to one level. I also advise if You decide to build a new home to think about blocking in the walls in case of the need for rails around commode and tub. Also the Hallway needs to be wider, I was lucky in buying an old house that had big doors and a wide hallway. Bill
                    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have been cleaning and moving things for 2 weeks so the house will be decent for viewing. I didn't know I had so much stuff. I found things I forgot I had and some things I had 2 or more of. We will need a 3 car garage so I can store my tools until I get one built. My wife laughed at me today and said if the house did not sell at least we would have it in order.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...